2022 Gear: Hits and Misses

Hits

ALM Busy Circuits Taiko
WMD Performance Mixer

Misses
Knobula Poly Cinematic

1 Like
  1. Audio line out/in for effects. If you only have an op-z getting a cheap fx pedal (I have ms70cdr) will massively elevate the op-z internal synths (which aren’t super strong in my opinion) and offer another creative manipulation avenue. The fx in op-z are ok, but a bit limited and can cause processor overload and tear the audio over usb-c.

2. Midi out to other synths without using the usb-c port. You can then bring that external synth sound into the op-z via line in. This is useful if you record the audio via usb-c. Maybe less useful if you have a mixer, but for portability being able to bring in external audio is so good.

There are other use-cases that I haven’t tried.

In my opinion they probably should have built the module in by default.

1 Like

On the fence: Rytm MK2

I’ve wanted one of these for ages, and I scored a sweet deal on a used one. Does it sound good? Yes. Is it cool? Absolutely! It just doesn’t fit into my workflow as well as I thought it would. I need to use it more before making any decisions about stay vs go.

On a positive note, the OT from last year is my new centerpiece and still going strong. A definite hit!

Hit: Digitakt. Don’t know why I waited so long to buy it.

1 Like

ive only sold (hardware) things so far this year. GAS so strong its almost a mental illness but im holding fast.
Toneboosters Flowtones synthesizer iOS app is the best surprise purchase for me so far this year. i have a limited taste in synths and regret most of my ios synthesizer purchases (yonac and icegear are exceptions) but this TB Flowtones is a real cracker of a synth for ambient and lofi. it does some of the best EPs ive heard out of a VA synth app.

I believe it is. A form of OCD. Certainly anxiety and depression are contributory factors as well.

2 Likes

Hits: Staying Sober
Misses: that bottle of vodka after that day

I’m just kidding, but thats what my mind came up with after scrolling through this thread xD

4 Likes

This is the case for me at least.

Hits:

• MPC Live 2 - the upgrade from the One was totally worth it for the battery alone.
  • Hydrasynth Explorer - amazingly versatile and great sounding synthesizer and suitable as a 37-key midi controller too.
  • Genelec 8030A - another upgrade, from the 8010D. I can almost mix bass now. (Who am I kidding.)

Misses:

• Roland JX-08 - too narrow as a synthesizer for me. One trick pony, even though it sounds fantastic.

On the fence:

• Roland MC-101 - lots to like about it, especially after the 1.8 update which turns it into a proper Zencore synth. Ultimately let down by its super clunky sequencer workflow.
3 Likes

As a rehab therapist (at my desk at the detox right now!) allow to me to say, CONGRATS!!! One of the hardest things to do.

2 Likes

Hits:

• M8 tracker (technically got it in late 2021, but I didn’t include it in last year’s update IIRC). No need to repeat what everyone else raves about, it’s an amazing project as long as you can get along with the tracker workflow.
  • Chase Bliss Habit. I didn’t go into this with super high hopes that I’d suddenly be whipping up whole tracks on it. Even without getting into the weirdo overdubbing and dip-switch territory, it’s a fun pedal to make guitar practice a bit more dynamic or to build up layers and tinker.

Misses:

• Birdkids Offgrid. I really wanted to like this, but the lack of customization for controls and the half-baked USB midi implementation really took the wind out of my sails on this one. Plus the company is dissolving, so future support for the device is ???. Sold it a couple weeks ago :frowning:

TBD:

• Oxi One Sequencer. I recently sold off all of my other midi controllers to get Oxi and so far it’s interesting. I really like that it has an internal battery and BLE midi, but some of the sequencer workflow feels cumbersome compared to Deluge. But I never hook up my Deluge to external devices, so maybe this has a place in my life. Kinda kicking myself for giving into GAS since its features overlap with Deluge so much, but time will tell on this one. If nothing else, it’s gotten me to use my iOS stuff a lot more. Oxi + Drambo + a few AUv3 is a powerful combo for sure, but it’ll all come down to whether or not I actually finish tracks with Oxi.
3 Likes

There’s still a while to go in this year and I have currently sold everything but I’m sure to return to 0-Coast and maybe Subharmonicon at some point.

