Anyone here move from the US to EU?

I grew up in a village with about 200 inhabitants in northern Germany (Ostfriesland) and I think I didn’t see a black person in real life until I was about 12 or so… So much for that.

Anyway, I saw a few places here in Germany and also visited a few countries around the world. I feel pretty happy here in Germany, all things considered. But it is VERY dependant on the city you live in. I’ve been living in Oldenburg for about nine years now and I really like it here and don’t see any reason to move. Reasons for this being a nice place:

• not too small, not too big
  • the university does attract a lot of young people
  • beautiful architecture
  • some nice cafes to hang out
  • everything can be done with a bike
  • don’t own a car, car sharing is an option
  • it’s possible to find work directly in Oldenburg
  • still expensive though but it’s not Hamburg!

But yeah, that’s highly personal. I suggest seeking out smaller cities with a high student ratio because they do influence the feel of a city very much.

Racism exists but there’s also a strong left influence and it’s usually higher in bigger cities. The farther away, the more conversative people tend to be.

And like the others said: Germany is vastly different from the southern countries but also not comparable to England or Finland for example. All the countries have a loooong history, mostly going back a few hundred years. Human beings in general have been around here for a few hundred thousand years. You’ll find history at every corner and that’s why each country feels so different.

We have Reichsbürger, Nazis and the AFD but you can talk about religion, politics, finances, sex and drugs freely without fear. Sure, there are topics which are still difficult in public like transgender or mental health issues but things are moving forward in a good direction, I think.

2 Likes

Hate to say this but it’s true and I’ve experienced it first hand

I once got invited to a dinner party by my neighbour. An old lady came and asked where I’m from and immediately asked, “Oh?! Which restaurant do you work for?” I’m Asian btw

@BassesAndPads If relations in Spain can help you get registered and get oriented, go for it. But you didn’t mention what profession you could work in. This is a pretty decisive factor. If you’ve got in demand skills, you’ll get a work permit. What part of Spain are your relations in?

Not “a few hundred years” - documented history over four thousand years (Greece, Balkans), France, Britain cca 2000.

Denmark

1 Like

Nice try, but incorrect!

Macedonia? They make the best ajvar.

2 Likes

Sure, people moved from the east to the landmass known as Germany around 5000 BC :smiley:

But I was referring to the states as they are know today.

2 Likes

According to that criteria, Germany is quite a bit younger than the USA.

So @BassesAndPads, what you can summize from this thread is that Europe appears to be full of argumentative fuckers who’d rather argue about the semantics of racism and constitutional history than help a brother out with some quality of life advice.

11 Likes

If you ask me that illustrates the appeal of moving to a country where you don’t understand the language.

3 Likes

I think the key point of living in Europe for me (having lived many years in Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, and France, and having spent some time in the US) is a huge variety of languages, societal and cultural institutions and traditions, nature, etc. with everything at the same time being very close and accessible.

I do not know the exact admin hurdles to take in order to move from the US to the EU, but I guess staying beyond a tourist visa is as difficult in this direction as it is in the other… I guess that you would have to have at least have an EU employer requesting an extended visa or residence permit for you.

I’m not recommending this… but I was shocked to find out that a friend of mine has been living in France for the past 5+ years on an American tourist visa coming and going as he pleases. He claims that because his passport has so many stamps the immigration officers just flip through it and give him another one. Sounds very anxiety inducing.

1 Like

I think the problems will come when you need medical care, open a bank account, search for a job, subscribe an internet contract, etc. - this might differ across countries, but I would definitely not try to stay on a tourist visa.

1 Like

I completely agree but find it perplexing considering how immigration has computers and whatnot but they managed (he and his girlfriend who is also American) to rent a house, buy a car, etc…

Since you are from the US, if you come to Europe you might struggle to be satisfied with your pay, unless you are high management or you have very specific, hard to find skills. And even this varies a lot within the EU.

