A coherent collection of modern porta studio solutions

funny enough: when i first heard the name Octatrack i hoped that would be such a thing… 7 (?) years later, still nothing

2 Likes

I was thinking, if you’re looking for synced sequential tracking, why not Octatrack, once more?
It has 2min more recording time than the OP-1, and once you fill up the RAM, bounce that to a static machine, you have another 8min, etc.
I thought it would be fair to bring it up, since you mentioned some people record that way on OP-1 and the old Roland samplers.
Of course, it’s not as compact, portable, sexy and colourful as the OP-1… and you need that power supply.

2 Likes

In fact, it can be, its workflow is just not optimized for recording, especially not simultaneous multitracking of long parts.

Did you get the hiccups even though the USB formatting process said the stick was OK?
I haven’t encountered hiccups yet…

that´s the point. i use the OT like that, but as you might know it´s far away of the convenience of a portastudio. i´d wish a real Octatrack ! like an 8-track machine with the possibility to arrange stuff in the box including 8 inputs, faders…a mixture of the elektron OT and an ordinary 8 track recorder

1 Like

It’s a thought, for sure. But I’m taking a break from Elektron stuff and wanna try to do things differently. I’n keeping the Heat, tho. And I think that the Octatrack is the last piece of Elektron that’ll leave my mind, if ever. It’ll always be special.

Yes but maybe I have to invest in a quality stick. I usually use it via firewire into audacity. But if the stick would work reliable it would be the better option. I ll give it another try. I thought the hiccups were due to the b-name, because otherwise the mixer is very good bang for buck. I wish someone would build a mini mixer with direct USB stick multitracking

Definitely thing the sync is lacking on the modern multi-track recorders. One solution would be sacrificing a channel for SMPTE and using that for sync. I have lately been sparing a track for click to sync the modular rather than using MIDI, though I am using a DAW as a multi-track, so plenty of I/O.

@hereiamhere75 The fabled elektron mixer/sequencer/recorder with at least 8 ins and maybe even 8 outs or sends, direct CF, SD or USB recording and a console-like UI that the forum was pining for, after Rytm came out.
There’s a few mockups around that I would have loved to see become reality. Sigh… maybe in 2049.

@andreasroman Then OP-1 might be the best choice right now, if only for its portability. (you mentionend taking it to a friend’s studio to layer tracks…)

@pmoldzio I use a not so new 16GB TDK stick (2011, I think) which seems to work fine for now… fingers crossed.
I think presonus, soundcraft and even A&H missed the boat on the portable mini mixer with flash recording. A&H has the Qupac at least, but I don’t really gel with the UI and price.

1 Like

@all I had the exact Same thoughts. Tascam DP008 in my case was ok to use, but Transfer to Computer a Bit tedious.
The Tape Emulation from the OP1 is brilliant! This AS a standalone machine with 6 - 8 Tracks and that nice OLED and with 6 analog Inputs and high Standard FXs…Instant buy!

I had very high hopes that the OT would become this, but its storage/Project structure is Like a Nightmare for me to understand and too Many steps must be done upfront for recording.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve picked up an OP-1 now, from a fellow Naut no less😊convenience and portability were the final deciding factors, in the end.

Whoops I chimed in too late just kidding

I do entertain the idea of just designing this thing myself, though.

I spent a lot of time over the last two years on this very topic. My dream device:

• 4 to 6 stereo pairs in - line in 1/4" TR jacks
  • one pair can also be configured as two mono mics w/preamps
  • record all inputs to some digital media (post preamp & gain trims & pads, but pre-mixer)
  • media must be integral: so SDcard or USB stick or internal HD or SSD okay
  • mix the above to a master stereo pair
  • multi-band EQ on master (for adjusting for venue)
  • balanced master output
  • separate monitor mix & output

This is primarily for live performance situations: I want to record the parts so I can make a good mix later, and I need to produce a mix for the house and perhaps the stage monitor.

I ended up with a Zoom R-16, which I’ve been using heavily for the last two years. It doesn’t fit all the points: In particular the UI is fiddly, the effects are pointless, the master EQ too difficult to use, and no monitor mix. BUT - the damn thing just runs and runs, runs on batteries (so if someone unplugs it - it just keeps going!) and is small and light. We record at 44.1kHz / 24bit - and there is just plenty to work with when I bring the tracks into a DAW to edit and mix.

Audio quality is fine for my use: Live shows, and the recordings are clean.

Other devices I’ve considered:

• Cymatic - UI way to fiddly, annoys me that I can’t record, say, 6 tracks, mixing capability too awkward to use live
  • QSC TouchMix - meets all of my specs and then some - for my live use a touch screen is fine… but… this one has a laggy screen response, and not multi-touch! C’mon QSC, it’s 2017!
  • A&H QuPac - expensive, but capable - perhaps too much so - and the UI looks like WAY too much to deal with.

Does someone uses an IPad with Aura or similar for portable recording together with an iConnect Audio?

I’m hoping that it will allow sync and audio recording of the POs. I would love to have the Op-Z, PO32, PO33, and my iPhone as my portable/travel rig.

Same here!! OP-1 with more tracks and more ins/out but same tape operation would be my dream-machine.

3 Likes

I don’t think the OP-Z will have linear recording like the OP-1, the tape is just for fx so it samples always in the background a short section of audio.

2 Likes

In other news I’m awaiting delivery of a prototype product that I designed that will allow up to 4 Pocket Operators to be mixed, synced and recorded to the OP-1, for portable portastudio fun :wink:

Link:

5 Likes

Has this already been mentioned?

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/sound-devices-mixpre-10m-first-look

I know Sound Devices’ gear is quite highly regarded wrt sound q

2 Likes