A Guide to AUTECHRE

On the Monomachine I’m well into the drum sounds. Odd choice, I know but they’re dope. A really tasty selection.

I agree.

1 Like

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 21.11.21

What about this eh? had a proper listen today.

It’s like they’ve sampled the cream of old school breaks, hits and samples and mangled them all up into a non stop frenzy of every mutating freshness. The scratches sound real, and in some cases are but then seem re mangled into a cohesive groove. They’ve mentioned their DJ system before, and this seems an evolution of that, it’s all so smooth, groovy and seamless but with a rawness of the ones and twos. Wonderful stuff.

3 Likes

Haven’t had a proper sit down listen yet, but I’ve had it on in the background cooking dinner.
Your description seems about right. The total reduction and remanufacturing of hip hop into something completely new but the same.

Very good.

I’ve had an MD for a lot of years and each time I listen to this I find new grooves and sounds. I’ve really resisted the urge to load the sysex as I kinda don’t want to look behind the curtain.

honestly…it won’t blow you away. its just good beats.
its worth checking out.

1 Like

Yep, the thing that blew me away most was mainly how simple it was.

Mainly just good beats, lots of simple LFOs On the snares, the occasional ram machine, and plenty of the FM machines. But nothing more really than good beats.

I keep it as a project just to poke around in every once in a while. @steve-b, definitely worth a look.

I think the only thing that got me, that I never thought of, seems like you guys are all quite familiar with, was using trigs to cut off a sound. dunno why I never considered that, feels dumb not figuring that one out. but…learned something.

1 Like

this is my point. It will reveal my lack of talent and ineptitude :smiley:

I’m with ya on that one. But I can tell by just listening to my own tracks :wink:

For those who may not have heard this…I certainly had no idea. But pleased to find a Gescom side project

Dual Purpose

6 Likes

Another killer example of an MD workout

6 Likes

Always wondered how you do that long sustained drone without the sound resetting when the pattern loops.

Ae…so good.

think there’s non elektron elements in that track

Ya they were using MD, MNM, MPC and Nord those days [i believe]

that was for the live setup, never take for granted what they were using in the studio tho.

1 Like

maybe it’s huge delay/reverb times/feedback and muting a track. the delay/reverb keeps going until the heat death of the universe right?

thoughts on the Sophie remix?

i love it, stripped back electro funkaclopse, make sure you hear with subs.

Ya I really like it too. I’m kinda hoping they hold off on the Max patch for a bit and do a little more of this [or their] old school stuff.

hmmmm. i like to think romantically that’s a programmed 606 but some of the movement and processing sounds like samples in their patch… would love to be proved wrong

I’m not saying that that was the patch. I was saying I would prefer more music like this remix or the last Gescom drop.

I WOULD, however, prefer they let that patch rest for a bit. Tho very cool…it’s kinda played out.

2 Likes