4-operators FM synths

worth a gander (eurorack, though) / it looks quite fun and accessible, knob per function, etc.

I’ve been building FM synths on my old Nord Modular G1 based on this video

Had some pretty pleasing results :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. Not this one. I have to search in my mess…
I found this much deeper pdf :
http://javelinart.com/fm-synth-programming.html

3 Likes

And the V50 is bitimbral.

Ah yes, that one I have been studying, too! There’s an adaption to Digitone in case you’re interested.

2 Likes

I believe even multi-timbral!

The cheap way would be to get a PSS-480 (or 580/680/780) 4 op fm synth with cheesy 80’s presets but editable sounds ( + an editor on computer) . 12 voice polyphony, polyphonic portamento, 16 part multitimbrality. A lot of character, hiss and noise. I got one for 50 euros recently.

2 Likes

I regret say I’ve also been on a fm psr kick lately. I really don’t need another thing to collect!

1 Like

I’m interested…

1 Like

From @B_LD :wink:
The PDF can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dLrLAFyj1qOBhgkgtjH0oDM67nwY9DkMXg1a5tIjvx4/

5 Likes

Yeah you’re right.

Nobody mentionned the FB 01 ?
Sounds good ! Editable and controllable with SYSEX.

I just ordered one for 90€.
And a PreenFm2 on its way so I think I’ll be ok with FM (+Hydrasynth, Micromonsta 2, Typhon, Syntakt).

2 Likes

I didn’t keep the FB01, PreenFm2 sounding as good or better with a much better UI, filters, fx, random, editing without the need to send SYSEX !

had a DX-11 back in the day and Digitone now, anyone with experience on either know generally what algo/settings he’s using here on the FB-01 to get the classic Nitro/Inner City stab patch?

For 4-op easy editing on hardware look into Yamaha YS100/200, B200, and TQ5.

Definitely overkill for this single feature, but the Jomox Alpha Base includes a 6-voice FM synth with 4 operators.

2 Likes

Didn’t know that, what a crazy thing to add to an analogue drum machine!

2 Likes

I guess with just a few tweakable settings…

This one wouldn’t change my current preference for PreenFm2 as a small standard FM synthesizer.

Opsix seems very good. Been impressed by its sound recently. I’d like a desktop version, because :

Hydrasynth (Explorer) is really capable, very wild FM capacities with several operators, wavemorphing, possibility to combine them in ring mod, pan each osc…

1 Like