Bad user interfaces that keep you from using gear

I prefer knobs/value once you get used to it much easier to see accurately what value is set IMHO.

But it is an interesting point, how preference over displayed info is shown - on the one hand I really like the ST graphics, not for showing info though, which to be blunt they don’t do as well as a rotary knob or slider graphic would. But they are fun, and nicely designed.

I also prefer event list to piano roll, and grid style sequencing to notation, but I don’t really like hexadecimal numerical representation for music either.

I guess it is partly what you get used to maybe in formative years of musical journey.

1 Like

But on the Digis you have have the Graphics as well as the values for the envelopes. best of both worlds. But I have a strong love hate relationship to the elektron envelopes, because they are not willing to make the curves shangeable to lin or log. thats not really a UI thing. But it always makes it some kind of stiff. I don´t have the feeling that I can really form the envelope like I have the feeling I can form the timbre on the other pages and that is a shame. You can just shorten or lenghten the sound. For Grooveboxes that really feels limiting to me and I can´t understand it in any way. There are so many digital envelopes out there and it should be a really small problem. So it seems to be a really bad design decision.
A XAOC Zadar Modul comes to mind, where you not even can tweak envelope parameters but you can mold the envelopes. very expressive.

And shouldn´t the UI not support ways to be most expressive. IMHO

Yeah, I don’t actually like the Digis graphics either - actually I’ll rephrase to say I prefer the older Elektron style graphics.

:100: agree about envelope response curves though, the A4/OT being the best Elektron envelopes due to having the most options, but even those could have a bit more variety for my needs. But I have been beating that dead horse for so many years now it is just an outline on the floor now :laughing:

1 Like

It´s just sad and such a missed opportunity. And you can hear it too. Even thou the Syntakt is very capable, the lxr-02 can be more punchy and dynamic from what I have seen. those curves that mimic the percussive nature of sounds just make all the difference.

1 Like

I could never work out how I would make use of it but it’s a fantastic module! XAOC I would say are a Eurorack company with good UX as well.

1 Like