Anyone considering the OP-Z? (need recommendation advice)

You’ve already got two super-deep synths that can easily do amazing drums, don’t go into debt just to add another box.

5 Likes

Nice dude.
Ok let me ask you this.
Do you see it being beneficial in a studio only environment?
(not including portability & live performance)

And also for someone that won’t be taking advantage of the 3D visuals.

So that being said do you think I’ll be getting my money’s worth buy using it as a drum machine for studio purposes only.

I really do like the fact of having drum kits and your disposal instantly, without having to sample/edit.
But on the other hand I could use sound packs exclusively on the digitakt plus also be able to sample when I need too.
And they are roughly around the same price.

So my comparison comes down too;

Digitakt +sound packs+sequencer+wild card factor of sampling
VS
OP-Z +internal sounds+sequencer+wild card factor of effects

Also I heard OP-Z doesn’t really pair well with other gear. Meaning the connectivity is very limited.

Also I heard OP-Z doesn’t really pair well with other gear. Meaning the connectivity is very limited.

I am not sure where you got this from? The OP-Z is a USB host (you can plug USB controllers and even the hardware like the OP-1 directly in to it) it also has Bluetooth connectivity including midi over Bluetooth (already seen it playing an MPC Live without cables…) and has a plug in ‘expander module’ that offers full Midi (via regular sockets) and CV (4 outs, same as A4) sequencing (with dedicated tracks for Midi and CV)

I think that is playing well with other gear- its better than my Elektron gear, I need A4 and Digitone to be able to sequence Midi and CV!

1 Like

@SLiC
I got it from this thread. But now that I’ve double checked I was incorrect. Python stated that about the OP-1 not Z. Got them mixed up there.

1 Like

Initially I would say digitakt is better for studio use. And might still be further in the future. Having overbridge is a big deal for studio use.

However you already have an iOS overbridge in the OP-Z.
The OP-Z feels a lot more exciting cause there are a lot more room for future improvements. The sound plugs have great potential for some innovative synthesis. Modules have a great potential to add a lot of functions to the OP-Z.

Both devices are/will be great but if you want to sit down in the studio and do “proper” work I’m gonna have to side with digitakt due to the straightforward tweakability of the samples.

OP-Z might get there to but we don’t know that yet.

I’m actually the second person in the thread that mentined live recording with finger drumming…
It may be good to go back and look through the manual of the dt if it is really on your shortlist as live recording is a basic feature.

Also if you search mpd and digitakt on the forum, there will be at least one thread of me explaining how to set up the mpd with the digitakt.

1 Like

Rite on. But when they mentioned finger drumming they said with the MPC not digitakt.
But regardless good to know.
I will check the thread about connecting the mpd. Thanks.

@LyingDalai said
“I usually finger drum on the Digitakt : Live Record mode is made for this (and tweaking knobs live, :yum:)”

I was actually seconding what they said with my post.

2 Likes

To be honest, if you want to record vocals over beats then the MPC Live is a far better choice (and for finger drumming, great velocity sensitive pads with after-touch). The MPC Live has a ‘linear’ track for vocals so you can record and edit like a DAW, not just short mono samples……

Oh ok. I may have overlooked that.
Also when I did have the digitakt before I traded it for a digitone I realize now I was recording in chromatic mode. That’s why I was mentioning I wasn’t able to record multiple sounds live.

I’m still reading all the responses, but are you looking for a drum machine? Or a sequencer to control all your gear? Both?

The sp404a only has midi in so you can’t use it to control anything. It shines as a sampler & sound design unit (effects) tho.

Doesn’t seem like the Op-Z or OP-1 would fit your needs, but you never know. I love the Op-1, I am more creative on that thing than all my other gear, but the workflow is different, it has limitations & it doesn’t play well with others (it DOES play well with others in the sampling dept, but not midi). Supposedly the Op-z is the 1 that will play well with others, but I don’t have experience with it.

MPC Live would be great as your main sequencer/sampler, but if you don’t have a computer you can’t take advantage of the software.

Personally I love the MPC workflow, but I also love working with samples…the MPC has a great sequencer too. I think the best bang for the buck is the MPC 1000 or 2500 due to JJOS. I have both & love them both. With JJOS, the 1000 workflow would be close to the same as the 2500 (with the 2500 you get extra midi, extra q-links, extra audio outs, can also include a cd/dvd writer/player, which you can use to sample off of & you can also record your beats on to cd, but these are really the only advantages of the 2500 over the 1000 if the 1000 has JJOS).

I have the sp404sx, been using it daily for about 3 years, it has a lot of uses (I make beats on it, I hold all my beats on it & make little mixes, it’s great at sound design AND performance effects). If you want to hear examples of the sp404 (sx or a, they’re the same) I have a lot of sp battle beats in my bandcamp (www.sharris.bandcamp.com). It took me awhile to even get to this point with the 404sx & the beats are basic. & I use it daily. So if you want to gain skill, go for a 404sx or 404a, it’s a limited device, but this is how gaining skills come in. Once you are able to make decent beats on a sp404 you can make music on anything.

If the Digitakt had you “lost” then I think an Octatrack may be beyond all comprehension :wink:

2 Likes