At what point can someone consider themselves a musician?

this is great

1 Like

I’m not a musician, I’m an artist.
I’m not an artist, I’m an electronic music composer.
lol

2 Likes

This reminds me of that Music Meme.

“…you don’t know what music sounds like. You were raised on plugins. You don’t know the variance of true analog sound!”

2 Likes

Let’s look around: at what point can someone consider themselves a basketball player? … a movie passionate? … a runner? … a cook? … a collector of stuff? … a whatever? The answer is: whenever. If you want to be credible, better be passionate about the topic though :cool:

2 Likes

memes are plug ins for observational humor

I’d like to agree but I know so many professionals who are fully accredited and also credible who have absolutely zero passion for the fields of their credability

2 Likes

Haha.

“…what’s the deal with those airplane peanuts”

Hits like.

“What the F is TE selling us now.”

1 Like

“professional”

This is an interesting question…

When I used to perform as a drummer, I called myself a musician. I did get paid and I recorded. Nothing big. It was all local stuff and I was doing this before being legally allowed to drink.

When I stopped performing, I stopped calling myself a musician because… like the art teacher mentioned, the expectation it sets up.

It was easier saying I’m a drummer (something I’ll still say) or saying I play the drums but I always felt that by identifying myself as a musician it quickly followed with the dreaded question of… “Where do you play?”

So I don’t use musician to describe myself.

2 Likes

HARD disagree on the idea that you need to get paid for it.

That just means you’re a business person. Either it’s a living or a side-hustle and neither of those have anything to do with musical aptitude or output.

It’s easy to say that anyone who makes money from music is a musician, but I’d also argue that not all musicians make money from it.

The etymology of the word “musician” roughly defines it as someone who is skilled in music. I think it’s as simple as that. You may have your own subjective interpretation of what constitutes “skill”, but personally I hate the fact that our society seems to measure value only monetarily, and I don’t really see what money has to do with music at all.

3 Likes

Yes, that can happen with any job. You are right, that does not remove their credibility. My statement was indeed geared towards the “aspiring” musician.

1 Like

Yeah, the where do you play question.

It’s even worse if you make art or music, and show it to someone, and their face goes blank, because you don’t make the music or art that they like, specifically.

Meanwhile, I mentioned somewhere else, I stopped showing my friends or family anything I do, because they always look underwhelmed or give advice, meanwhile, they never picked up a brush or an instrument ever. So they obviously don’t know enough to even criticize.

I know my stuff can be rough, and sometimes it sound like shit, even to me. But if I’m sharing something I put alot of work into and at least appreciate the effort.

1 Like

oooff.

I may have to rethink my position.

I think if you make music on a regular basis that makes you a musician. I’d only call someone who steals other people’s work or performs without ever having practiced and without a drop of self-awareness and yet thinks they’re good “not a real musician”.

1 Like

True.

I mean I’ll steal the shit out of a track to sample something, but I’m under no allusions of who it came from originally. And wouldn’t even try to get paid off it without involving the originator.

1 Like

“I’m a musician”

4 Likes

You’re a musician if you play/make music, ideally on a musical instrument. If you get paid then extra bonus points.

You’re a pro musician if you get paid for your music, whilst simultaneously extracting no enjoyment from it.

Slightly OT, but the healthy headspace is where you don’t care for the effort appreciation.

My father is an artist. His mother, my grandmother disliked his art which she knew was very skilled but compositionally she disliked and wished he would find a different style because to her, he was stuck. She also wanted to be an artist before settling down with a family so she did know.

He actually has a new style now. He shares it and I respond with what I like but I don’t always like the whole thing. He doesn’t need my opinion but I get it’s hard not be excited when you complete something that you’re proud of.

And who cares about rough. I was going over stuff from 2015 that’s not half bad, but sounds a little dated now. I probably should have shared it back then. We all get better by doing and sometimes the absence of likes and mentions is every bit as powerful as the likes.

5 Likes

no extra points for vocalists? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Anyone can be a musician. Few can be magicians.

3 Likes

So more bonus points if you’re magician in the bedroom?

1 Like