Akai MPC Keys 61

Most people do not care about the Force.

It has sold far less than any One and Live 2.

Force Keys would not get most eyes on it.

I have an arranger keyboard - Yamaha PSR-SX600.

I can see why some would think it has something in common with an Akai Force. OTOH, these two products generally attract very different types of customers.

Received mine today. Spent an hour checking out the new synths. I love it….just love having the MPC in a keyboard format. I wouldn’t mind a live 2 for portability…but I’m keeping this keys…great for how I like to work.

3 Likes

Favorite Synths so far?

Never used MPC so no idea, but I think for the sake of $100-200 the extra ram, extra instruments and not having to fudge about with mapping and remapping knobs and sliders all the time (dunno maybe it’s set and forget?) compared to the qlinks, seems over life of ownership a fair trade for less hassle.

Yep, I’m not sure if the Force line will get much love/additions from Akai in the future. The current MPCs are far more popular, even with people who don’t about the MPC legacy.
So my guess is that Akai may bring the separate Force features to the MPC OS with the mysterious 3.0 update (and a new flagship device).

Akai doesn’t even care about legacy. :rofl:

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone is asking or expecting a Force keys. My question is about the arranger feature. Do you think it would be a good feature for the MPC Keys?

Are you familiar with that feature?

1 Like

I’ve own and used several arrangers through the years, and the new MPC Keys has many similarities and differences. With the addition of an actual arranger feature someone like me who is an arranger user would welcome using the new MPC Keys much the same or more as any of the arrangers.

It will continue to get firmware updates, just like the MPC line with the new synths etc.

It would 100% make a big positive difference to have Force’s arranger feature on the MPC, especially the Key 61 with that format.

I’m not sure how they’d go about it given the difference in the core sequencing structures.

I think it would work in much the same way, providing a lane for each track, record in a performance or parts, copy/paste/arrange/edit in each lane from the arranger screen for a final song structure.

That’s how it came to the Force, as a totally separate addition to the normal workflow.

I don’t require it as I already have it in my Force. If I added this MOC workstation it would feed into the force and be more of a midi keyboard/sound module and extra tracks.

Seems a natural thing for them to add eventually. Disk streaming as well.

With the same stale software and underpowered processor :wink:

The influencers are all over this. Its like clockwork.

1 Like

IMHO it’s a computer inside of a clumpy keyboard with some drumpads. It’s has more and more less in common with an original MPC back in the days. Not for me.

3 Likes

I agree. The extra fluff gets in the way.

The more options the better for me. It will be great to see what available features they intentionally held back in its release, so they can introduce them later to keep it relative and talked about.

I think it’s a definite evolutionary move away from the pads, which is probably an unavoidable result of the widening scope of the current MPCs, where the pad layout arguably hampers the potential of the onboard synths. Sampling becomes more of a bonus feature, 16 levels becomes a quaint reminder of the olden times, and so on. It’s fine to note that things can sometimes be lost as other things are gained.

Looking at Fabric, I do wonder if Akai will in time offer an ‘expanded’ sampling plugin. Maybe that’s how we’ll get streaming playback and extended modulation - similar to how Live comes with Simpler, Sampler costs extra. If this first wave of purchases goes well, why wouldn’t they?

3 Likes

Same as everything.

Most technology has computers now.

Staying away based on that is just funny.

3 Likes

So same as they were for Syntackt, Circuits, Korg, Polyend Play or any new release.

Business as usual.

1 Like