2021 Gear Purchase: Hits & Misses

Only hits for me in 2021 :

-1010 Bluebox. Perfect for live mixing or as a synth sub-mixer. Easy to use and small footprint.
-Tascam Model 12. It sounds good and feels just like a cassette portastudio in use.
-Erica Synth Syntrx. Feels like a synth of a lifetime. Solid construction.
-Roland MC101/707. Latest firmware update brought some significant improvements.

3 Likes

This.

2 Likes

can i ask why? i was really interested in it

1 Like

Perfect description. Agreed. I still love my Hydrasynth desktop as a sound design play thing and have it in my living room as one of two or three other boxes I often take and use separate from my studio (including MPC One and Octatrack) to just fiddle with.

2 Likes

I was waiting for my final 2021 orders to arrive before posting here (UDO Super 6, miniKORG 700 FS, BOUM) but it seems that those Synths will be for the 2022 Hits & Misses. I’m not sure anymore if all those Hits are from this year or the one before.

Hits :

• PERfourMER (simply a Magical Instrument)
  • Hologram Microcosm (Magical)
  • BIM, BAM (Fantastic add-ons)
  • BOUM (I did test it and love it)
  • CXM 1978 (a Marvel)
  • OT AE (needs no introduction)
  • Kenton Thru-12 (I went from a Thru-5 to a Thru-12 and I’ll probably upgrade to a Thru-25)
  • Vermona meloDICER (I really like their take on controlled randomness)
3 Likes

looks super cool. Wish it had more channels

1 Like

Used with a Sequencer like DT or OT on autochannel is very accommodating.

1 Like

Ha, I pre ordered the Hydra Explorer a little
while ago because the Sarah belle reid texture demos got me GAS’in. And I do want a deep synth to play with. The mutants are awesome and I do like the filters. I’m just hoping my new Boum will help it sit alongside the Take-5, Crave, Pro-1, Rytm

Speaking of Boum, that’s a massive HIT! Love it. It’s much more manageable/controllable than I anticipated and sounds even better than I imagined. I was prepared, even expecting to be totally disappointed but it really surprised me.

Very happy with this almost $150 over-retail purchase even though they say they’re restocking this month apparently

Limbic Bits’ Korg modwave demos have me wondering if that would be a better digital synth to get than the hydra though. It sounds almost organic and tactile somehow in the demos. Not noisy or dirty but “gritty” in a weird way. Seems very good at physical modeling. If they made a desktop version, I’d already have one

1 Like