About prices differences and VAT

You are supposed to report this on your tax return and pay taxes for it then. Depends on the seller btw. Amazon now charges sales tax across state lines.

And those taxes can vary from one county to the next, even within the same state. There can be a “sales tax” plus “food and beverage tax” plus “entertainment tax”, etc. And then a hotel can have some combination of these aforementioned, plus “hospitality tax”. A least for us foreign visitors to EU countries, we’re able to reclaim our VAT at the airport as we’re returning home.

Thats only if the price in euro excludes VAT. And to my knowledge the euro prices are including VAT. If I buy it as normal person I pay 779, nothing more nothing less.

Not all Americans are greedy and selfish but I have a hard time remembering that sometimes. Even harder lately with the state of things here. Regardless, no tax on my Digitone from Sweden! We’ll see how much I want to support our government come tax time :stuck_out_tongue:

California cost of living doesn’t help either with $300 water and sewage, $400 electric, and $3300 a month rent I don’t know how I do it.

1 Like

measly 5.6% where I live :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where do you live to have such low tax?

Milwaukee, WI. And actually, sales is tax is by county here, so it’s even lower (5.1%) in the next county over. Which is where my go-to music store is! That said, property tax here is higher than $%&@

Ahhh, I worked overseas with a Sheriif from Milwaukee, and quite a few others in the US from that region, some real characters. Quite mad infact :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s NL or EU law but over here it’s illegal to advertise consumer prices that don’t include all taxes etc.

In the U.S. Pretty much everything is advertised with no tax.

my guess. in the USA you have all without vat due for customers to comapre prices via differnet states . In the EU it is different from country to country. In Germany you put prices for companies without vat and to customers with vat.

Ya’ll don’t know how good you have it…

Here is a price comparison, I live in Iceland.

Korg Ms-20 mini Juno.co.uk €423
Korg M2-20 mini Iceland €795

I gotta get the hell outta here :smiley:

You live in a very pretty country, stay there :grinning:

Just order from Juno, they usually include free FedEX/DHL within the EU. If they don’t, ask on the live chat. Or maybe try Gear4Music or Bax or Thomann. They’re all pretty big players, will match prices and give you extras if you ask them nicely :sunglasses:

1 Like

@moo

Ah I order everything from abroad mostly from Juno cause their prices are great, Iceland is not in the Eu so we have to pay for postage but we get -VAT that makes up it.

Oh right! :sweat_smile:

No VAT sure makes up for that!

1 Like

It’s weird. Technically I believe if you go to another state to make a big purchase at a cheaper tax rate you are supposed to make it up when you file yearly taxes with the state. A few states (Oregon is one I believe) don’t have sales tax. Other things that are strange is sometime you will have to pay full tax on an item you are getting for sale. This is done especially with cellphones deals through phone companies. A phone will be advertised at a lower price but then when tax is applied they take the original price apply the tax rate and add that to the total. This is even done with “free” phones.

Imo, not adding tax to list prices in the U.S. Is more of a psychological goad to get people to purchase things, open short lines of credit, etc.

Taxes? :thinking:
Oh my, something must be wrong…
I’d check test mode, maybe do an empty reset…
Make sure all lfo depths are at 0, etc… :smile:

1 Like

At least you guys in Europe get health care and real social services in return for your taxes. We pay taxes and get so little from it. I’d pay 20% VAT in heartbeat for a European way of life (health care, low crime, more humane justice system, etc.). I don’t think people overseas really understand how financially crippling the American health care system has become. Most employees with employer-sponsored health insurance have high deductibles and high premiums nowadays. At least in the old days a worker could say, “yeah we don’t have universal health care but we get it free on the job.”

Btw, I totally get people who are against higher taxes. Giving my money to an unmotivated government bureaucrat to decide what best to do with it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. However, there is theory and there is practice. And it seems to me that the European approach works so much better. And the relatives that I have that live in France, Switzerland, and Germany agree whenever I ask them.

3 Likes

Digitax!

1 Like