3 Years of Brexit… what are your thoughts?

People in this country are very easily manipulated by the ruling class. That’s all there is to it imo & I don’t see it changing. The shelves in Asda were shockingly half empty yesterday & everytime you go in a shop the prices have risen. We are paying 5x more than anywhere else in the EU for our utilities, but just keep that upper lip stiff. I despise what the U.K. has become, we’re being sucked dry by vampires & most of the population are somehow fine with it.

I try to not get involved in the discussions anymore or pay attention to any media, but seeing the food prices rising by the week is pretty hard to ignore.

This is old now, but someone sent it to me & it says it all:

“What is the EU?” and “What happens if we leave the EU?” were top searches.
Fascinating.

1 Like

I’m still annoyed because I can’t get my Nando’s sauce from Amazon UK without paying a premium

1 Like

Do you have Irelands price?

I paid around half an Octatrack for last month’s energy bill. I’m hoping the other half OT will cover this month. :sob:

1 Like

Meanwhile war profiteers Shell just raked in historic profits of £32.2bn in 2022.

2 Likes

Maybe you guys should have tried 3 years of breakfast instead?

1 Like

I didn’t see that option on my ballot but if I had, it would definitely have got my vote.

1 Like

I’m in.

4 Likes

A required figure of 60 or 66% would have been reasonable for a binding referendum. However this wasn’t, in law, a binding referendum, it was an advisory one which a later government chose to treat as if it was binding.

EDIT and since the whole process has been reviewed by the highest court, I think it’s fair to say there’s nothing legally or constitutionally wrong with that. I’d agree it’s pretty shit though.

2 Likes

No its a philosophical question, are we not equal?

Having any number that benefited either side of the argument would have been seen as undemocratic.

I have no idea tbh, we used to publicly own all of our utilities now they are owned by other countries like France. The Tories had a car boot sale with the majority of our assets in the 80s, and they’re now finishing up with the NHS which is all that’s left & is being intentionally ground into dust. The public think that striking nurses are the problem & have no idea about what private US healthcare looks like.

I feel sorry for the future young people have in store for them.

3 Likes

The whole saga feels like a bunch of irrelevant pensioners fucking over their own grandchildren to spite their children.

7 Likes

You’re confusing equality of access and rights to equality of ideas - I specifically mentioned this problem.

You and I ought to have equal ability to express ourselves and make our opinions etc known, but the whole point of debate, politics and thought is to assess ideas.

I have every right to claim that 2+2=5, but it’s absurd to claim this assertion is equal to 2+2=4.

In the political sphere it obviously gets much more complex than that, which is exactly why we can’t just have irrefutable experts, but this doesn’t mean we need to abdicate our faculty of reason, or pretend expertise has no value.

2 Likes

I remember that old Tory Ken Clarke almost crying at the last parliamentary debate that could possibly have prevented brexit under T.May…

that was the old tories… the new ones…
take a shit on the floor in the middle of the room, call it a cake and force us all to eat it…

1 Like

I have no skin in this game, but just to bring some music back into the thread :wink:

3 Likes

:woozy_face: