A Show of Shows - Superbooth, SFF, NAMM - Spring 23

So what the heck is an electromechanical synth? Does it mean that one has to operate pedals to provide it with electricity?

2 Likes

Don’t be silly, you can use a hamster of course.

6 Likes

No, nothing like that :smile:

The clue is in the “mechanical” part of the name. Electromechanical instruments generate their sound from actual mechanical moving parts. For example an electric piano is electromechanical because the sound you hear was produced through both the mechanical strike of the hammer and the amplification produced by the electricity. It can take any form where both electricity and something of a mechanical nature is involved in producing the sound.

As was pointed out a few days back, due to it being an actual synthesizer, Korg will likely have been developing miniaturised mechanical components so that they’re small enough to mount on the circuit boards. Don’t ask what, because that’s anyone’s guess, but I suppose they could be tiny modules that can be patched together somewhat like a modular synth, but where you would normally have an analogue or digital oscillator, you might instead have a collection of actual electromechanical components generating the sound, hence the “Acoustic” aspect of it.

A real spring reverb is also an electromechanical device, because it’s an electrically powered device that uses a physical mechanical spring to produce the sound.

Korg didn’t use the term ‘electromechanical’ by the way, but since it is clearly an electrically powered device and they refer to it as “Acoustic”, I think there’s a very good chance it’s electromechanical in some way.

3 Likes

For monophonic or LFO, this should be good enough :cool:

1 Like

Are those knobs like some kind of black and white tie dye type thing? The knobs, buttons(?) and potentiometers looks weirdly like an AI created image. I know they’re not, but I can’t tell you how long I stared at them trying to figure out wtf I was looking at.

Enlarge the image Jukka provided and look at the underside of the second board from the top.

I see an array of large black components arranged in a neat line, all of them large enough to be miniaturised electromechanical components designed by Korg.

They could be cast from 3d printing scraps, but that’s just a guess.

1 Like

4 Likes

Sorry, I haven’t see that one so the joke is lost on me :blush:

off-topic

here it is, such a wonderful movie: https://youtu.be/xbq0OuJtErs?t=235

1 Like

Is it too much of a stretch to imagine that this is Korg’s response to the Motor Synth? Or maybe even a bunch of Gamechanger Audio ideas licensed/collaborated on in one desktop device?

Also, don’t know if this was posted but this demo is fantastic:

4 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking and the cues are there, but then again it could be nothing of the sort.
It’s got me curious whatever it is!

1 Like

Some of those parts on the bottom pcb look way too chunky to be the typical discrete components you’d find on a synth.

this looks interesting: https://lambdasynthetics.com/

27 Likes

Looks real nice!

Anybody have a mop?

5 Likes

Some features listed on this shot.

14 Likes

Nope Gaz wont be at Superbooth. He’s forced to play with Charlotte Church at Eurovision.

1 Like

Seems like an M8 with a different formfactor to me.

3 Likes

Retrokits (from facebook)

We decided to subrent some table space on our W450 @superbooth_berlin table for reaalllyy small smart music tools.
This guy is a bit strange, but … whatever pays the bills 😀

5 Likes