2021 Gear Purchase: Hits & Misses

absolute GOLD

5 Likes

Spectrum is great, but should be noted that the same modules are also available in miRack/VCVRack

I had some fun with Spectrum as AUv3s in AUM and Nanostudio 2, before I got miRack and started playing with virtual Eurorack.

5 Likes

but only monophonic if I remember correctly

1 Like

More accurately, if you want polyphony, you have to do the extra work.

Not only must you add one oscillator per note of polyphony - you must also add and wire up VCA, filter, etc. to go with each oscillator.

I patched a 4-voice polysynth just to see how well the Quad MIDI Input module works. Well, it does work pretty well, but man it took soo… many… modules…

1 Like

Misses:

1. Digitakt. This device was my first jump into the elektron world. I love how it changed my approach to making music — specifically how it allowed me to make loops without ever stopping the jam (vs a 4-track tape approach). But I hate the sample drive+ workflow and I felt like I lost of lot of creative energy by scrolling through too many samples.

2. Beatstep Pro. It’s was a fun controller but it lacked a smooth workflow for ‘off grid’ sequencing that is important to me.

3. PO-33. I had fun with it for a weekend but I wish I never bought it.

Hits

1. Rytm MKII. The digitakt led me here and I don’t regret a thing. The workflow is pretty much identical to the digitakt expect instead of spending energy looking for the perfect sample, I can start with an analog machine and go from there. The only bit I miss is the mixer page :confused:

TBD

1. Subharmonicon. I’m really enjoying this but I’ve learned it takes my full attention to sound interesting. Like, if I let it run for more than 8 bars without fiddling with it, it starts to sound stale. I guess I’m just coming to terms that its a live-performance instrument and not a set-and-forget sequencer. I still need to give it a proper go with MIDI, my hope is that I can program it like a moog minitaur and really expand its sonic value.
2 Likes

All this Spectrum talk has me interested. I’m checking this out soon.

1 Like

Hits:

This ended up being a big year for me because I acquired 2 game-changing synths: an Arturia MatrixBrute and a Vermona PerFourmer MKII. Both boxes have leveled up my obsession with making electronic music in the same way that discovering Elektron machines did back when things first started for me. I have space for only 1 big ass synth in my studio, and that space is now forever dedicated to the 'Brute. The PerFourmer sits politely on my desk next to my Octatrack.

The one other noise making machine purchased this year was the Pittsburgh Modular SV-1 Blackbox. I haven’t fallen in love with it yet (modular), but i LIKE it very much. Its snappy envelopes kinda remind me of an SH-101 and it’s raw oscillators sound incredible.

One last hit is the OTO Bam. Turns my basement studio into a french cathedral.

Misses:

Both misses were pedals: OTO Bim and Red Panda Particle. The BIM seemed kinda boring to me. I guess i wanted a more performative delay pedal. The Red Panda was fine at first, but then it bricked as soon as it was too late to return it. So it’s gotta count as a miss.

What will this message be next year, I wonder. Maybe a Perkons will be on it.

5 Likes

I found a very discounted sv1b and got it spontanously because I was interested since a long time. But tbh there was only one thing that gave me a rational reason to get it: the tempo syncable lfos.
Those (and also the analog lfo a bit) are misses.
Very quirky to operate and also no nice results. ( compared to bassstation synced lfo or a4) Its not written in reviews but in comments of reviews…
Could you use the digital lfos for anything interesting or nice, am I missing something? Thanks greetings

Hits:

MC-101. This is kind of like one of those small swiss army knives. It’s a sound module loaded with good sounds. It’s a polyphonic sample player. It’s a drum machine. It’s a sequencer. It’s battery powered. Workflow-wise it goes right up to the line of being annoying, but never crosses it. Lots of nice little touches and shortcuts on the workflow. However, I got super busy for a few months and didn’t use it and have to re-learn how to use it now, so that’s a negative on the workflow.

Count to 5. I just got this and don’t fully understand it, but already it’s a favorite already just because it can do really weird reverse pitch shift stuff almost in realtime.

Misses:

Uno Synth Pro This was a tough one to let go. The sound is great. The dual filter layout is fantastic. Interface is a bit fiddly. When I turned mine on an odor started to emanate from it each session. I thought that was weird. Also it crashed on me early on. So I didn’t feel confident in the machine’s longevity and returned it. It honestly could have been a truly great synth if they expanded the interface a bit more.

Not Sure:

Model:Samples: I don’t use it much at all after buying it 8 months ago. I don’t know why.

1 Like

? plug-in utility?

did I miss this part?..

You can use it as a plug-in with OB.

1 Like

well, what do you know…never used the Heat with the box
thank you, will download the plug-in and venture into OB.

2 Likes

Annoyingly, one of the more interesting options, the mid/side processing, is ONLY available in Overbridge… until Overbridge cuts out entirely because that’s what it does. Still a great box on its own.

Hits:
Prophet 5 desktop… it’s sound and ease of use makes it and excellent synth
MPC live 2… portable studio in a box really happy with it

2 Likes

Hits:

Pulsar 23:
Even though I’m not a super fan of the original sound of the kick, it is so incredibly flexible that you can patch an incredible kick.
Flexible in every sense of the word, it’s all in all an incredible instrument.

Misses:

MPC One: repurchased after sellin my live mk1 two years ago.
Although it has a lot of lovely functions the core of it is really bulky to use.
For me if the core of the product is convoluted I tend to shy away from it, so even if it has all the bells and whistles of a space ship what’s the point of having it if I hate using it?

4 Likes

No doubt there is a bit of jumping between pages to get to things but personally it’s not so bad to me…
I think the live 2 is a better purchase with the battery and speakers not sure I would like the MPC one as much

I feel the opposite on the MPC, the core is as simple as it can be, load samples, bang pads, the rest is convoluted. I love this thread as it shows how wildly different people are with their gear and needs.

4 Likes

Hit: moog matriarch fantastic sound, tengible instrument feel
Hit: digitakt: direct and fun

Misses Mpc live 2: too many possibilities, too many steps to do something, probably inspiring if you understand it, but not appealing enough to spend time in it, so sold it within 2 months

4 Likes

Hits:
Lyra8. never letting this go.
Sherman filterbank 2. Crazy little piece of gear.

Uncertain:
Polivoks M. I love how it sounds, but miss a second oscillator a bit. Still, ive been enjoying it a lot.

Miss:
DFAM. Loved the way it sounds, but the sequencer was too limiting.

6 Likes

I knew it.

2 Likes