Analog Poly Synths w/ Analog Controls (no presets)

Yeah, the Jupiter is an interesting synth with a certain rawness. That said it can do more polished sounds and it’s deffo ‘still relevant’. I love mine dearly

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a very interesting analog design.

1 Like

Ah yes! The Abyss. Essentially perfectly encapsulates what I’m talking about. Hopefully Dreadbox decides to make something like this again. I didn’t jive with their Nymphes.

1 Like

The Trilogy was one of my first synths, I found it in a second hand shop with various faults. Anyway I got it going and then picked up a second one (masochist I know) in a better cosmetic condition

I think it would be worthwhile to try and figure out how to make a polyphonic modular set up. Does anyone have any resources (blogs, websites, books, videos, etc.) that could help me study making something like this? Paraphonic is acceptable, not sure if getting multiple filters and VCAs to work together is easy or even economically sane. I’d just like to be able to sequence or play chords.

Every time I begin studying modular synthesis, the actual generation of voices and sequences seems to be designed with monophonic music in mind. Not many modular teaching sources that I’ve found mention polyphony. It’s been a real hurdle.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. Am I wrong for trying to do this? Is poly/paraphonic modular a pipe dream?

Especially the poly part will make things more complicated (expensive, large) when going modular

If paraphonic is acceptable enough to you, a Moog Matriarch might be way more easy / small / great sounding option.

In modular, some brands including Doepfer have started offering some more polyphonic ranges/modules than before. You could search some modwiggler threads, I’m sure they are there. But to start with some examples:

Or any quad/dual stuff like:

PS here’s someone’s modulargrid rack/concept:

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks so much.

1 Like

I’ve been having lots of paraphonic fun with my Blue Marvin lately. I use a Minibrute 2S which has 3 separate CV channels for pitch and a gate channel. However I’m using a DN to gate the BM over Midi.

2 Likes

The 2S is really cool. It definitely has my eye.

2 Likes

It’s a lot of fun and extremely versatile. The only bad thing I could really say about it is it it made me want to build a modular system. In the end I discovered that I need presets/ patch memory but if I could commit to not having it the 2s would be on my list of things to buy again.

1 Like

Yeah it’s cool to use to sequence other gear. No external sync for the LFO or electronic switch on the BM so I can use the 2 LFO’s (BPM synced and key synced) of the 2S to modulate stuff on the BM as well as being able to use the 2S envelopes for other stuff too. It’s a great tool for someone like myself who’s only really got semi modular stuff

It’s worth saying I like it’s own internal synth section too. The Steiner filter isn’t to everyone’s taste but the oscillator section it pretty cool with wave folding etc

OP: I just came across this and thought it might be useful for thinking about a poly modular system: https://a100.ideenhase.de/2023/01/07/a-105-4-quad-poly-ssi-vcf/?lang=en

This is focused on the Doepfer modules but includes some general discussion and shows set-up examples (and some sound examples). I think this is the direction I’m headed with my system.

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks!