A thought on Rick Rubin

Can’t be arsed with you today.

Isn’t there someone else you can disagree with for a bit?

1 Like

Most advise is bullshit unless carefully thought about and selectively applied to one’s life. Anyone who goes on YouTube looking to watch a video that will change their life is only changing channels.

I dunno.

I’d say those midi chord pack videos made me the miserable, angry old cunt who hates midi chord packs that I am today.

4 Likes

Well, did you take ivermectin when you watched them?

1 Like

Funny you should say it - I got inspired to try meditation, by a YouTube video, where Rick Rubin talked about it.
I changed my life in a lot of ways, one of them being, that I no longer get worked up by innocent remarks from other people, that might be interpreted as unbecoming. Just let that shit go. It’s so minor.

3 Likes

I get you and have experienced similar. But, if I watch a video meant to be motivational which are generally full of platitudes etc., I pick out the bits makes sense to me / can be applied to my life in some way and much like you; ignore or disregard the parts which annoy me.

You should checkout audiodharma.org if you haven’t. I find most of the dharma talks on there to have something potentially life changing and helpful even if you’re not interested in going full Buddha. The guided meditation sessions with Gil Fronsdale are a really good way to get into meditation, at least they were for me.

1 Like

Don’t be bitter. It’s easier to front million dollar advances and book large professional studios at $100/hr (in 1982 $) when your health, food, family and housing are all paid for and in perfect shape, and you can afford to not earn an income for 6-9 months at a stretch thanks to how liquid you are. Surely this describes 99% of us reading this, right?

Classism is stupid. I also think it’s a tad silly to ignore the extreme advantages and disadvantages that may accompany wealth and poverty. To distill this down to “work ethic” and risk aversion is just a bit simplistic perhaps. My opinions are based on my life experiences, perhaps yours differ.

2 Likes

Whose wife here said that thing about when by defend your limitations you own them? That is something to meditate on and seems like a lot of limitation defending is going on in this thread, even if the limitations are ones we were born into…

1 Like

Not many of them enjoying semi-retirement while they breed their award winning show horses on their estate, eh?

2 Likes

Thank you - I will :+1:

2 Likes

I wasted a lot of my time in my 20s and 30s preoccupied with bitterness over the trust fund kids outpacing me. Sometime in my 40s I looked in the mirror and realized that the person holding me back was the one without a trust fund. Lamenting over what sucessful artist came from affluence is just another spoke in the wheel of self sabotage.

2 Likes

I agree Cal Newport is worth reading!
I’ve only read “deep work”.
It was recommended to me be a colleague I admire.
I I enjoyed it very much and took away 1 or 2 messages to try in my work that were valuable to me. I’ll have to check this one out.
//

I don’t think you’re too cynical, at least you’re not more cynical than I am.

I also agree that it’s easy for a hall-of-fame level pro to say “Follow your dreams”, And that Rubin, who’s probably produced at least 1 of everybody’s favorite albums might be on a different kind of journey than your average Elektronaut.

The “hard work pays off” mantra is referred to by academics as the “bootstrap” mentality, and it’s championed by successful people and those in favorable circumstances. Very few people in ivory towers are going to tell stories about how they lucked into it or how they were born into it.
Hard work pays off, some of the time, for some people. Other times, for other people, it doesn’t.
Who you know, right place, right time, and actual talent are all factors that should be considered.
It’s just a statistically flawed proposition that everyone will make it if they follow their dreams, try hard, and take risks.
Half the people who have all the right credentials for artistic stardom are not going to make it.
at the same time - “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” (W. Gretzky).
life’s a bitch.

3 Likes

Just as competence, innovation and creativity aren’t guarantees of “success”.

2 Likes

Language changes and all that, but it kills me how pervasive “bootstraps” is when “to pull yourself up by your bootstraps” is literally to do an impossible thing

3 Likes

Q: What led to your success?

A: Well, in some ways I was the right person at the right time. I also had a massive amount of support along the way and I couldn’t have achieved what I did without a large team of people helping me at every step. I was fortunate enough to have access to experts with decades more experience that mentored and inspired me. I realize I am extremely lucky, and I am also grateful to have had such an amazing opportunity.

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

I never thought about the semantics of the phrase.

1 Like

Happy Friday, everyone.

1 Like

Rich people might have a benefit to become successful
But successful people are not born rich

Lots of them are.

2 Likes

True, but that counts for everything

You can be born privileged

There is a lot of info in the book that might help both, privileged and un-priviledged people