Alternative to Yamaha HS7

I just setup all my gear (for the first time) …connected the HS7 and guess what - they are hissing …like really annoying. They seem to have a pretty bad shielding (I think I have an 5G antenna pointing directly to my room).

Now I am looking for an alternative since I won‘t try to improve the shielding for the amp or whatever is causing this (read that this is the only way to solve this).

So any suggestions for monitors with better shielding? They will be my only speakers in my room so - it would be nice if I could use them to listen to music from my phone as well. By the way …I just wondered how I can add my sub to the equation - I don‘t have a mixer yet - are there monitors with outs for a sub?

Sure its not the cable with bad shielding connected to them that causes hissing? Or a ground loop problem.

1 Like

No cable connected but power cord. Tried different wall sockets … nothing changed.

Have you exhausted the rather simple steps for troubleshooting the noise?

New monitors might not fix the problem. Have you tried a ferrite? What happens when you move the Yamahas to another room?

2 Likes

I saw a lot of people having the same problem and the only fix for them was to buy other speakers with better shielding. This is no ground loop or anything… this is some HF interference + bad shielding inside the monitors. Other manufacturers have better constructions …probably.

How can a ferrit help if no audio cable is plugged in? Will try another room in a sec…

edit: yup. the HF noise is gone in another room.

Common problem for modern speakers. Just try different pair, it may help.
As for the sub, Yamaha HS8 has dedicated sub HS8S. If you want to work with bass, maybe you should upgrade to this.

1 Like

HS8 are too big for my taste …hmm no other solution for adding a sub?

Normally you connect your mixer/gear to the sub and the sub to the speaker not the way around :slight_smile: So there aren’t speakers with output to a sub.

1 Like

Perfect, so now you know the monitors aren’t faulty. Not to say that shielding can’t still be an issue though. When you’re in your studio area, do you have them connected to a power conditioner? The ferrite can have an effect without audio cables connected. I had a neighbor that was a high power radio enthusiast and we had to add a ferrite to the power cord on my son’s speakers to cut down on the interference. A cheap fix, for sure.

2 Likes

Yamaha MSP series is a step up in quality

RF interference or bleed is nothing to do with the speakers more the amp design or the circuits acting like an antenna. likely to happen to any powered speaker. Switch your phone off in the studio! Shielding is related to the cables connecting to your speakers.

1 Like

You can use any sub with any speakers (provided the sockets are the same obviously). The soundcard connects to the sub, which does its filtering and then sends the audio back out to the satellites. I use my HS7 with an Adam Sub 7 and it works great (no hiss, luckily!)

1 Like

My phone is not the problem. As I alreqsy said it‘s probably the cell tower which is sending directly in my direction. Or I got other neighbours with HF hobbys… who knows. I‘ll try the ferritring solution - this seems to be the most promissing solution next to new speakers.

…okay, I guess I‘ll buy the Adam Sub a too. My cheap Fostex might do the job but I have a really bad feeling going to unbalaned RCA and then adapt that back to balanced XLR.

Yeah if you’re having noise issues probably best to go balanced, but I’d try the fostex anyway before buying new stuff, assuming you can fix the speaker noise.

1 Like

The HS8S is designed to be paired with any of the HS speakers, I have one and it says in the manual…

I actually run it with some Mackie HR824mk2’s and it sounds great…
The only thing I don’t like about it is the crossover only goes down to 80hz which is where it splits the signal from the sub range to the speaker range. It’s nice to be able to go down to like 60 or 50hz, but it sounds quite good at 80 really, and you can get around that using other gear but I haven’t needed to…

It’s good for where you want to hear that bass but you aren’t going to push it to extremes…
It’s pretty deep and tight sounding, not too boomy or muddy. Defiantly fulfills my desire for bass, and I can hear my synths go much lower than without it…

So… my ferrites finally came. I put like 5 of them around the power cord. It didn’t change it unfortunately. Anything else I can try? Tinfoil inside the speaker? :smiley:

Power conditioner might help…

Also using balanced cables, and move around the cables…
Audio cables get less interference if crossing power cables at 180 degrees, like an X…

The OT has unbalanced inputs and if I leave cable spaghetti it might pick up some low level noise, I simply move the cables around and it goes away…

Sometimes it’s a grounding issues where a device finds a shorter path to ground itself and uses that instead of its proper route, it travels down one of its connections. Ground loops are a common issue with complex setups and are sometimes tricky to track down too, often removing usb midi connections especially to a computer can help and using dins instead. Try unplugging the computer too if it’s a laptop, use a three prong power adapter with a ground if it’s an option.

Also helps to connect everything to the same power outlet, hopefully using a power conditioner. Try not to have other things plugged into the same power circuit of the house, especially high amp things like space heaters. Dimmable light controls on the same circuit can also cause hum…

Good luck! It can be tricky to isolate this stuff. It might help to unplug everything from the circuit and start with just the speakers connected to one device, if there’s no hum keep connecting more stuff until you figure out what’s causing it. You might just have dodgy power, you can try the speakers at a friends or something or even another circuit in the house…

If you do find what it is and can’t fix it, there’s ground lifting transformers you can get that will remove the hum, but it’s not ideal… There’s probably more stuff too, it’s tricky… Again, good luck!

1 Like

It’s not a ground loop - humming. High frequency stuff - wheezing. Like I already wrote it’s either the WiFi router of my neighbours which are directly behind the wall or the cell tower. Who knows. Tinfoil made it a little bit better - now it’s still noticeable but a lot quieter.

Concerning power conditioners …they’re really expensive. Plus I suspect the interference is added after the power supply unit or even inside and not directly related to my - indeed - crappy house circuit (in fact only one or two circuits - so I am really surprised that there are not any ground loops and whatnot).

Power conditioner aren’t incredibly expensive. Furman make the standard 8x2 rack mounted for 79$.

Even if you are pretty sure it’s not power issue the furman is an indispensable item

1 Like