Ableton co-founder Robert Henke thinks we should bring back CDs

Of course, by far the biggest impact of all would be to not have kids or at least have fewer of the little blighters. We’re in this mess because of overpopulation, which necessitates such levels of industrialisation to feed, shelter and clothe everyone. Now I’ll be leaving before the bottles start flying my way :slight_smile:

I think we could save this burning ship without full blown ecofascism, but personally I agree with you.

Birth rates are falling since the 60’s, according to this article.

1 Like

Yeah but look at the total population now compared to previous decades, and it’s still going up, predicted to top out at around 11 billion.

Anyway, it’s too gloomy to think about :frowning:

Yeah its weird though, falling birth rates but growing population - HTF does that work? :laughing: (rhetorical)

1 Like

aka “Your argument may be right but not in line with my opinion so I will downplay it by saying that it’s just not relevant but dont say why” good old coginitve dissonance at work :slight_smile:

pretty cheap rhetoric trick by the way…I can see why some people left the discussion here really fast…

It’s not overpopulation (atm): we have more than enough resources to sustain everyone.

It’s the rich.

And their political puppets enabling them.

6 Likes

Surely not all these rich virtuous celebrities though, right?

:laughing:

1 Like

Sadly we are probably all in the richest 10% globally. Some of the synth collections seen in this board could feed a mid sized African village for a decade.

3 Likes

I do not disagree with you.

According to this article a family net worth of $1,000,000 is top 10% - I can’t speak for others but I am nowhere near that, nor would I want to be.

*in the US

On average, an individual from the top 10% will earn $122,100, but an individual from the bottom half will earn just $3,920.

Global measurements aren’t really helpful though, when looking at individuals. Someone with a million dollars has an incredible amount of wealth in some less-developed countries, but in the UK or US has comparatively much less - in many large cities they’d be unable to afford even a small house.

$122,100 earnings is still a fair chunk of change.

Also Klaus Schwab WEF chairman is doing his bit :laughing:

LOL

https://youtu.be/Dtv76xAYg28

2 Likes

The point is that our consumption habits - yours, mine, probably most people’s here on this board, Westerners - contributes disproportionally to the collapse of a hitherto beautifully balanced ecosystem.

I think it better to acknowledge that fact and begin looking at what we can all do better. And I don’t mean just consumption habits, but also political engagement. Because this shit is only going to get much, much worse.

1 Like

Exactly. You only need to look at raw material consumption per capita for developed nations to see that we are the problem.

1 Like

We as individuals can’t do better, that’s the thing. Things needs to change on the system level or there will be no meaningful change at all.

5 Likes

Agreed. I edited a bit while you were responding.

I’m not sure if western democracy is capable of change as drastic as we need right now. Because it will not be what most people want. People will move norther or to higher elevation rather than stay and live a sustainable lifestyle.

Maybe not. But we’ve come a long way, legislatively speaking (at least in the States).

In July, 1997, the Senate voted 95–0 (led by another West Virginia Democrat, Robert Byrd) to pass a resolution stating that the United States should not be a signatory to what became the Kyoto Protocol, arguing that it asked too much of this nation and too little of developing countries. Vice-President Al Gore came back from the Kyoto Climate Change Conference that December with a treaty, but President Bill Clinton didn’t even bother sending it to the Senate, knowing that it would be rejected, and other attempts to pass climate legislation never reached the floor.
In 2009, “cap-and-trade” legislation passed the House by a narrow margin—more than forty Democrats joined Republicans in siding with the fossil-fuel industry. The bill limped to the Senate, where John Kerry, of Massachusetts, and Barbara Boxer, of California, could not find a Republican co-sponsor. They didn’t even bring the bill up for a vote, knowing that it would lose; private whip counts at the time indicated that they would be lucky to get forty votes.

We were one corrupt vote shy the other day of substantial change.

But there is no endgame to this: it will just keep getting worse and worse. Nowhere will be safe.