3 Years of Brexit… what are your thoughts?

I don´t think it would have been with a feel payback or revenge. Norway and Switzerland never were members of the EU so that´s a nother story.
I would have been dangerous for the EU if they would have let Brittain get away with a lot of advantages after the Brexit as instead of staying.
This might have had encouraged some other countries to do likewise.
That could have torn the EU apart I suspect.

That’s true, I think both apply but there was a massive sentiment of “let’s the brits suffer” in the EU.

I remember those ones : UK must pay price for Brexit, says François Hollande | Brexit | The Guardian

Never has been my opinion. I always thought we were friendes. How can I let a friend suffer if he makes somthing dumb.
Will I stand up and try to help?
It was a bad decision to leave but I always thought that it would most of all impact the people not Camerons, Johnsons, Mays…you name it.
That´s what politicians made out of a good plan.
The EU was formed as an instrument to tie together former enemies.
That worked quite well. The european continent was a place of war for hundreds of years.
Not so after 1945.

I am really sad. This was the dream of my youth (in my 50ies) that all this leads to more togetherness.

Brexit analysis is costing the Elektronauts ~100 tracks a year in lost output
Brexit analysis is benefiting the Moderators ~100 flags a year in increased output

Brexit analysis was supposed to be about the impact on gear purchasing but 200 posts in it’s mostly anything but that

Meanwhile on teh politics forum on the Guardian they’re arguing the toss about analogue versus digital synthesis :zonked:

Kindly refrain from flagging because you disagree and it’d be nice if posts didn’t merit flagging too - then everyone is happy, reading is optional btw; i’ve muted this but keeping getting notifications :tongue:

9 Likes

Wars in Europe since 1945 : Two Greek Civil Wars (1944-1945 and 1946-1949), two Spanish Civil Wars (1945-1950, 1968-1979 in the Basque Country), three Cyprus Wars (1955-1959, 1963-1964, 1974), the Hungarian Uprising (1956), the Northern Ireland War (1969-1997), the wars in Romania (1989), Moldavia (1992), Slovenia (1991), Croatia (1991-1995), Bosnia (1992-1995), Kosovo (1998-1999), Macedonia (2001) and the Ukraine War (since 2014).

A lot of the comments in this thread are peoples thoughts on the (ongoing) politics around Brexit… probably led by my asking peoples ‘thoughts’ on it… maybe I should have said ‘what are your direct experiences?’, that’s more what I was interested in.

As I said early on, I’ve NOT witnessed or perceived any benefit from it personally.

The consequences are there though. My business in the UK has seen orders/exports to the EU drop drastically, and, for what EU customers there are left, complaints around paying taxes have rocketed… so business is down.
This has been artificially eased by the Covid pandemic… I was lucky enough to be in a business sector that is recreational/hobbyist at a time when people wanted these products in lockdown.
But, pull the lockdown support away, and the remaining landscape is bleak.
I’ve also personally suffered from the UK Gov incompetence in making GBP crash to its lowest level in my lifetime… meaning my imports from overseas, paid in USD, that were already rising in price, shot to ridiculous levels… then the joys of having to pay increased import taxes/duties/VAT to the same f*ckwits who have caused it is another kick in the balls.

I’m now in the very real consideration of relocating my business into the EU (either Benelux or Spain are on my radar), which will remove the majority of my tax contributions away from the UK. Is this what Brexit was for??

For the last 3 years I’ve been working on the assumption that ‘this is so f*cking dire, and a joke, surely something has got to be done to help businesses soon!?’… but, no. There’s been zero done. Worse, they’ve made things worse.

Anyway, anyone else got personal skin in it?

5 Likes

Thank you for the history lesson. I would lough if it wasn´t true and bitter.
But:
Wars in Europe since 1945 : Two Greek Civil Wars (1944-1945 and 1946-1949)
Member since 1981

Spanish Civil Wars (1945-1950, 1968-1979 in the Basque Country),
Member since 1986

Cyprus Wars (1955-1959, 1963-1964, 1974),
Member since 2004

Hungarian Uprising (1956),
Member since 2004

the Northern Ireland War (1969-1997)
Member since 1981 and yes this falls into the time of membership

Romania (1989),
Member since 2007

Slovenia (1991),
Member since 2004

Croatia (1991-1995)
Member since 2013

Bosnia (1992-1995), Kosovo (1998-1999), Macedonia (2001) and the Ukraine War (since 2014).
No members

Sorry for being not precise enough when I stated “no war” and I think you know what I meant.

Ever heard of “Erbfeindschaft” between Germany and France.
Have look at the 19th and 20th century and conflicts that werde embeded into this european project.

1 Like

Sadness and fear. Sorry, no econmical experiences.

So the EU is only concerned in preventing war between it’s members ? Knowing that you can’t enter the EU if you are in any sort of conflict. For example Ukraine wouldnt have been allowed to enter the EU because it’s conflict in Donbass (not even talking about the russian invasion).

The EU don’t prevent conflicts, it just makes sure to allow in those with no borders or civilian conflicts anymore.

Anyway, you don’t need the actual EU to do that. France and Germany started their cooperation before the monstrosity that has become the EU.

Don’t know, but we export a lot of gas to Europe too.

If you look at when the EU (Montan-Union) was created you have to answer this with yes.
It was the attempt to keep france safe and also let germany grow again.
This has worked out quite well.

And yes of course. A lot of wrong things have been done (german mistakes heavily included).

That´s what i am saying.
If the EU as a whole is good idea…I don´t know.
But that the Brits turn their backs towards the rest of europe…this is a bad idea. And it makes me sad. (And all the conflicts that you mentioned, corruption, you name it)
I have a heart for the people.

2 Likes

That’s a problem. As an example the EU is actively fostering the war in Ukraine. A similar conflict, the invasion of Georgia by Russia, was “put down” by a ceasefire that Sarkozy negociated when the EU was basically nowhere in sight.

The EU has failed in that regard and, right now, the decision of people like Von Der Leyen (that hasnt been elected by the EU people) are putting us at risk of a world war.

But that’s just my opinion as I have a massive disdain for every EU politician and complete distrust about the use of the actual union as a whole.

1 Like

Current OT prices

Thomann Germany: £1,342.65

Upsalla Musik Verkstad Sweden: 15.749 KR = £1.233 (xe.com exchange rate)

Andertons UK: £1,179.00 (including VAT)

1 Like

Please, peace.
I will get out of this discussion now.
I wish you all the best. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Really mind blowing.

It’s out of stock at Andersons so this tells you exactly nothing

1 Like

OT in stock and £1,180 at Rubadub

2 Likes

Ex vat about the same as Sweden then.

On a more personal level as requested by OP: I used to buy quite a bit from UK. Since brexit none. It’s simply too expensive with import duties. To me it’s such a waste that this the situation amongst other reasons.
I can imagine this in general being a big dent smaller UK businesses’s profits. No idea how that can be a good thing

3 Likes

I used to think this way but the EU having no accountability and acting with Ditkats and no way for populations to even have a chance to vote them out isn’t a price that should be paid IMO.

Why not have a go at the EU for how they rule and enforce what they want. It was never meant to be a Government which is how they operate, as an unelected one.

Governments are increasingly showing how corrupt and authoritarian they are, yet we should just give them a pass for the sake of some trade.

I include our government in that as said before but at least there is some recourse and direct action that can be taken.

Look at what they are doing to farmers in the NL. Thats a result of the EU/WEF.

2 Likes

Look again; it’s the grey one listed as out of stock. The new Black MK2 is in stock

2 Likes