AI music, musicians, and music jobs

When the time comes I’ll be renting a Lamborghini, GPS-ing my way towards the Grand Canyon CanonBall Run style, and pulling a Thelma &Louise while live streaming on TicTok.

I hear ya.

Also not really related, but also sorta related

When they hear me try to run a scale on a piano, they will know I’m a faulty human.

Sociopaths use their intellect to mimic human emotion to such a degree that they can lure and manipulate non-sociopathic humans to often tragic ends.

If you are saying that the sophisticated AI algorithms of 200 years from now will not be able to do this, I would respectfully disagree.

1 Like

That dancing computer animated baby featured on that TV show around 00 that I never watched had some good moves but became repetitive, if that dancing computer animated baby had AI it could change up its moves and I could watch it longer dancing and be entertained for longer. I hope to see that in my lifetime. It would be very cool and a lot of people would enjoy it.

I don’t think 200 years equals rapid advance in this context, when music as we know it today, pop, hip hop, rock, metal etc have barely existed for 70 years. I thought that by rapid you were talking about, well, rapid. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: funny

I’ve got a lot of thoughts on this, being as I’ve contemplated this eventuality for many years.

I think the flaw in logic here is assuming that the end all be all of music is as some sort of commodity to service social media and capitalism at large.

So what if youtube channels and video game makers conjure up instantly “perfect” tracks at the touch of a button?

Will AI replace the people at local jams I go to? Will it fabricate the friends I make playing out live gigs around the city? Will it write lyrics personal to me and me alone? Will it give me the experience of sharing my music with others and expressing myself? Will it give me the fun I get with my buddies making stupid sounds on our instruments?

No. The answer to all of those questions is no. Even if the output is perfect. Randomly generating songs via AI won’t replace the fundamental existence of being human.

It will just erase shitty fiverr jobs and people selling “rap beats”? I guess?

Also. I like to picture a world where the AIs are churning out perfect symphonies and pop songs, meanwhile “conventional music” falls out of vogue and artists start trying to make horrible and esoteric garbage audio in ways that either confuse the AIs or circumvent their programming. And that becomes the new hot thing.

1 Like

Soundful, the AI–platform they are talking about in this interview…

So you can choose „only“ from a genre, define the tempo and key and that‘s all you can do to tweak it?

“Remix No Woman No cry in the style of Kraftwerk”

Hehe…
I guess we‘re not there yet with the Ai–music tools nowadays?
Or is there something already?

Here is also an alternative to soundful.

Beatoven … what a silly name :wink:

anyone’s that ever dealt with a client knows it needs about twenty sliders with things like “emotional” “aspirational” and " classic" written on them, all of which do nothing but enable you to make it look like the completely incoherent two cents they felt duty bound to chip into the meeting is being taken into account.

The bottom line is AI makes creating music accessable to individuals who cannot create music; who don’t have rhythm, can play a “instrument” and don’t sing, etc. That’s great, no problem, enjoy, play away! But it’s doesn’t make someone a musician necessarily; They are more of a producer, and that’s great and definitely a part of the creative process too.

But when producers start making the music then the musicians end up disenfranchised from the scene. If you’ve been a gig playing musician for the past 30 years you will know what I’m talking about. That’s not an insult to those who aren’t, just that real experience means something too: perspective…

A drummer doesn’t get pissed when someone says " you’re not the bass player". But if you try to tell someone who produces music on a electronic platform, who literally can’t clap to a beat, that they’re not a musician…oh boy to egos flare.

I think producers are talented and have musical sensibilities, and if you talk to real producers they will tell you that they’re not musicians (unless they play actual ilnstruments). A producer it a respectable title.

This is a little out of the lines, but I’m trying to point out there is a difference in perspective here- people who play instruments and people who write and produce. Both are legit. But one does not equal the other.

AI replaces the creativity of musicians. And it enables producers to be stand alone.

Stop peaking through my window.

I like thinking about the way you account for accessibility for those who use these tools for assistance.

For a hobbyist like me, just making music to relax and be creative after work, I don’t mind if AI helps me find a pleasing chord combo, or quantise tightens up a sloppy beat I tried to play on the pads.

After all, I can’t successfully clap to a beat without a few takes!

I totally respect the accessibility electronic music affords to hobbyists, as I have throughout my life shared music with people everywhere I have been. I also understand and have been an advocate for the benefits of music in our lives as a form of creativity and expression. Music is culture and it is in my heart since I was a wee little kid.

I ask you as well, respect people who were born with and spent their lives dedicated to learning an instrument, Practicing on a daily basis; immersing in the challenge of cultivating the sound and connection of their physical form to the ethereal movements of music. Respect is all- I respect you as you are, but I do not share your view- I’m not a hobbyist, I’m a life-long musician. I mean no offense.

I only advocate for recognizing artificial intelligence used to create music, supplants the creativity and ability of a musician- musicians use their own abilities to create sound, textures, and beats - that’s what it means to be a ‘musician’. A musician is no better than a hobbyist or anyone else. But if the question is about “AI, musicians, and music jobs” people who are musicians can speak with a better understanding of how AI has and will continue to impact music.

AI is a tool used to “produce” music. Producers work with musicans or use music making tools to produce music, and that’s very cool. Both musicians and producers are cool but they are fundamentally different disciplines- not the same thing. Many producers don’t play instruments and they don’t call themselves musicians- being a producer is in fact pretty cool.

A hobbyist is a great thing too! But a hobbyist shouldn’t ignore what it means to be a dedicated and disciplined practitioner; musician. Or worse, insult that lifestyle by equating it to music created by Artificial Intelligence. Music in it’s essence is not a product of intelligence or knowledge, it is a feeling connected to sound set to rhythm. It requires practiced discipline to play an instrument in time and tune without thinking about it, especially in an ensemble. It’s a special thing; it’s a beautiful thing. And producing music is also a beautiful thing. As a life long musician I’m learning how to be a producer.

There is no better or worse here- I’m not comparing anything. Just respect for the many different flavors of human proclivities.

Make your music and however and it’s great. I make mine too, but we may have different goals and that’s okay. I would never take anything from you. But when we equate artificial intelligence to being a musician, you take a big part of life from me.

When have I done that? Sounds dramatic. Enjoy your music!!

1 Like

That’s music; dramatic. And the question of the heavy influence AI weights on music; art is of fundamental importance to our human culture. My comment is on the subject, and to a lesser degree your indifference to music’s cultural significance. I mean to say your focus is different than mine and I respect it, between them is understanding if we seek to do so. To me that is part of being a misician- learning the difference in things.

I do take it seriously as I have written music is my life. My words may not be superficial, maybe require some consideration, or better- conversation. Or maybe they’re the ramblings of a fool. Either way, I only ever claim to speak better through a bass guitar or drum than any written language.

If you’re discussing your love of music, you are not a fool. I think you’re cool!

1 Like