Are there more octatrack players than bassoon players? How big is the bedroom electronic music market/scene?

How many people play both?

1. But only 2 of them are from New Orleans
4 Likes

I’m pretty sure this guy has both by now:

3 Likes

If I play an electronic wind instrument with bassoon on it does that count as playing the bassoon?

There’s probably less of us than either bassoon or octatrack players.

lets check ebay, i have at least 3 other synth enthusiasts in 10 km range. Ok, i live in a dense city enviroment… that is somewhat expected.

I love the sound of the oboe, somone should make xover tracks with it. (metal or electro, chill etc)

I lived in New Orleans and saw tons of bands, and was in a couple. Never saw a bassoonist. Even in the orchestra I played in.

2 Likes

Yes, but the vast majority of school bands, big bands, and jazz bands have no bassoonists. We’re talking mainly orchestras here, and talk about a dying breed.

Orchestra is in danger of growing stale, bassoonists are going to need to take it to strange new places

3 Likes
3 Likes

More bassoon deep dive

5 Likes

R/bassoon on Reddit has 7.3k members compared with R/Elektron’s 27.6k members, if that makes another data point for a loosely informed guess.

I don’t suppose OT or other Elektron devices have easily decipherable serial numbers? The apparently truly serial numbers on gear I have to hand suggests some smaller makers’ run numbers (O-Coast, 14k, Nymphes, 1000) up to the time I bought them in “fresh” batches last year…

chappelle-crack

Does anyone know where to get some bassoon samples… for my Octatrack?

2 Likes

Because they’re really good at hide and seek. You can never find the little bastards.

4 Likes

The unusual playing angle of the bassoon blocks line of sight. -3 modifier for cover, additional -1 modifier for bass.

I mean, you cant even get close with an octatrack, zero defensive capabilities.

3 Likes

Except the dude with the contrabassoon. Can always find him no matter how hard he tries.

5 Likes

Unlike the octatrackists.

2 Likes

thanks

1 Like

But what about replays? Also need to take into account the complexity of the device/number of times someone needs to watch the video to fully grasp everything. At least for me I watch these tuts several times

I’ve watched every OT video an average of 87 times. Non-OT owner here.

5 Likes

Please view my bassoon track 87 times!

4 Likes