Are my mixer requirements impossible?

There’s also the Mixwizard 14:4:2 that you could check out. It trades some individual outs for busses. Not sure if it ticks all the boxes but it might be worth a look. More stereo channels at least.

A last addition: you do have to open up the Mixwizard to change the individual outs to post fader. Maybe some soldering? Worth to check the manual and see if you think you’d manage to do it yourself.

Thanks. The 16.2 is definitely looking like a good option, other than the lack of individual channel meters, but I’m starting to realise that’s less common that I thought (the Zoom L-20 I currently have has nice per-channel meters). Seems like most people are using tablets for those now.

I’ve been looking at the 4th gen version, but are the older versions worth looking at?

I’ve found that using send/returns from Reaper results in too much latency for playing live. Fine for reamping, but live the latency is noticeable. You can get away with it if you are just going in, but when you are going in, out, and back in it is problematic. But a surface controlling a mixer like the Behringer stage-box might do it.

Post Fader should be absolutely possible. For any given monitor out.

Have a look:

:v:t2:

That sucks it didn’t work out for what you needed. It makes sense the way they’ve done it aimed at a band setting I guess, but seeing as the audio is all in the digital domain at that point it’s a shame there isn’t the option to set each of the monitor outs to respond to pre or post channel fader.

I guess riding the input gain knob for each channel is a bit less of a good time.

1 Like

It´s always annoying to spend/waste a lot of time looking for a specific solution and finding out that it will not work the way you intended.
Just wanted to mention again: The Behringer XR18 can do this easily.
You can select nearly any point in the signal chain to put out to the sends via a matrix.
But that does not help. You have purchased already, right?

1 Like

@Pedr sorry if you’ve said already but which audio interface do you currently have?

I’ll +1 for the suggestion of an analogue mixer such as one from the MixWizard range to pair with an interface. MixWizards have great audio and build quality with loads of features in a small footprint. Rackmountable too!

You could also consider some other options from the A&H range if space isn’t an issue… I have an old GS3 24 channel that I used to run with a MOTU 24 I/O and that was a lovely setup! Latency free monitoring, nice audio quality and musical EQ and loads of routing options.

1 Like

I have a Qu24.
I found I rarely (never) use all the tracks since I got patchbays.
Maybe 24 tracks could be lowered in your case…

Yeah. It does make sense. I was trying to use it for something is wasn’t designed for, but like you say, probably would have been an easy add given its digital.

Riding the gain was the first thing I tried, but with the lines, zero gain isn’t zero Db.

Yeah I have, but will return. It’s as new.

I think my ultimate plan will involve an audio interface of some kind (quite possibly the XR18) with an analog mixer in front. Looks like the XR18’s line inputs bypass the preamps which is appealing over my current Audio Interface.

I have an Audient iD44 + 2 Behringer ADA8200 which gives my plenty of inputs. However the lines on the Behringer still go through the preamps, so I might simplify to the XR18 as I don’t really need the iD44’s preamps (although it is a lovely bit of kit).

Definitely liking the Mix Wizard. Just not sure I could get used to not having per-channel meters.

1 Like

Lucky you if can still return :wink:

I don’t really get why you want an analog mixer in front of it. The XR18 is a very capable mixer AND an audio interface.
The preamps are ok, nothing special but not annoying and really do their job.
I don’t know if they are bypassed but I don’t think so. Even line signals need some amplification every now and then.

1 Like

I had a look at the schematic and it looked like they were but maybe I misread it.

I’d be using it just for IO, rather than as a mixer, but for the price I don’t know another way to get 16 channels in a single device.

In terms of why use a separate mixer, for the UI I guess. I took a look at the Behringer surface and it looked like a real faff to get set up. I just want the tech out of the way rather than spending my time fiddling around with config. A separate mixer seems like a nice way to do that.

I would not bet on it and maybe you´re right. :wink:

It´18 :wink: IN/OUT

Behringer UMC1820[/LEFT][LEFT]

If you only need 18 INs you might go with this. I used the smaller brother and was quite satisfied with it. Much cheaper than the XR18.

I get your point and there is something to it. But the time is well invested.
The App runs on any platform (mac/PC/Android) on the cheapest hardware, so you don´t even need the real hardware unit.
On the other hand the XR18 is a Mackie control surface (and I read you are a Reaper user, right?).
It saved our asses many times perfoming live (using it for inEar, using scenes for different songs, etc.).
Once you get your head around it´s really flexible…but it´s Behringer…:wink:

You could try to pickup a Soundcraft Ghost with a meterbridge and use your existing audio interface with it?

1 Like

I’ve said it before elsewhere, but I’ll say it again… having a mixer and audio interface in ONE device is great in some respects (space, cabling, maybe workflow and recall etc) if you can afford to buy something high quality with plenty of overhead in channel count/features etc, but that leaves no room for upgrading one element later without replacing the whole unit.

Keeping the mixer and the interface functions separate means you can expand / upgrade later in a modular manner, with all the benefits that brings - fewer new things to learn, reconfigure, recable, reinstall, and you’ll likely find units that have more precisely the features and workflow you want when they are each doing a more focussed task.

You’re on Elektronauts so I’m pretty sure you’ll add sound sources again in the future and if you were to get an XR18 you’re stuck with it’s channel count which might be enough now, but will it always be enough? :smiley:

1 Like

Thats not stricly true. I use the cranbourne audio 500 rb with the adat expansion. Cant really get more flexable than that.

Ha yes indeed! But in the OPs budget range you’d be hard pressed to find an expandable ‘mixerface’ (always lol at that term!) that ticks his boxes.