1010music Blackbox

I do have trouble to connect my jacks. I now use extensions I had at hand. They are thinner. So you have to pay attention when buying cables.

I wonder how the new Roland mc-101 and mc-707 will compare with the blackbox. Iā€™m definitely interested in them, I love my blackbox too!

That little one looks fun and convenient. They definitely deserve their own thread.

Would love your thoughts on how you think the mc-101/707 measures up to the blackbox as far as features. I think itā€™s safe to say youā€™re one of the more knowledgeable people about the blackbox and I certainly look to you for tips advice and feedback about this stuff! I love the blackbox. But do you think these will replace it for you? From what you read and what you can see in videos, I would love your thoughts!

1 Like

Thatā€™s very kind of you to say, I really appreciate your appreciation :slight_smile:

On the 707, I donā€™t know. Thereā€™s so much to the workflow in a groove box and the Blackbox has that in spades. The Box also caters much to the live player in me, itā€™s like a tape recorder on speed. But Iā€™ve put myself up for a demo with the 707, so weā€™ll see. I can share my thoughts once I have them, for sure.

2 Likes

And on that note, I might as well share my latest Blackbox jam - my favourite so far.

11 Likes

Canā€™t wait to listen when Iā€™m off work! Youā€™re absolutely right, features aside, the workflow trumps all for groovebox usefulness. Could you see yourself keeping the blackbox regardless of how these MCs turn out? Is that just redudant?

I have 1 day left for my blackbox return period. I really like it, I donā€™t want to be someone that trades something just for the shiny new thing. But if these really do everything the blackbox does with great workflow, Iā€™m worried itā€™ll be silly to keep it. I really like Roland workflow, the tr-8s is a lot of fun and great to jam on!

1 Like

This is excellent. Are any of these elements chromatically sequenced or were they sampled that way?

1 Like

Portability is a big deal for me. Iā€™m bringing this little guy around everywhere and sample one shots, riffs, live playing and whatever and itā€™s so easy to string something together from that. Itā€™s like a hub to pour all your ideas in, again like carrying around endless amounts of tape with super convenience.

So Iā€™d imagine however the 707 turns out, these two boxes are quite different from each other and fulfill different needs. I canā€™t see myself any producer with a more DJ-like act in mind preferring the blackbox. I can see a lot of experimental or instrument-playing (piano, guitar and stuff) musicians prefer the blackbox, though.

1 Like

Thank you. The bass lines are chromatically sampled and played from the blackbox sequencer. The drums are a mix of loops and one shots, the one shots being stuff I sliced up within the blackbox. The leads are sequenced longer sections from a Tempest and a Prophet Rev2. So it really is a mix of a lot of things, and the blackbox sequencer is at the heart of it all.

1 Like

I should add that Iā€™m using the granular feature that was part of the latest update, to pour in some dust and scratch in the track. So thereā€™s that, too.

The thing is Iā€™m comparing the mc-101 to the blackbox. That I think is the real comparison. 2 AA batteries super portable and the same sound engine as the 707. 500 bucks too!! Have you looked at the mc-101 info and videos?

1 Like

Yep. Thatā€™s a no go for me. Doesnā€™t sample, only four tracks, and from what Iā€™m seeing, a fairly awkward workflow (but before I tried it, I could stand corrected over and over).

If I was going for a portable groove box of the more classic kind, then this one is pretty great. But the blackbox does something entirely different for me, so even if I had a 101, Iā€™d not consider it a competitor to the blackbox.

3 Likes

Here I go, as if I knew much about the MC-101. I donā€™t. Iā€™m just ranting :slight_smile:

1 Like

This rant is going to be the reason I keep my blackbox as well as get this 101!! Iā€™m a total groovebox addict and the more the merrier! But itā€™s hard for me to pick apart features and Iā€™m relatively new to this game so itā€™s really nice to get your thoughts!

Just listened, I selfishly wish you made a video showing your work flow and making a track cause all your stuff that you share is a cut above! Great job man!

2 Likes

@ circuitghost so will you sell off your OT?

2 Likes

Not there yet. Iā€™ve been with the OT for a long time. Thereā€™s so much you can do with the OT, that just wonā€™t happen elsewhere.

But it rarely amounts to anything, so itā€™s mostly a sweet distraction.

Also, for live purposes, the OT is still superior.

Thanks :blush:honestly, thereā€™s not all that much going on when I do stuff. I record, mix and match and with some luck, it amounts to a track. I could jot down a few best practices Iā€™ve learned with the blackbox, though.

1 Like

Thereā€™s something really singular and special about the blackbox workflow. Iā€™m playing with it tonight and there isnā€™t anything else like it really. Itā€™s so focused itā€™s almost a mediative process just exploring and making sounds. More than any other gear I have I find myself just calmy exploring and finding myself surprised where I end up.

Other gear can do this too of course, but it usually has a more anxious twitchy energy about it. That or the workflow is complicated that it doesnā€™t allow for this relax and float downstream Zen quality this box does. Does that make sense to other users?

Iā€™m gonna hang onto this for sure. Regardless of how awesome the Rolandā€™s are (and I canā€™t resist Iā€™ll definitely be trying them both) thereā€™s something undoubtedly unique and cool about this blackbox.

2 Likes