AKAI Force

Barry writes the songs

1 Like

Anyone know how to disable autoselect for the tracks. When I launch a clip it selects that track. Iā€™d like to disable that feature. Looked all through the settings. Nothing.

Thanks!

Shift + Launch I think

That was me, possibly - you can do this in the Macros setup. The fader has its own Macro page where you can assign parameters & values to the left and right sides. One of the parameter selections is MIDI CC, so just assign the CC value and select the values to send for either side f the fader. You can layer multiple CCs, or any other parameter on the Force - so, for example, you can have the fader morphing several MIDI CCs on an external synth, bring the synth audio into the Force, apply a delay effect to it, and assign the delay send/feedback to the fader too.

I still prefer the OTā€™s fader setup - it has a nicer feel, and being able to swap A/B scenes is such a great implementation. But the Force is no slouch here, and the fader can sit alongside all the other macro tools.

Yeah; just got it; still have to figure out how it works; but the OT fader feels WAY nicer. Like buttery smooth compared to the force stiff thing.

Iā€™m hoping the Force one will improve over time, but it does feel like the OT simply uses a better component. Still, itā€™s nice to have, especially with the MPC range having lost its sliders.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think both crossfaders are too light (OT and Force) and they suck compared to the one on my Xone 96. :upside_down_face:
(Less than 24 hours with the Force mind youā€¦)

But, on that note, if we see the USB audio integration like on the MPC update, I think the Force and Xone 96 will make for a great combo! Fingers crossed, in the meantime Iā€™ll be learning the ways of the Force. :grimacing:

It baffles me how ā€œquickā€ I picked up the OT and how new the AKAI workflow feels. I started with a Digitakt and then Digitone / octa and the Elektron workflow clicks with me.
Having to go to Menu>track edit to edit the synth ie. Is already something I have to get used to.

The demo projects are a pretty cool showcase though: itā€™s like a very performative Ableton in a box in that sense! Will need some time.

Meanwhile my Octatrack broke! It froze and wonā€™t move. Tried everything and sending it back tomorrow for repair. Probably the CF card problem Iā€™ve read about. Forces me to learn the force :smiley:

Shift + Clip

2 Likes

As another new Force user here, can anyone recommend any good resources for quick start/referencing?

Anything out there better than the manual?

(I havenā€™t DLā€™d it yet, preferring to find my own way with MPC workflow experience as a referenceā€¦)

To learn the Force, probably just YouTube honestly. The homie @Automageddon is super helpful as well. Once you learn the button combos, the device becomes pretty next level, IMO.

Hereā€™s a quick jam that may or may not become a track

3 Likes

if they add warp marker manipulation via the knobs etcā€¦ I will be ā€˜forcedā€™ to buy one no matter what freakin size it is!!

The videos from TomNiceThings.

When Iā€™ll have the time Iā€™ll start a Force For Dummies series, with quick, to the point videos, but now life is getting in the wayā€¦

3 Likes

Learning the basics and the button combos made a huge difference for me. Shift + clip for the win!

1 Like

Anyone got a good place for XPM files? Iā€™ve seen a programme called kitmaker but not down to spend the 30 at this moment.

Digitakt I make kits lightning fast but for the force itā€™s cool to have them premade.

The shortcuts arenā€™t so bad, but Iā€™m still irritated that the Force has so many buttons and no dedicated Program Edit. Returning to spend time with the MPC One after the recent update brought all these tragic emotions flooding back.

I need the corresponding Force update now, though. The random tab alone has me spoiled.

A couple of days in now and things are starting to mentally click into place.

So far, so good, Iā€™m really impressed with it.
I didnā€™t anticipate it sounding so good, but it sounds fantasticā€¦ and Motherducker too :ok_hand:.

Iā€™ve had some time today throwing it in the mix with my regular synths too.

I donā€™t want to speak to soon, but I feel like everything else Iā€™ve used so far has slowly drawn me to the Force (MPC, Elektrons, MC-707, Arturia Keystep Pro)ā€¦ Iā€™m probably going to drop a few newb questions on you here in the next few weeks, so;

• is there a way to layer samples on top of the drum synth sounds?

• is it possible to catch loops from external gear on the fly into clips and switch to them?
    (For those who know the OT, can the Force do Thru machine to Pickup machine style moves?)

2 Likes

The secret to layering is in the mixer. Double-tap a track header, and then send the midi from a track to another track.
Experiment with in, merge, or auto to find what you like best.

Itā€™s possible to make very large layers like this.

Just to see if it was possible, Iā€™ve layered keygroup, midi, plugin / drumsynth, and drum program. Completely possible. Use transpose to get individual tracks to sound where you want.

Yes, itā€™ll do the OT style moves if you make it the sync master. If youā€™re not willing to do that, best to stick with OT.

SCG

2 Likes

Sync master? As in, just having it as the midi brain?

Not sure what you mean ā€œmidi brainā€ā€¦
What I mean by sync master is referring to several MIDI devices; 1 of which sends out a MIDI Clock or MTC providing a timing reference for the others to follow and synchronize their tempo operations to.
This 1 is the ā€œsync masterā€.

Thatā€™s what I mean. Clear?

You know how OT will give you ā€œDub Abortedā€ when you try to overdub a pickup machine when OT is NOT the ā€œsync masterā€?
( if you didnā€™t know this, now you do )
Force does this whenever you try to record audio and it is NOT the ā€œsync masterā€.

SCG

2 Likes