Akai MPC Keys 61

This would be a nice midi keyboard for My Akai Force.

2 Likes

Having used a live a one and an X I can say that the X is dramatically different in that it has 16 available q links with screens that adapt to a variety of purposes. Itā€™s a whole different experience to be able to use all functions immediately. On the other hand the keys doesnā€™t have these. Itā€™s confirmed to be running regular mpc is 2.11. The new update has shown that itā€™s focused towards adapting current OS to the keys, itā€™s highly unlikely that akai will diverge it to its own OS theyā€™d have to maintain considering itā€™s called MPC, itā€™s running MPC, and all current MPCs have the same OS. In other words, it is literally the same as using an MPC with a midi keyboard of your choice.

Itā€™s not a bad thing to throw it all together. Some people who play keys would like a keyboard attached to their MPC. But nonetheless it will be exactly the same as an MPC and a midi keyboard, but less ergonomic. I do mean this politely but I think to expect anything except that is a little naive and a quick road to disappointment. Akais game is clearly make as much money from as few parts as possible hence why all the boxes and software are the same. Iā€™m surprised the force software is actually different but they did mention some time back that the intention was to merge. Whether that stands remains to be seen.

@Starscream honestly Iā€™d bet a maschine keys is coming

6 Likes

You can?!

Still tho, its easier to just be one unit

1 Like

Itā€™s cheaper, quicker and more portable to get the MIDI keyboard of your choice instead of waiting for AKAI to release a product they never announced.

I think itā€™ll bring a lot, personally. Thereā€™s a great deal of potential in some of the MPCā€™s synths that you just canā€™t get at with the pads - not least range - and I expect a lot of users have never hooked a keyboard up. I have, but I donā€™t use it very often because if Iā€™m using an MPC I want to use the pads, restrictions and all. So the Keys isnā€™t for me - itā€™s too much. I think it goes past the point where Iā€™d simply start using a DAW instead, with discrete components rather than a single massive device. The Force is just on the other side of that line for me, and I think the X would be the same. I feel like I still have a few eggs outside the basket there. But for someone else, the Keys could be a dream come true, which is great. Go for it! I hope it pays off for Akai and leads to more MPC developments. Specifically, one with an 8-channel interface bolted on, if anyoneā€™s listening,

2 Likes

61 is the minimum for me and workable, I consider more kind of a bonus. 49 is frustrating

Iā€™m still waiting for NI to release a full key workstation. Not sure whatā€™s talking them so long.

I was thinking the same thing. Iā€™m personally not a fan of the newer-Akai workflow, but their whole ā€œall-in-one-boxā€ direction is right up the street of people who bought those circa-2000 keyboard workstations (Fantom et al) and still want all those songwriting features in one unit.

2 Likes

You just have to become an Octave switch ninja.

37 is the limit for me, I can work with thatā€¦ I prefer 49 as the all-rounder, and 61 is as much as I ever really need. I do have all bases covered tooā€¦ good olā€™ GAS.

1 Like

Yeah @DonovanDwyer and @NickD totally with you.

Iā€™m a keyboard player. The Digitone Keys and Analog Keys are to my superior in workflow and convenience compared to the boxed versions with a midi keyboard attached. I donā€™t think it compares.

And Akai are pretty clever when it comes to hardware workflow, so Iā€™m going to give this a spin in the store when it arrives.

1 Like

To be honest neither my idea nor the new product is all that enticing- that was kinda my point.

I do two handed playing at both ends of a 61 key board more often than you might think.

Also 61 keys makes splits way more practical.

I downgraded from DNK to DN and didnā€™t miss the little keyboard. If the DNK had more voices, more keys, and a more traditional layout I might have made that my workhorse but instead I have a NL2X and a MPK261.

Although this was something I always wanted I wonā€™t bite, but I can def see the attraction for it. All in one box with keys, mic preamps and 8 audio tracks. Hypothetically, this and monitors is all you need.

2 Likes

I guess in my case, Iā€™ll always come back to the fact that no synth sounds like the Prophet 12, so Iā€™ll return to that and realise Iā€™ll always keep a batch of gear around that do their special thing like nothing else, then explore all in one solutions thinking ā€œMaybe the streamlined workflow outdoes the need for that soundā€, realising nope, it doesnā€™t, and go back to my assembling again, until next All In One appears ā€¦

And round and round we - or at least me - go :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the ultimate problem with the notion of an MPC as an all-in-one - the onboard synths and FX are pretty good until you have something dedicated to compare them to. Which is fine, because theyā€™re fun, they do a hell of a lot and they can definitely fill a gap at times, but it means Iā€™m going to be happier with a One or Force and room for a couple of external devices, rather then a single monolith like the Keys. If I had more cash and more room Iā€™d give it a whack, but I must stress to any anonymous benefactors thinking of stepping in that I do need both.

3 Likes

Yeah and in my case, then I already got a flow thatā€™s working for me, with the blackbox.

If thereā€™s no fundamental gain for me to go all in one, my current rig stands.

2 Likes

I think it is all on one only add far as structure and sequencing sometimesā€¦ I still sequence on my digitone keys sometimes and use other synthā€™s, like my prophet 6ā€¦ my mpc doesnā€™t replace them, but sometimes I donā€™t need themā€¦ At the end of the day, my mpc is my main brainā€¦ the fact it had synthā€™s in it even betterā€¦

You missed people making excuses for a 3rd version of the same thing, but underpowered and overpriced. Whereas you could sort of see the use of the first 2 versions.

It was called Syntactless or something. :yum:

Now that was excitement!

1 Like

who is this guy at akai who keeps putting the pads on the left side of sh*t, dammit I donā€™t like to curse but wtf man I wish dude would bounce rock skate, agitate the gravel, leave the premises man!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes