Behringer Eurorack Modular

A4 is a killer sequencer for Roland modular though -accents and slides!

2 Likes

I was never that interested in that osc. But now I kind of want one!

very true

Hmm. I think that’s difficult to find one that low priced.
Did you own the later modules as well?
If so did you prefer the 505 filter over the original filter?

I sold my full set (the original 5 modules) with a Disting mk4 included for £1100, a quick tally of the equivalent Behringer with similar case and PSU would be around £900.

I never got any of the second run of 500 modules, but the demos I heard of the 505 sounded very nice.

1 Like

indeed, they do.
In germany someone is selling the 5 original modules for 1000 without case. I‘ll keep watching second hand prices.

Maybe the prices dipped a bit before the issues with the Behringer were well known, one full set sold a few weeks before mine for £900, the guy who bought it also bought mine.

1 Like

the 2500 modules look insane

4 Likes

This is at a discussion phase, so there aren’t firm details yet. But they’re saying $29 USD — how’s that for affordable Eurorack ? Some pretty pictures of a rack of these.

Nice because it’s cheap but without CV inputs for modulation of some (or all) effect parameters it’s not that very entertaining and/or useful I guess.

1 Like

been looking at this stuff…i’m semi-interested. i have my neutron sitting next to me and i know i can take it apart and put it in eurorack. still very confused about all things eurorack though (case, power, buses, whatever) and i’m wondering what the most bang for my buck is. i also don’t understand how to convert MIDI to CV? like if I wanted to sequence this stuff with my Octatrack. or even just have the damn VCO modules be in tune so that a C is a C.

lots of questions. seems all of those system 100 clones are out in the wild though on sweetwater. might be worth pairing one or two of those with my neutron and see what happens.

There are modules (or desktop units) that exactly do that, convert midi to cv. Depends what you need, notes (to pitch cv and gate), duophonic, poly or just a mono voice to pitch cv and gate but multiple midi cc (Octa lfos to cv), midi clock, trigger outs…there are many different midi to cv converters available.

Hexinverter Mutant Brain, Mutable Instruments Yarns, Doepfer Dark Link (desktop) Doepfer A-190-3 (module), Sixtyfourpixels CV.OCD for example…

2 Likes

So many questions…

I imagine if I plan to install my neutron in a eurorack case it would act as a midi to CV, right? If hypothetically I wanted to hook up another vco, would I take OSC pitch 1 and 2 out and put it into pitch CV in of my vco module? I only see OSC mix as an output, would that work?

So then I imagine I need to see how much HP a neutron takes up? And decide what case I may want based on that? Are there any recommendations for someone like me who wants to start small and maybe just add an LFO or a multiple for my neutron? You can buy some cases with a separate power supply and stuff. How do I install those bad boys?

Lastly, I saw a vid from behringer where he was controlling the system 100 with an arturia keystep. Was he just using pitch CV out?

Not sure if I suggested this to you or if was someone else, but the Nifty Case is excellent for the money. You get a powered case, enough room to get you started (although I would keep the neutron in its own case), and it has midi and usb so you can hook it up to say Ableton Live if you want. The only downside is that it only has two sets of cv and gate (plus clock and mod), and the output is mono, which sucks if you just want to jam with headphones. But NOT having to spend extra money on a mutant brain or other midi to cv module is a huge plus. You won’t necessarily want to gate an LFO, so you can use those gates and cvs for oscillators or whatever. I have one because I wanted a smaller box that was portable… it still hasn’t left the house… but it’s a solid piece of kit that I’ve had no issues with. I would also suggest the MI Stages clone due to super flexible modulation options. I think I got my clone from momo modular.

Edit: I would also drink as much as you can from the waters of YouTube for first time eurorack builders. I must have watched hundreds of hours (especially DivKid if you want GAS) of videos before I spent a dime on this stuff.

1 Like

I was reading reviews on the nifty case and heard mixed things…Also as crazy as this sounds, the Behringer Eurorack case is only $100 more. I’m open to any and all options though. And yes I should definitely do more research.

1 Like

yes

no. These are the audio outputs of each of your vcos or both vcos mixed together.
Seems you can assign cv output to the assignable output so that it sends the pitch you received via midi

many options, you should find many threads about small racks via google. Probably on muffwiggler. Popular cheap options were tip top happy ending case or doepfer lc3 but there are probably better options available today.

cv and gate out most likely.
you need a gate from your keyboard to open your vca and let audio from your vco through when a key is pressed. You usually send this gate to an envelope that controls that vca.

2 Likes

For plan pleasures: modulargrid.net

3 Likes

Basically the ‘Midi Gate’ output on the Neutron will output a gate when you hit a key on a connected midi controller keyboard, the ‘Assign’ output can output pitch cv when you hit a key on a midi keyboard (‘Assign’ can also output modwheel and other midi ccs, you can configure that on the Neutron).

If you configure it to output pitch and you wanted to control a small modular voice like oscillator - filter - vca - envelope you would patch osc output into filter, filter into vca and the envelope controls the vca (envelope output into vca cv in).

Now when you press a key, the pitch cv controls what the osc plays, the gate opens the vca via the envelope. The filter could be modulated from an lfo on the Neutron for example.

Just so you get the idea. :slight_smile:

Here’s a video that shows how to convert midi to cv on the Neutron.

Since rack space is precious and the Neutron has its own power supply you don’t have to install it in a rack, though.

Have you checked VCV Rack? VCV Rack would be a great way to learn modular, you could even use a midi keyboard to mimic the Neutrons midi to cv conversion capabilities.

VCV Rack has all Mutable Instrument modules, some from Erica Synths, Befaco and other modular manufaturers as well as a ton of modules that only exist in VCV Rack.

5 Likes

I was just looking at the two sequencers, the:

960 Sequential Controller (56 HP) — $139 USD

182 Sequencer (16 HP) — $99 USD

They’re both 8 step and pretty basic, but on the other hand that’s often what you want. There is enough difference between the two, but they’re close enough in price, to offer good options.

I see there are a lot of videos out on YouTube for both of them.

EDIT; Changed first image’s scaling to get them closer to scale. T.Y. chm_jacques !

The difference in HP is pretty significant, though, especially since those images are not in scale with one another.

I’m looking at the 914 fixed filter bank, since it’s about ~$300 cheaper than the cheapest alternatives I can find. I really like a fixed filter bank as a means of radically reshaping an audio signal; I might even get two to create spectrally distinct stereo images.

3 Likes