Behringer Solina String Ensemble

Me too

2 Likes

It will be interesting to hear comparisons side by side… but when I checked it out on the MPC it wasn’t very convincing. But in a mix? Maybe. (The Streichfett is also a digital recreation and can sound pretty legit with other instruments.)

The OG stringers sound the way they do because of their organ divide-down circuits, and of course real analog phaser/ensemble fx. I had a Lambda for awhile and I can’t imagine any digital facsimile doing it justice.

Always with this caveat attached :
… once we have the required chips to put it into full-scale production.

Once that happens then does this still apply ?
Estimated Price - $359 USD

We shall see.

It does sound great. The circuit board design looks great, i love that Behringer chooses to follow along with the technology that made the synth special when it was first made, even if there would be cheaper ways to do things. And the phaser addition is good with the audio input too, nice additions.

7 Likes

There comes a time though where a company must act not just showcase. This one is special. Not knocking the mini pops stuff recently announced by Behringer, but this is going to be huge for them as its been in testing for a long time. So i think this one will become available first. The semiconductors will be prioritised. This is just a hunch but a calculated one.

Lol I immediately starting googling thinking you meant they were bringing out Korg Minipop clone(s)

Excited there for a minute

3 Likes

The CV options look entirely disappointing. Why not something useful like CV control over the envelopes, filters, pitch, etc etc?

The Solina is althe one most people think of but the Yamaha SS30 was the king of string synths IMO. Shame Behringer didn’t focus their attentions in that direction.

2 Likes

If their output is any indication, all it will take is some mass prodding on their facebook suggestions group. But if the synth isn’t well known enough they likely won’t do it. Octave Cat is kind of an exception but it’s a cult synth.

Sounds lovely, but MAN is it ugly.

3 Likes

I’ve got one if they need a borrow… for a fee😂

1 Like

Hehe

It goes well with their CP30 piano.

1 Like

Yeah that fake wood veneer certainly evokes an emotional response.

3 Likes
5 Likes

eta?

I know clearly not in keeping with the original but I would’ve loved to have seen a filter slapped on this thing. I mean they did it for the RD8 & 9.

Month of Junember will be out

noiCE!

I’m quite interested in this one as well given my love for 70s sounds (Headhunters, old Italian disco, library tunes, etc). Anyone have experience with the original? Aside from the strings are there any other interesting sounds in it? The bass sounded pretty decent in that Andertons video, and it almost sounded like a transistor organ or something at one point in that video when he engaged a bunch of the sounds together.

In listening to some of the Arturia presets for their VST, I heard like a trem or wah sound on the bass and it reminded me of some old Italian library music tunes I’ve heard. Not sure how representative the Arturia presets are though of the original.

The Arturia bass preset reminded me a bit of this cool tone at the beginning of this. Could be any synth though really.

I think I hear the strings in the background of this track, so maybe some of those other crazy sounds are the Solina as well?

1 Like

The Solina and other stringers were heavily based on 70’s organ tech (top octane generator and dividers) hence the similarity in sound.

It could be but to my ear the strings sound more like an Elka Rhapsody, another famous and ubiquitous stringer from the period.

Although the origins of the string machine are in the UK and the Solina was born in the Nederland’s, Italy was the spiritual home with a whole raft of them coming from the Adriatic Coast throughout the 70’s. Crumar, Logan, Jen, Farfisa, Godwin, Elex and others all released multiple models or differing specs.

I’ve said it before in this thread but I’ll say it again. The Solina, in common with most others models, had an Achilles heel in that whilst you got full polyphony there’s only one global VCA so note articulation is hampered, for instance when using slow attack settings. B have missed a trick if they’ve followed the same principles. If however they’ve upgraded the design to VCA per key it should articulate ‘properly’ albeit at a divergence from the original design.

2 Likes