Ableton co-founder Robert Henke thinks we should bring back CDs

It has a few factual errors though, involving the manufacturing process as well as the finances for releasing records.

I’d like to see your recents quotes for 1000 records @ €2000.

Yeah prices have gone up a bit, here is a quote for 250 copies from 2020

This was not including the covers and shipping, 4-colour prints etc. Naturally only the records is cheaper. You can get 1000 records for 1500 with plain covers I think.

Prices have gone up a lot since 2020. Nikel charge, per unit energy surcharges, raw material increases, shipping increases.

if you’re correcting someone on the numbers, you’ll need something stronger that ‘i think’ :smiley:

Well it’s been a while since I checked what the cheapest pressing plant was. But mostly for 1000 records it’s around 2000 euros. With 4-colour prints and a “professional” look, it’s much more.

Here’s an example: https://www.deepgrooves.eu/

Yes that was my point :wink:

1 Like

Ahh sorry thought you were using 2020 as a ‘recent’ example :slight_smile:

1 Like

From Deepgrooves, 500 vinyl without any covers, inserts etc. is 1500 euros. 1000 is 2300. You can probably get them cheaper if you look for the cheapest plant, but not much. Add four colour inserts, sleeves and covers and it’s a lot more expensive. So “Pressing vinyl isn’t that expensive, really. 1000-2000 euros for 300-1000 records” is fairly accurate, the right ballpark at least.

Nah I was agreeing with your post, by saying that was a quote from 2 years ago, thinking maybe @ghostbuddy had not checked prices since then :slight_smile:

Well no, but I did take into account the inevitable price hike due to Covid. Maybe not inflation though. Last time I released a vinyl, 300 with 4 colour sleeves was 1300 euros.

1 Like

Yeah the sleeves, printing, delivery etc are not really something you can avoid too.

You can outsource them to dedicated printing house though, in a cheaper country like Estonia for example. Save a few hundred.

as @ghostbuddy said, this isn’t really an issue. new stampers are created from the master lacquer after stamping ~2,000 records, depending on the plant.

i’m interested in reading more on elasticstage but their website is just 2x quotes…?

3 Likes

I don’t want to shit on a service I like the idea of, but I’ll believe someone re-inventing vinyl pressing when I see it. Right now that’s just a start up with a great idea but nothing to show.

I wonder if the end game is to provide vinyl direct to the consumer?

@LyingDalai maybe this discussion from @Jukka initial post:307 about it could be moved to a new thread since others might find a new vinyl process interesting?

3 Likes

Thanks @darenager for the suggestion, i made a new thread.

1 Like

We need to decentralize it again, there is the www.solidproject.org to do it.

I throw used car batteries in the ocean.

Sod CDs, I want HiRes factory made MiniDiscs.

Make them BluRay based, 4 layer, capable of holding DSD or 192Khz, 32bit audio with multichannel options.

Re-release artist back catogues, put new artists albums on them, make the cover art an actual booklet