Akai MPC Keys 61

:slightly_smiling_face: so not into NI so that one’s even easier.

How so? And what is you like about the MPC Keys the most?

I wonder if there will be a full weighted 76/88 version coming. For a really nice piano experience it’s kinda a must imo.

1 Like

76? Nah.

88? Maybe in a couple of years.

Does the screen flip up? Looking down at that screen all the time is not a good idea

Nope, but everything is already angled though so might not be an issue.

We are good! 3 devices

3 Likes

Nice!

That makes getting a MPC Key very attractive.

1 Like

Seen a lot of arguments AGAINST MPC Key and some are fair.

However let us not forget that this is a platform in constant evolution, and unlike other brands like Roland or Korg, who barely update their products, will get a constant stream of updates for the next 5 years and maybe more, just like the MPC X and the MPC live. So it’s an investment that gets better with time.

To me this is why I invested in that ecosystem, I know this is gear I’m going to keep for a long time and the thrill of waiting for the next update and its possibilities has no equivalent.

Support for class compliant external soundcards AND midi interfaces is also a major plus compared to the competition, it can really put the MPC Key at the center of a DAWLESS setup.

6 Likes

It does seem like Akai took the time to update the workflow enough to make this experience for the daw-less, who also don’t like current keyboard workstations but still want what both those worlds offer. Every review I’ve read (not watched, YouTube isn’t the most nuanced placed for actual reviews) says the same thing. I’m exactly that target audience.

Fortunately, the price totally prevents me from even getting one on trial. I need to try it first in the store, a couple of times. Then, if it happens, I need to sell a bunch of things to afford it.

So in the unlikely event I’d go for this (unlikely cause I haven’t historically clicked with the MPC workflow), it’s still months away.

After watching the promo videos I feel I’m not man child and gangsta enough to deserve one.

2 Likes

I’ll take all current reviews with 3 buckets of salt till all the hype has settle down though.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you dislike the GUI on the MPC? that’s mostly still unchanged. (I can’t get used to it either)

Maybe there’s a way to custom modify that, does anyone know?

Are there any video out already with a whole studio connected to the MPC keys?
I would love to see how that works.

they’ve created a powerful and standard software platform for their entire range of hardware samplers, makes perfect commercial sense. although paying a premium for a KB option and NOT getting some of those plugins bundled will sting, a little bit greedy of Akai Pro to do that IMHO. Also, they should offer existing owners some discount codes too

37 mini keys on the Live 2 would have been a great portable all in one device. (Move the speaker to the back.) But then, I don’t like MPC because it can’t make it’s mind up between buttons workflow and screen workflow.

I have that feeling with mini keys. I’m like “you wanna be a key or not?” :stuck_out_tongue:

The MPC keys is provided with more buttons etc. which is a big plus but I guess a few more wouldn’t hurt as you can’t really built muscle memory with a touchscreen.

1 Like

not interested in this product but I must say I did enjoy watching Andy Mac and Nick’s video on Sonic state. Andy Mac’s skill level is too damn good haha

1 Like

No, that was all right. The flow, not so much. If the Keys did something to create another level of coherence, I’m interested to explore it again.

Local store’s already got one, so I’ll give it a spin and find out.

1 Like

The MPC should offer a simple loop mode where you can record/ play / stop clips in slots on 4x4 grid like blackbox, force (8x8), push, launchpad etc. It’s the perfect spontaneous creative workflow, don’t understand why sp404 doesn’t do it either.

Apologies for sharing my adjacent bugbear.

So the new plugins can be had on the earlier MPC Live/One devices. What then would be the reason for the RAM upgrade?