Anime recommendations / discussion

paranoia agent is a trip.

Toonami also was the first place to air Gundam wing, although it was not a good Gundam series by any means.

1 Like

Oh cool, I liked S1 of My Dress Up Darling.

Given the premise, yes there’s fanservice and lots of it because Marin, the cosplayer, has exhibitionist tendencies. However, the development of her relationship with the boy who likes to play with dolls feels natural and unforced, unlike other anime where a hot girl falls in love with the dude for no particular reason.

Lovely Complex is fun as well. I get a kick out of their accents - Osaka region I think.

Yeah I’m not bothered by fan service unless it’s gratuitous and gross like just for the sake of being vulgar. Queen’s blade is too much for me, for example.

Yeah they have an Osaka ben, very funny relatable characters.

This season Skip to Loafer is very cute, the protagonist is also from some backwater town and has a cute regional dialect.

I thought fruit’s basket was ok but it was dragging by the time they got to the fever pitch, I didn’t watch the movie. I was a bit tired of the premise by then but people were super hyped to get a continuation (even though for me it didn’t live up to the original in the voice casting).

Re-Creator is good

Also enjoying watching Armed Girls of Machiavellism

There’s an anime fan here who is sensitive to fan service, although he hasn’t posted on this thread yet. He gave me some grief for not including a content warning in one of my past anime posts. Oh yeah now I have to mention that there’s some bouncing boob action in Devil is a Part Timer.

My Dress Up Darling’s doesn’t bug me because Marin doesn’t care what she exposes.

re-creators is pretty good. not familiar with the second title, I’ll watch the promo bit.

1 Like

There’s nothing obscene in my dress up darling but situations are what you might call mature like she sits on him and he has to move her because he has a “human male physiological reaction”. Some people are sensitive, it’s nothing against them. I’m not unaware that some people feel that way, but for me I don’t really care personally. I’m not desensitized by any means though like some things like implied rape or sexual assault bother me even if it’s not something they graphically depict. It’s the concept that bothers me.

To me there’s nothing that really constitutes fan service in devil is a part timer. I really like Machikado mazoku and it’s super wholesome but her outfit could be considered fan service if you’re really sensitive, but to me I don’t see any evidence that they’re trying to make it fan servicey at all.

Also like Yuru Camp intentionally doesn’t have any fan service, I’ve read something where the producers say they avoided it. Yet like, every other episode they go to onsen and show their bare shoulders, some people think that’s fan service. It’s fine, it’s just whatever to me.

There’s a scene in Blue Period where 2 dudes sit naked in a room drawing, it’s not my cup of tea but I don’t think I’d call it fan service - though I wouldn’t seek it out actively to watch that. I just didn’t turn it off because I’m not phobic of whatever people get bent out of shape about, it’s just not my preference.

I really liked Genshiken, it’s the most realistic portrayal of otaku you can find. And it’s hilarious that they invented a sub-show within the show to be obsessed with. A lot of tongue in cheek humor in the series.

I watched most of the first episode of the superhero club show by the way, but I got a little sidetracked. It’s got a few too many shounen tropes for my taste but in that it’s parody I thought it was pretty funny overall, I’ll have to finish it and give another episode a try before I make up my mind.

I’ve no problem with Demon Girl Next Door, other than HiDive abruptly dumping S1. I can, and will buy the blu ray but I was looking forward to rewatching S1 after enjoying S2 and was annoyed that I suddenly couldn’t. No exaggerated bouncing boobs, no panty shots, so
 no fan service problem.

Yuru Camp
 also no problem for me. Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me, the movie is out on Crunchyroll
 been out for months now actually.

The Yuru Camp movie is ok, but I liked the syndication show better personally. Sometimes things are better episodically than trying to add a 2 hour story arc. Demon girl next door the first season is superior, but second season was also good so I had no complaints.

I really like sangatsu no lion which I don’t know anything about shogi, but the series is excellent. I like Honey and clover and since the artist was the same the characters all felt familiar.

So I chanced another shogi themed show which was interesting, shion no ou? “Shion’s king” I think thats the name. It was a little darker. Still interesting.

I also don’t know anything about karata but Chihayafuru was great, not your typical josei anime, very sports oriented but not in an over the top sports anime way. madhouse production I believe.

I’m the right audience for Yuru Camp. Watched all available TV episodes, OVA, whatever. Love the music too. The OP sequence and song for S1 always makes me feel good

Liked the other shows mentioned but will have to discuss some other time, coz I need to do chores, make dinner, play guitar, etc.

Perfect blue
Paranoia agent
Gits
Zankyu no terror
Kara no kyokai
Kemonozume
Tekkonkinkreet
GTO

1 Like

some good ones. kemonozume isn’t very well known even though yuasa directed it. I’ve seen and liked all of those, nice choices. did you like millennium actress also?

If you like GTO there is an OVA series prequel called shounan junai gumi, pretty good. about onizuka and his friend the mechanic when they were in high school. different voice actors than in the gto anime though though.

Didnt watch millenium actress actually, keep forgeting about it. But the gto prequel i watched it, and i ve actually read it too.

March Comes in like a Lion - One of the GOAT drama anime. Also a great sports anime. One caveat is that the depiction of depression is, by some accounts, quite accurate - might be too accurate for some. I haven’t been diagnosed with clinical depression (the “want to do nothing but lie in bed all day” kind, not “I’m depressed cuz I can’t afford that $5000 synth” kind) so I can’t say for sure.

OP1 is quite striking

in true anime fashion, shogi matches are dramatized

The light-hearted comfy scenes with a certain family balance out the serious bits

The familys backstory is a little dramatic also though. Both Rei and the girls, everyone has a lot of baggage.

