AKAI Force

So is this just an upgrade of the old Akai apc40 Ableton controller?

Yea, with all the menu buttons, encoders, fader, and pad grid, I doubt Iā€™d interact with the touch screen on this as much as I would an MPC Live. The screen could be more display than tactile interface.

The addition of the 4 cursor buttons is also huge. That could make the touch side of the screen entirely optional.

Not at all. Read up in the thread.

I read the thread, I see a lot of speculation, nothing really clear.

Data from the manual, not speculation, and previously mentioned in thread:

MPC Software, no reference to Ableton aside from physical link port = Not an APC40 upgrade.

1 Like

Thereā€™s actually quite a bit of speculation in this thread especially regarding what software itā€™s going to work with and standalone functionality. I will check out the manual more deeplyā€¦

Just a thought, Akai made the apc line originally for Ableton. Calling it an apc, doesnā€™t that automatically link it to Ableton in some manner?

2 Likes

I think APC implies form/functionality moreso than original purpose of the original

This could be the Ableton Live in a boxā€¦ who knows?

The Ableton Push ant this is almost the same dimensions

APC Live : 350mm width x 389mm depth
Ableton Push : 378mm width x 304mm depth

fair enough! :slight_smile:

When I look at page 9 in the manual, I see MPC Live style, Akai software on the screen.

Anything is possible at this point, but if I had to wager, Iā€™d say more AKAI, who has been successfully developing their own DAW, and less Ableton.

5 Likes

Iā€™d expect this to be an MPC Live with 64 pads, this would also make sense of the comment from Akai Dan on Gearslutz, where he said they are reviewing the way clips work on the MPC so they keep playing once you switch program.

1 Like

The manual states that the screen is a multi touch screen.

I stand corrected, edited.

Not interested in a standalone push.
Just want a push in a smaller footprint, which this definitely doesnā€™t look like

3 Likes

True! But thereā€™s definitely a market for such a thing, despite how unwieldy or impractical the final project may be. Theyā€™ll buy the mk1 and then buy the mk2 when they finally fix the design that makes it impractical

1 Like

I fully expect this to be an mpc live with usb controller glued on

I canā€™t see also doing much in terms of unique software , itā€™ll be the same as a mpc , they donā€™t seem to have a big team of coders considering how slow theyā€™ve been with updates.

As the live is quite expensive Iā€™d expect it to be mid between the live and the bigger pro box.

2 Likes

Design through the MPC1K/2500 era was pretty good. I think they actually hit it out of the park with the black MPC1K, but since then itā€™s been horrrible as you said. With so many good designers out there these days, Iā€™m surprised big companies still make ugly devices.

1 Like

I have to agree with you, the mpc1k is a great looking machine.

1 Like

It has Midi jack is that a thing?

yepp, because 48V phantom power for two inputs + CV. Same reason why the MPC X doesnā€™t have a battery.

Iā€™m thinking this will be a standalone equivalent of maschIne jam for MPC. Will double as an ableton controller no doubt. Might even come with a feature that will let you export ableton sets into MPC clip programs for gigging standalone.

That ethernet link, Iā€™m guessing, is for syncing up denon CDJS to the system, kinda like what Pioneer did with the toraiz.

A shame this will most likely be priced around the 1k ā‚¬ range. This woulda been a great match for me personally as I use both Ableton and MPCs, and do not have a push yet.