Are Neumann KH120’s still best bang for buck?

why is sonar better?

I don’t use a sub with the 120s and honestly don’t miss one. Requires extra care of the room soundwise, too.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what the technical difference is but I found SW to sound more neutral. I have used SW for a long time though so it might just be me.

1 Like

Instead of buying a sub you could download the uncrippled FabricVerb demo and strap that on your final output. Impulse response of being stood in centre of empty 2nd big London nightclub room. Brutal soundcheck on your low end

Also don’t you need an Ipad(makes me question their entire software approach) to do the Neumann DSP stuff?

I did not try it but you have to connect all your speakers to your network via lan cable and use their software on ipad via wlan plus their mic if you have. Indeed a little bit weird.

You don’t need an iPad. If you get the measurement microphone you can use the automatic alignment software (which is really incredible) on your desktop computer. No iPad needed. You can do manual adjustments in that application as well.

The iPad app is only for manually changing settings. And it’s an OR thing. Or you use the mic plus auto alignment desktop application. or you use the ipad app.

LAN connection to control DSP is common for this kind of thing. It’s really as simple as connecting the speaker/sub to the same network as your computer and that’s it.

I recently got the kh750 and the alignment software guides you through the measurements is great and very easy. And the end result has been mind blowing.

FYI @Monobear

2 Likes

Ahh did not know that. But you have to buy their software or their mic right? Can‘t use their software with the sonarworks mic?

Yeah the software is free but you have to use their mic with it. You get a specific calibration profile that the software will use, just like sonarworks uses their own calibrated mic for best results.

They are still pleasing to listen to, even if they are flat. I love my KH120s.

I’ve demoed my 120s against some Yamaha monitors that were extremely clinical or maybe harsh in comparison.

1 Like