I can’t wait for another season, really a masterpiece.

Chihayafuru focuses on a different sport - karuta (carta) which was supposedly introduced to Japan by the Portuguese. Matches are also intense

Karuta IRL also looks a lot more intense than shogi

Coincidentally, a woman named Kyoko Honda held the Queen title for like 3 years in a row. No idea if her name was spelled with the same characters as the Tohru Honda’s mom in Fruits Basket.

The first 2 seasons are fun as it’s more about the comedy and showing the progress of Chihaya and her team
 Some autistic fans identify with her. The romance heats up in the last (to date) season. But
 the author doesn’t seem to know what to do with the love triangle and keeps putting off the end, so who knows.

Really good and unique sports anime for sure.

I’ve been watching Kawaisugi Crisis which is funny if you like cats or pets in general I guess, it’s presented like a gourmet genre show where the characters would normally be talking about food they instead talk about the cuteness of various animals. It’s borderline absurdia and in the premise the aliens who came to invade earth are overwhelmed and incapacitated by the cuteness of the native animals. Anyways, they just parodied Kimetsu no yaiba which I thought was funny even though I haven’t watched it and may never watch it, but I still like when an innocuous show dips into parody/satire. In this bit, the main alien character is attempting to restrain herself from frightening a kitten with her affections.

A show I really liked from a few years ago that I hope gets another season is Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro, it has a loose plot but borders on absurdia and the voice actors are great. One really funny scene that’s almost nonsensical is when 2 of the main characters Chio and Manana prove to another character the closeness of their bond by performing a ridiculous cat dance they made up in grade school - one of the funniest and most ridiculous anime moments I can ever recall seeing:

Myanimelist is still down after being hacked but their site maintenance should be over tonight and again, I’ll update with links.

Got an email from HiDive entitled “Otakus Unite”, and as usual pushing their content. Comments on the titles listed:

Otaku Elf - Only 3 episodes in. The thought of a Luthien/Galadriel/etc. Tolkien ish elf living in Tokyo as the neighborhood shrine goddess amuses me. She uses the “only miko allowed” rule as an so she can read manga, play video games, etc. without having to socialize.

Girlish Number - I started liking anime about making anime when I watched Eizouken. The MC is a riot, as an overconfident and outrageously lackadaisical voice actress. A clip of her infamous taglines: Egg says GAHAHA - YouTube

Himouto Umaru-chan R - Umaru is the perfect high school student
 at school. At home she switches to her true personality as an otaku, being a pest to her older brother (hence “himouto”) This actually the 2nd season. First season is on Crunchyroll

Outburst Dreamer Boys - previously mentioned

Real Girl - haven’t watched. I’m leery of manic pixie girl shows - the dude is some loser, the girl is 100x more awesome and wants his company for no reason

3d kanojo real girl is very good. it’s not really as your blurb would paint it. I won’t spoil the show for you but your perception of the show, is (in the show) people’s “in world” perception of the character and it’s a point they make in the show that the type of prejudicial superficiality she deals with and deeper problems beneath the surface of her life that things are not always as we perceive them to be. Although I have to say the animation style which is your more typical shoujo or josei color palate and character design (whether they are intentionally there to throw off the viewers perception or not I don’t know) do make the show seem exactly as you have perceived it to be.

otaku elf is ok so far but it’s losing me as the content is boring.

himouto umaru chan is ok in it’s overall writing and most gags but little sister and childhood friend are 2 tropes that put me off from anime titles, on the whole though the show is funny but I was turned off by (not just in this show, but in a lot of shows) the premise being built on someone’s constant lying to people painted as humorous. Also, himouto is a pun - himono is “dried fish” and refers to a woman is proper in public but lazy at home, and imouto which is of course younger sister. Being that the title is a bit derogatory, it’s kind of offputting but it’s not my place to judge things based on title, I usually just take that stuff as culturally acceptable to the audience it’s intended for.

I’ve watched several anime about anime production including eizouken which is mostly good because of the voice cast and because of yuasa’s genius directing skills - overall the plot is a little tired, but the imagination of the girls and the depiction of the creative process is entertaining. I’ve mentioned that I generally like PA works titles and shirobako is slow to start but overall good and gives a pseudo (candy coated) but realistic portrayal of the positions people in animation studios take on and some of the problems they face. An also candy coated but entertaining video game company version of this is New Game but it’s full of it’s own issues. If you take things as pure entertainment it’s usually better than seeing the truths behind them.

One of the better (although markedly shounen) titles about manga and ultimately anime production is bakuman, it’s title is also a pun which can mean explosive-man or a conjunction of baku which is an ayakashi that eats dreams and man. A lot of bakuman deals with their struggles to try and succeed as young artists drawing shounen manga and deals with it in the context of a shounen story but it touches on some more serious subjects like hospitalization and death due to overwork, people being influenced by what they create and engaging in criminal acts while imitating their creation, being creatively stuck, just things you really see in those industries.

There’s also a number of them that are more fluff oriented, but it’s a subject that’s of interest to me and I wish there was more good news about animation studios.

I was really sad to learn of the arson terror attack on KyoAni in 2019 in which so many great contributors lost their lives and I don’t think their studio will ever fully recover from that. Especially since some of the directors like naoko yamada who were so prolific and lived through the attack left the studio afterward and others like violet evergarden / kyoukai no kanata diector yasuhiro takemoto who were very prolific died in the attack.

The second season of Kobayashi maid dragon (along with the already completed but delayed violet evergarden film) was really a testament to takemoto’s final life work and I wish they had made that a little more public since they were lucky so much of it was complete. Other than the fact that I love animation, I don’t find much enviable the anime industry. It’s a pretty dark.