Potential hit is going to be Hydrasynth Explorer. Only a week or two until I can finally own it :raised_hands:

One thing I kinda don’t miss (and I will be shot for this) is the Elektron sequencer. I think I’m done with it. Too much thinking, not enough feeling.

2 Likes

I totally understand. The elektron sequencer is great, but it’s first and foremost for programming things and not a particularly great performance tool in my opinion. I like it, but it’s a very different approach than I take with my MPC or a keyboard.

4 Likes

Hits

SSL Big Six-- Started out as a miss and frustrating headache with the grounding issue and software bugs, but eventually it was all sorted out and the Big Six has become my central piece of studio gear. Being an early adopter can be rocky–a lesson I never seem to learn.

SSL Bus+ – After a lot of second guessing whether I needed a hardware bus compressor, the Bus+ has turned out to be an essential part of my studio and the fastest way for me to get (more) polished mixes and masters. The Bus+ goes into deep territory beyond simple compression and seems almost miraculous in its ability to shape recordings.

Syntakt – Instant love for me as generally a non-Elektron person. 12 channels feels luxurious and between the great sounds, fx block and a sequencer I can use with my modular–it’s been a solid addition to my gear. As happy as I am, the coming update is going to make it even better.

CB Habit and OBNE Float – My only pedals besides the Soma Cosmos–these are both awesome additions to my non-modular gear. Habit is particularly nice for electroacoustic work and Float is so much fun after the Syntakt.

Showing promise

A friend lent me his 1010 Blackbox for my quad set at Knobcon and it worked great with zero practice. Super easy way to manage loops and samples despite my touchscreen allergies. Ordered immediately and it looks like it’ll become a staple for playing out and the occasional multichannel sound installation.

Misses

I’ve had it for a long time, but once again the Morphagene wasn’t reliable for another gig and I’m on the verge of letting it go. When it works it’s transcendent, but the interface is possibly the worst of any of my modules. The inability to simply lock playback to 1X or octaves is frustrating and recalling loops/reels is just as frustrating. Blackbox will likely push it out of my performance case.

2 Likes

Hits

Korg Wavestate - I use it as a riff machine. Fun to twist the 8 Mod Knobs and listen to how the riffs change in response. Needs a damper pedal in most cases, to sustain a chord to free up both hands for knob twisting. Haven’t gotten into program wave sequences or anything really, as I’m satisfied with the preset packs that I bought for it.

Korg Opsix - The Altered FM engine is quite versatile - can do the normal FM, VA, more experimental tones, etc. Love a lot of the sounds.

Roland TR-6S - Most of the time I’m ok with the samples-only Drum Tracks on the MC-101/707. For the times that I want a livelier drum sound, programming sample layers/switching can get tedious. The answer for me turned out to be drum synthesis. TR-6S is a great fit for me there, especially when it was on discount, seemingly coinciding with the firmware update that added new FM drum models. The instruments in the MC drum kits are by default MIDI-mapped to the TR-6S - kick to kick, snare to snare, etc. which makes sequencing the TR from the MC quite easy. Setup of the TR-6S to receive program change from the MC was a little more confusing but once that was done, it’s been pretty reliable. All in all, a nice little addition to the setup.

5 Likes

Bought:

Korg ER-1
Pioneer XDJ-RX
Subpac S2

Sold:

Moog DFAM
Ableton Push 2
Behringer TD-3
Pioneer DDJ-400
Korg Volca Beats
Behringer Deepmind 12D

2 Likes

It does say “TRS STEREO” directly under the input jack.

2 Likes

Hits:
Roland T-8 Beat Machine
Strymon Timeline

Misses:
Keeley Darkside pedal

The T-8 drum machine is more fun than it should be. Pleasantly surprised.

2 Likes

What didn’t you like about the RM1X?

There is an upcoming Syntakt update or just wishful thinking? I know there will be some eventually.

1 Like