Adventures in the noise rock-adjacent underground

The Bug does seem to bridge those forms well :slight_smile:

I’d absolutely be interested in working out noise-rock using if not “techno” oriented equipment, a mix of pattern-based and less timbre-based programming.

2 Likes

I’m glad this thread has been reignited. I don’t listen to much noise related music anymore, but there was an era of my life (late teens/early 20s) where noise really spoke to me. One of the few artists that has stuck with me beyond this era was the noise rock band Sightings. I recently started digging into their catalog again and have been reminded of how forward thinking they were. I’ve actually never heard another band strike such an interesting balance between abstract noise and song structure. Does anyone else feel this way?

Great band, especially live. We had half of them play at the Drones Club one time in manic electronic / Hammond style, and it was raucous!

2 Likes

AIDS Wolf.

1 Like

Yeah man, that’s so weird, after discovering your spaceman Gemini I went right off to listen to Heaven End and noticed the new album, and not surprisingly it’s fantastic man. Of all the bands that have reformed, outside of loop it’s only really Swans, My Bloody Valentine (one of the the best gigs I’ve ever seen) and slowdive who again where fuxking fantastic live, who’ve done anything noteworthy

2 Likes

I proper love part chimp man, IV is one of my fave albums of the the last couple years. Namekuji…

2 Likes

That’s some line up. Also, I think everyone remembers their first Swans show. I try to go see them on every U.K. tour at least once, but it’s obviously been a while now… but I’m eagerly awaiting the new album as I chipped in towards its funding. All of the demos are great.

I’ve seen Mogwai so many times I’ve lost count now over the years. I think I saw them for the first time in about 2001 when I was 16, with explosions in the sky and mono…in some tiny shitty bar in Sunderland. Defo cost me less than a fiver. Absolutely outstanding, once in a life time moment, looking back at how big those bands all got.

Sonic Youth last London show before they split up….was my perfect set list, and one of the best weekends of my life. I saw Low (again I’ve lost count how many times I’ve seen them) the night before. They played Death Valley 69 as the final encore :sunglasses:

Sunn 0)) are just ridiculous live. I saw them whilst tripping, and hadn’t been the biggest fan until after that show. I absolutely fucking got it live. Absurdly intense, brilliant live experience.

5 Likes

Here’s my band doing a cover of one of the greatest unsung noise rock bands of the 90s:

1 Like

That sounds both extreme and perfect. That bass in the thorax…

3 Likes

Been awhile since I posted on this thread and I may have already posted this, but still one of my fave noisey bands, particularly live.

Drunk in hell - BORN SICK | DRUNK IN HELL | Burning World Records

They’re just a bunch of local lads, friends of friends etc, so we got to see em all the time. Would always get to see them supporting GNOD or Bong (another local band) or The Cosmic Dead or someone great. Was thinking about how much i miss those days sometimes, and how spoiled I am to have been part of such an active local music scene, in a couple cities I lived in. The grassroots is where it’s at, I think it’s important as a small time musician myself, to support your pals and the underground arts community in general. It’s great when people you know start making huge steps forward and end up in proper bands, and you get to hear their music evolve over the years. It’s a cool feeling, and inspires me to continue doing what I love: listening to, talking about and attempting to make my own music. It doesn’t have to be technically good, or sound good at all, I don’t care if anyone ever hears it, although it certainly makes me happy to play for people and see em have a good night, but I would do it anyway, it’s just a part of my routine and always has been.

Defo for fans of Brainbombs, Flipper and Doom (the actual band)

2 Likes

Wooooooow man. Is basically all I could say for 12 hours. It felt like my molecules where gonna split apart at times.

2 Likes

It was also, surprisingly to me atleast, extremely psychedelic music like truly mind expanding, I can handle my trips but I thought it was getting a little hairy, so I kinda had to go with it and just surrender to the sound…it became absolutely fucking magnificent after I shut my thoughts off and opened my ears. I felt like j was vibrating all night after.

1 Like

I’ve been scrambling for the name of a noisy psyche-ish jam band…thinking early 2010s…pretty sure they were a trio…the best my brain can pull is that I think the track titles were all just Roman numerals…any ideas noise-rock adjacent hive mind?

Trying to think of more descriptors…no vocals, not rooted in trad/blues rock sort of psychedelia…raw, noisy and technical without being overtly proggy…well…argh. Sits in that pocket in between spending my student loan on cds and streaming and so can’t trace back…ugh.

Sorry for the delayed reply…

Could it be Föllakzoid?

Meanwhile, Horton Jupiter (of They Came From The Stars, I Saw Them! fame) has reimagined Spacemen 3 in a disco style:

2 Likes

Main? One of the post-Loop diaspora? They had albums out called Firmament I, II, III and IV iirc

BTW did you catch that post-illness Robert Hampson is out gigging again in May?

2 Likes

sadly not @DoS @MattLxx…thanks for coming back and reviving this excellent thread though.
will try and investigate, it was really good stuff too!

2 Likes

It can be another detective thread!

Looking through my music library from that era, there’s:

and several albums by Papir with just roman numerals for album and track titles too:

1 Like