Behringer Gear Quality : Your Experiences

when the Composer came out it got good reviews. Got one and at first I liked it but over time I noticed it was only marginally better than the 3630.
Then it died.
Had several of their mixers. DJ mixers and small 8 or 12 input things.
All had bad EQ, were noisy and all had power supplies that died. Replacement power supplies cost almost as much as new units so those went in recycling.
I had a decent phaser or flanger pedal. Traded it for something because it was decent, and not noisy, but the click of the pedal was too imprecise.

Any experience with Behringer Umc1820 audio inderface?

I need some extra IO next to my babyface

1 Like

I have one that i use with my Akai Force. Seems fine for what i use it for. Havent had any issues.

1 Like

cool! yeah i don’t see particular bad reviews. good ones actually

how long have you had it for ?

Since June or something. But did some research before i got it, and it seems like a decent unit. People are pretty quick to tell about problems with Behringer gear.

1 Like

true! i was torn between and adat expansion from behri and my current rme or this interface.

seems the interface is a bit more flexible but with same IO.

and the rme will always be around if i need the preamps and the portability/quality

I have an RD-9 bought at Christmas with a faulty hi-hat output. I thought it was wiring initially, but managed to replicate the same fault with other cabling and send a video to the retailer.

It’s coming up for 4 weeks in repair now.

I have a Poly D and a TD3-MO performing flawlessly. Would of loved some midi controllers, but I would rather the build was solid for the lower price.

I have a TD-3 MO. I sold my RE-303 for 3 times the MO price. Nearly 8 times the TD-3 price.
The RE had midi but the TD(-3 MO) has midi & usb (& more twisty bits).

But I like old junk, or even new junk that sounds like old junk. I am currently struggling with getting new junk to sit in my mix right so I say the more old junk or new junk that sounds like old junk the better :wink:

1 Like

I have a Behringer audio interface. It is my third one. They last about 3 years and then crap out completely. In between, I tried another similarly priced interface, the quality was significantly lower, it had fewer inputs and it clipped like mad.

I’ve owned a few B pedals in the past, same kind of thing, they seem to be a great alternative to their Boss or EHX equivalents but cannot be relied upon for live work or long term in the studio.

I have a Behringer mixer, and despite the power supply being just as big as the rest of the mixer and oddly prone to coming unplugged, it sounds fine and does the job.

Overall, I feel like I am renting the equipment, but at the end there is more metal and plastic in the landfills

I’ve got a fair chunk of B stuff I’ve amassed over the years. I’ve got a (bought new in the 90’s and subsequently abused for years in a shared rehearsal space) Eurorack mixer that’s still going strong, if looking more than a little shabby. On the synth front I’ve not had any issues with any of my synths/drum machines of theirs above and beyond small issues out of the box (one osc of my Odyssey wanted spanning in and the filter cutoff trimmer tweak on the Monypoly) and damage I’ve caused myself (early rimzilla RD8 that’s been dropped and stood on a couple of times but still works as it should)

I’ve seen other folks who haven’t been as lucky as I have but you could say the same about loads of other manufacturers, Elektron included.

Have the V-verb Pro, about 13 years old. Gave horrible static and popping noise, I took it apart, reseated the connectors, and (most) importantly put insulation before the board and the case. You could see the little burns from it shorting out. It now works great.

Have “Powerplay” Headphone amp and the Ultrafex. Also about 13 years old, no problems. Then come the synths:

-Model D, probably their best product. Still have it even though I have the Moog Model D reissue.
-WASP. Still occasionally triggers double notes.
-Pro One, Crave, and Cat w/o problems
-Love the Odyssey, but the keyboard is really cheap. My son also bent one of the faders and it won’t straighten out.

4 Likes

the gear ive had has been fine mostly…except
rd8 - i had the rimzilla one… so flicking between instruments can get loud.
ms-1 - they never did get the glide fixed.
td-3 - seems fine.
rd-6 - seemed fine
pro1 - seemed fine, sounded nice.
td3-mo , its fine, not as different as i had hoped.

ive had other manufacturers with issues … more apple and waldorf devices have had issues than behringer.