I’m originally from Slovenia, but moved to Malta 8 years ago to follow a new career path. Economy wise Malta is pretty solid. Sure there is corruption, like everywhere else, but here it’s maybe a bit more out in the open. There is almost no homeless people, even if for the past 10 years there has been a massive influx of economic migrants from Africa and from the East. There is a weird combination of history, religion and laws in place. All in all Malta is VERY Christian Catholic, so abortion is banned. But then big game gambling is legal, and so is recreational Marijuana use. The language is semitic, but written in latin characters. There is a strong historic UK vibe, with some French, Italian, Arabic and Spanish thrown in. English is one of the official languages. It consists of three Islands, two of which are populated. There is only two political parties, Nationalist and Labour (currently in place, and has been for a few mandates). There is too many cars, and the whole infrastructure makes it hard to walk anywhere. Forget bicycles. A car is nice to have even if it seems so small you could walk anywhere. (I need to add here, that if you go to the countryside, there is plenty places to walk, but in the populated space, infrastructure is not really that great for pedestrians). There are some beautiful and historic places on the island, but there is not a lot of nature. Overall I feel like home here now, but am one of the rare northern Europeans who stay long. The main issues are less green nature, really hot summers, and a bit of an anarchic societal tendency (not too much enforcement of anything). I enjoy all those points to a large degree (I like the rock and the sea). I especially enjoy 300 sunny days per year and 8 months of basically summer, with short, green and never snowy winters. And, again, the economy is solid (for now). The music scene is hollow, most people just chugging on commercial or hard techno. however, there is an empty spot within the underground movements, so a lot of potential to actually invent if you have the will and time. I mostly just do music for myself and enjoy very much when I take my portable gear to the cliffs, beach or some nice historic spots.

On the other hand Slovenia is beautiful, quite well organised and clean, but it is not as friendly to expats, mainly because of language difficulties. Pay is also worse and it is not as friendly to capitalistic interest… read; not very appealing to business, because of the way tax works and what types of work contracts are available. Also, politically very polarised, which you might be familiar with in the US. I prefer to live in Malta and visit my home country to see friends, family and nature. Or they come to see me and enjoy the sun!

I know people around the globe with a lot in Europe, so I know some information first hand. If you go to Spain look at the Asturias area, Leon and so on. Beautiful, amazing food, close to the ocean, and mountains and living prices are cheaper. Work economy is not that great though (but getting stronger). Maybe Madrid would be your best option. The metro is great, and there is a fast train connection to best points in Spain. I am actually considering to move there in some years.

Portugal is also good. I love Porto and Lisbon. Countryside is beautiful too! But… the work economy sucks.

Cyprus is another option with solid economy.

Other parts of EU are too cold for my tastes, but Germany is cool to live in otherwise, as are most of the nordic countries. Ireland as well.

Italy can be nice, but overall don’t think it’s the best place for expats.

France same-same, but as a US American you shouldn’t have too many issues.

5 Likes

I am an absolute loaner but I’m offloading quite a bit right now to add to my savings and start traveling with a single backpack. I am an avid football fan from America and I’d like to see Emirates stadium before I die. However, the entire world appears interesting to me.

If flights to Nepal weren’t so expensive that’s where I’d start. I am considering starting with London or Ireland, though.

I hate American infrastructure. Everyday I wake up here, I have a fever dream that my existence is defined by suburban vehicular slavery. The pedestrian doesn’t exist outside big cities, cars are the default instead of feet. If you don’t have a car here you’re fucked. You’re literally forced to pay for a car, eat depreciation, pay for gas, insurance, maintenance, and be enslaved be foreign oil just to GET STARTED with a life.

That is what irks me. I am fit and enjoy using my feet. I also happen to love trains. If I travel for the next few years it might be inevitable that I relocate.

Traveling will help me put the goodness of America in perspective and what I should be thankful for, but this is an unforgivable grievance to me that I find interferes too much with my bodily existence. If I was born as a car or truck I’d love America so much.

I’d like to hear more if you relocate.

3 Likes

I really want to go to Bhutan it seems like heaven on earth probably in part because it’s so hard to immigrate there and you need to hire a guide to even visit.

Looks absolutely ridiculous. The best part about other countries compared to America is that they’re smaller. So often they’re highly developed in centers while almost untouched in the countryside (unless of course big business is there plundering it).

I am going to have to review some countries though, I am a typical American, didn’t particularly pay attention in world history, or even American history. Sri Lanka is another great one to me because as a Floridian I just love the tropics. I’m definitely interested the Jamaican Blue Mountains because I am a coffee addict.

Who knows where it’ll take me. Traveling with a single backpack is quite the path due to the agility of it. I do not know how I will make money after a while, but it’s something I’d like to do. I can’t afford land to homestead here, so nomadic traveling is its polar opposite that I will tackle.

This would also force me to make music with only a laptop again which could spark creativity on the trip as well as when I return.

1 Like

Ever consider doing the Appalachian trail? I am leaving to do 6 months worth in Spring and would like to traverse the Via Alpina one day.