Arturia MicroFreak

Had mine a few weeks now, so much better when you can get some fx on it . Just putting it through my old boss delay pedal opens it up . Getting a bit bored of the presets now so need to either get some good patches in look at making my own. Does this thing do a hoover impression?

Seems to be a typical modulation task for an envelope, which is triggered by the keys, isnā€™t it?

The two envelopes can be routed via the matrix to nearly every parameter, even modulating the LFOs with the envelopes should be possible.

1 Like

LFO Retriggering

1 Like

I know about the envelopes and the lfo, but Iā€™m trying something different, thatā€™s why Iā€™m trying to use the modulation sequencer.

If our answers are disappointing, maybe be more specific in your question, LFOs and envelopes are modulation sources.

2 Likes

I guess you mean ā€¦ ā€œuse the sequencer for modulationā€.

I checked the manual on this ā€¦ advantage of home-office :wink: ā€¦ section 13 explains the details ā€¦

2 Likes

I know, I had it open on my screen when trying to get this working, Iā€™ve been on this forum long to know how to RTFM.

I managed to write sequences that use the 4 modulations slots and notes and play in sync, itā€™s just 1 specific thing I canā€™t figure out: how to have a sequence start playing with each key press, instead of having to press play (on the MF or on an external sequencer).

Which is annoying as I know Iā€™m close to it, I might just be overlooking 1 simple step somewhereā€¦

Why didnā€™t you explain this earlier, that makes it very clear now. Let me go back to the studio and check it out ā€¦ IIRC I had it a couple of days ago ā€¦ I will report back.

1 Like

Oops that was easy ā€¦ just back ā€¦ hoping itā€™s what youā€™re after.

Thatā€™s what I did:

• started with an initial patch
  • switched to sequencer mode
  • put in some notes in the sequence
  • hit a key and here we go as long as the key was pressed. Stops in mid sequence, when the key is released and starts from the beginning, when another key is hit ā€¦

Thatā€™s what the mode of the buttons and the ā€œicon stripā€ over the keyboard was ā€¦

• sequencer mode was on (blue light)
  • the ā€œpattern playā€ was off
  • the ā€œUPā€ was on and sequence A selected
  • the ā€œBendā€ was on
  • all others off

Hope this helps ā€¦

5 Likes

Honestly just write your questions clearly instead, people are just trying to help

How do you want us to guess which modulation you were talking about?!

1 Like

I know, in my mind it was a super clear question, reading it in hindsight thoughā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll try that on lunch break, the MF is within hands reach but if I turn it on I will sink time into itā€¦

1 Like

It did help!
What I was doing wrong was programming the modulation lanes without adding a note as I thought the note would come from the key press. I just had to add a long note.

1 Like

Great you got it running ā€¦ :smiley: :+1:

It was annoying me to no end as I knew it was possible, it was just that 1 stepā€¦

Got a Microfreak for Christmas. More than impressed with the range of sounds it offers, which the name kind of masks a bit.

Going to connect to a Korg NTS1 for some added effects. Lots of fun to be had :grinning:

4 Likes

It really benefits from some effects imho, got a cheap old boss delay and reverb on mine , really opens it up

3 Likes

Hey guys, does the audio input functions only for vocoder?
Can you process external audio using Microfreakā€™s filter and envelops instead? (like a Korg Monologue)

Thanks

Nope

1 Like

Theyā€™re a great combo together, I use either the NTS1 or the Zoom Multistomp. a hint of reverb and the MF really shines. At the moment is my go-to synth and keyboard, I really enjoy the keybed, Iā€™m not a keyboard player so this works really well for me.
The only thing I donā€™t really use is the sequencer, seems like an afterthought.

2 Likes