1 Like

One of my first mixers was a Behri ub802 I bought new for $60 or so in 2003. Had no off button and was left on for many years. The LEDs don’t work anymore but it still works with crackly pots. Gave it to my partner. She’s happy with it. For the money it did better than expected. Avoided landfill so far.

Of the newer stuff I have bought from them, X32 rack+SD16 is a killer product. Totally happy with.

…and then the analog instruments: RD9, RD8, 2600, Deepmind12D, Model D, K2, Pro1, TD3, MS1. I had to replace the RD9 under warranty as the play button was janky. The Deepmind 12D was noisy but I took it apart and tightened the circuitboard screws, now its silent as anything. Besides that no issues… yet. Time will tell, but I have a Roland V-Synth, Korg Radias, Access Virus and an Elektron Analog Keys with issues, amongst other bits and pieces that cost a lot more and still broke somehow, so nothing is sacred, except maybe Clavia Nords.

2 Likes

I Googled this as my interest was piqued and enjoyed learning about it, thanks for sharing! I also found this amusing pic:

4 Likes

I’ve had one for a few years now. No problems at all. It replaced a mackie onyx rack interface that was a total disaster of a product (and I’m generally a big mackie fan).

And to the thread topic broadly, though I think I posted before this recent resurrection I’ve since acquired a few more of those cheap ass pedals. They’re all good so far. Two were new (impulse buys at $15 each), one was $5 at a junk shop, and one was being thrown away by someone who thought it was too cheap to be worth selling. The build quality isn’t top notch but I’ve paid a lot more for much worse (arion, some ehx, etc) and they all sound great. If not abused I expect they’ll be fine.

1 Like

I Love my Behringer Crave build quality is amazing and the sound for me is top knotch. Running through my Deluge which going through my Syntakt into and octatrack. Deluge is sequencing the crave and syntakt and master clocking everything. No experience with other behringer synths but I can highly recommend the crave excellent mono-synth on a budget with a huge sound and also semi modular so the sound pallette by itself is quite vast.

1 Like

My experience is you probably have to many synths already… So save up for the good quality ones and go with the Less is more but will last a lifetime approach… Just my 2 cents Quality over Quantity.

they seem to fix it in the mk2 now. At least on paper

I have a qx1204 mixer that replaced my mackie profx8v2 that just quit on me. Replacement parts (i.e. one of the main circuit boards) for the latter would cost me about as much as a new mixer, so I opted for a new alternative.

On the qx1204 mixer, the fader caps are a bit too plastic for me, but does what’s expected.
The built in effects are nothing special (then again I’d yet to see a mixer with built in effects that are good), but fortunately the aux send can be bypassed to an external effect.

Overall good quality that has lasted long, and it hasn’t just died out of nowhere (yet) - after several years - as opposed to the mackie predecessor.

UMC404HD - owned for 5+ years and its been in and out of the studio a lot and is still running fine. Used for Traktor on laptop, interface for iPad setup. Always works well with no issues and good value. Use the power supply with it rather than power over USB for best performance.

Pro-1 - Sounds great and good value.

BCR2000 - my fave product - I’ve got 3 - one as Zaquencer - strongly recommend anyone who likes sequencing on hardware to try one. 2nd is used as Ambika remote control, 3rd is generic remote for DAWs and other hardware.

ADA8000 - does the job for more IO via adat for live sound but doesn’t sound great for studio work

FCB1010 - new acquisition - build quality seems great and lots of community support - not put it through its paces yet. Probably gonna use for channel mutes, patch change and vol/cutoff control…

DI800 - does the job but not as clean sounding as my Palmer Pan16

X32 - don’t own one (I’ve got an SQ5) but used one many times and it does it’s job very well and is feature-packed for the price but very large!

X-Touch Mini - got 2 to use with my other gear when out and about but not really evaluated them properly yet. Does the job but the encoders are a bit wobbly for my liking. But can’t fault it for the price so far (2nd hand)! They are also a bit bigger than they look in photos and the USB socket is in a stupid place on the side.

Want to try the 2600, Neutron, Cat and Wasp for sure!