Anyone here move from the US to EU?

I’m a Scot but have had a number of placements in america, France, Norway, Netherlands, Germany and Italy.

For work, I always preferred america, brits and Americans when it comes to work for me seem to be more aligned, just easier to get stuff done, approach problems the same way etc. agree with the intense remark but that’s way I liked the place, I’d admire the way many Americans approach their lives…just wish you didn’t have to drive EVERYWHERE (most of my time was in Texas).

Yeah work live balance in Norway n France was something else lol… frustrating to get work done but then who cares when your enjoying life! Norway wins hands down on work life balance…

For me tho, for absolute enjoyment, you can never beat northern Italy. A fucking awesome place, the work there will make you gasp in horror and make you laugh out loud at the same time…rules? What rules!… hopefully I can get on another contract to get back there. The people, the food, the banter, the view, you name it, it has it.

Also, fuck brexit and the donkey shagging self serving politicians who pushed it.

6 Likes

Please elaborate it, I’m curious about your experience :smiley:

1 Like

Or you can live in the European countryside and have a big house and a car that you drive everywhere.

Like others have stated: the different countries across europe are wildly different culturally, but based on geographic location a short (and overly stereotypical) summary would be:

Northern Europe: terrible climate, progressive, great welfare state compared to the rest of the world (people are taken care off in regards to healthcare, education etc), terrible food, more practical/efficiency based, less ‘celebrating life’, but everything is organised very well.

Southern Europe: nice weather, more traditional culturally, slightly worse welfare state, things are less organised/efficiency based but people seem to be enjoying life more. Way better food!

Western Europe: Historically more American Capitalist influence, more progressive.

Eastern Europe: Traces of former sovjet influence, more traditional.

Of course this a complete generalisation and a lot of countries are exeptions to the above.

4 Likes

Haha. There’s many examples…

One of my favs was we were doing some material testing…or at least we needed it done to verify what they were supplying met the specification… so I ask in a meeting to send me info on the impact testing as there was some concerns the witness signatures were faked… I then got emailed a photo of a hammer… cheers but I’m gonna need abiiittt more detail than that… I then got emailed back the same photo of the hammer but more zoomed in… got to love it!

there was never a dull moment, but we always got the jobs done, usually over lunch with wine… : )

1 Like

Don’t come to the Netherlands, already too crowded here.

On a serious note: if I would have to pick a new place to live in the EU, it would defo be Portugal, especially if you are not depending on the Portuguese labour market. And it is still close to your family.

Pro’s: low cost of living, affordable housing (Alentejo my favorite region with lots of space and beautiful coast line), great climate and Portuguese people are ace.

3 Likes

Haha your response made me think of this:

‘Denmark is the top ranking country when it comes to lego’s’ :joy:

3 Likes

Well, the first question most strangers ask you in the USA at a party or whatever is “what do you do?” which I’ve used most my adult life to decide who not to get to know.

7 Likes

Which reinforces my point beautifully.

“As little as possible” is often my reply to that one. The subsequent response is often enough to gauge whether or not it’s worth pursuing a conversation.

10 Likes

I’m interested to know your cutoff point to this question. Presumably if they reply ‘drug dealer’, ‘murderer’, ‘terrorist’ you give them a wide berth. But if they reply ‘dustbin man’, ‘nurse’, ‘bus driver’, ‘house husband’, ‘nuclear physicist’, ‘musician’, ‘Professor’, ‘shop assistant’, ‘McDonald’s server’, ‘comic book illustrator’ you make a judgement?

I don’t make a judgement based on what the other person does as that’s not something I would ask a person who I don’t know well.

“This and that” has always been my default answer. Some people just don’t know what else to talk about I guess. It’s not like I walk away after a person asks me and I’m less likely to be as reactionary the older I get but it always struck me as if the person is trying to determine my placement in the social hierarchy or if I might be good to network with. I haven’t had a serious American girlfriend since high school and feel like this is somewhat related.

1 Like

I guess my comment was somewhat confusing, I meant that a person asking that question sort of turns my mind off to them, not what they “do” in life regarding employment.

Ah ok. My misunderstanding. Sounds like we are making the same point.

1 Like

Indeed. On a side note when I would meet someone from Scotland the first question I would ask them is if they drank buckfast which in hindsight but be an annoying question.

2 Likes

Are you from Yorkshire?

1 Like

No, I’m from New Jersey :smile:

haha. Was going by the Kes avatar.

1 Like

You mean us passport holders could stay in the EU longer than 90 days before?

Cause that’s been the case for all tourism for a very long time for other non eu passport holders :thinking: didn’t know united states tourists had special treatment.