Are my mixer requirements impossible?

If you’re going to be working in Reaper anyway, would you consider a standalone audio interface and then just a midi controller?

That way you can basically build your own mixer. And since you’re in the DAW anyway you won’t really lose much?

2 Likes

Yeah - I don’t own one but I’ve been looking for a mixer with the same requirements

Has anyone tried the FC Pro Mixthesizer? I just saw it in the SFF thread and it checks a lot of these requirements

I had a look at the Mixthesizer specs etc. yesterday. Very beautiful concept and execution. But I am not sure the aux sends are stereo (the returns are, though), and as far as I see, there is no usb streaming of the mix buss or indiv. channels available. And probably above OP’s initial price range as well.

If you can live without real faders or motorised faders check out this:

The mixers of this QSC-series (8/16/32 channels) can be extended by connecting a SSD-drive, which makes the mixer a OTB flexible multi-channel recording/playback device. They also are a multi-channel interface for Mac/PC.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I’m doing at the moment, and using Radial XTC2 Stereo to add hardware inserts, but the latency is just too great for jamming (guitar or synth in + insert out + insert back in). I’ve come to the conclusion that this workflow is just not possible for jamming. It’s fine for processing recordings, but live the latency is just too great (and I have an Audient iD44 which has v low latency). This is why I want to take the mixer out of the door and into hardware. My (possibly incorrect) assumption is that latency with a hardware mixer will not be a problem.

If I could solve the latency problem of passing through ADC/DAC three times I would be happy to stay in-DAW, but I think that is a hard-limit that can’t be eliminated.

Zoom Livetrack L-20

On the L-20 (just this model) you can use the 6 monitor outs as 6 mono or 3 stereo Aux Channels. You can switch between headphone and linear output mode (later is the way to go).

On top, you have those group abilities, to create routings, that can be recalled at any time.

On top, you can use it as a soundcard.

On top, you can record directly on a sd card.

:v:t2:

Why do you need more than 4 out over USB? In your description it says you are looking to do some basic things like setting levels with the mixer to record jams on the way in, and then do the rest in Reaper.

My solution for this when I was recording bands was a Mixwizard 14:4:2 and a couple of Echo Audiofire interfaces linked as an aggregate device. Nowadays Big SiX will get you there but it’s pricey!

Yes. You described your need for stereo and mono channels. On the XR18 you have 16 channels that can be coupled to act as stereo. So very flexible.
I reread your first post and I think the XR18 has everything you need including the stereo sends and the 18 input audio interface. BTW it has onboard FX that helped me a lot in live situations.

1 Like

And did you know that the controller unit for the XR18 is a highly integrated controller for Reaper?
Might not be on your specs list bit I can guide you if you want to.
I didn´t buy the combo with this in mind but realized quickly how useful this is.
You can switch this back and forth between controlling the mixer and Reaper.

The XR18 it´s a full-fledged digital mixer with EQ/Comp/Gate on every channel.
You have 18 inputs (16 mono + 1 stereo) and can route everything in a very flexible manner via the control app.
8 Outputs (6 mono busses and the stereo master). The busses can not be coupled.
So stereo sends is possible but not very handy when you want to change the send level on the fly.
Didn´t know of that feature on the Zoom mixer but that is very cool to have of course.

Ah, you mentioned the Hi-Z Inputs. Channel 1+2 have exactly this feature.

And you mentioned your need for a lot of interface inputs.
The XR18 shows up as 18 in / 16 out audio-interface. You can of course only utilize 8 physical outputs at a time.
But you can route audio streams from within your DAW into your live-mix on a per track basis.

I was in a similar situation 4 years ago where I was thinking of how to organize my studio/live setup.
I never regretted that I bought this combo. It´s a workhorse helping to get things done.
I know that Behringer products often don´t have that reputation but I have to say that this thing has made my production workflow so much easier.
You probably even don´t need the controller unit. There is a pretty good control-app that works on all major platforms.

1 Like

@TheWhistler Thanks for writing this up. Really helpful. I’m suppressing the Behringer gag-reflex and actually this (or a similar stagebox) looks like it might be perfect. I’d initially thought it wasn’t much more than an Audio Interface, so I’d have hit the same problem trying to use inserts, but now (I think) I see that your can set up aux/returns and they will happen before the ADC into laptop/Reaper which solves that problem. This would allow me to continue using Reaper for its mixer and potentially pick up a USB controller for some real-world vol sliders, mutes and solos.

I want to be able to record each channel in isolation so I can edit / reassemble in Reaper.

Big SiX? Oh man. I wish.

16+ channels to give you 8 stereo ins you mean?
What are you plugging into the mixer?

I am not really sure what you mean by this.
The XR18 has NO physical inserts into channels.
It has a matrix where you can route things around quite flexible (and sometimes puzzling).
It is possible to send every channel out again (to one of the six aux-outs/the stereo master) while recording it to USB at the same time.

The latency of the XR18 is really short (I read about 0.8 ms) never had an issue with it at all.
Sending things back and forth to Reaper migth cause latency problems though.
What is the thing you want to achive with that kind of routing and why would you want to use Reaper as a mixer.
This is the real advantage of a real mixer (not just an audio interface) that you can use it as one.
It is even possible to chose the output point (behind input, input and mute, eq, compressor).
You use what you want or leave it out (for a more pure signal) if you want to work on it later on.

You can of course use a USB controller as nearly anything in the XR18 is controllable via midi.

Yeah, tell us what you want to put in there to better understand what you want to accomplish. :wink:

Doesn´t have 16+ inputs, right?
No XLR input? I mean really? SSL?

It’s got 16 inputs that can go direct to USB! 4 mono with XLR and phantom power, 4 full stereo channel strips, and two more less-full-featured stereo channels. But yes, it’s a lot of money

If there is someone funding this - no problem. Clients or rich daddy. :joy: :joy:
I have no doubt that it sounds awesome.

And of course 4 XLR on the front. Sorry did not recognize.

1 Like