Behringer System 15, 35, 55

I can’t wait to see your succulents and which face you’re gonna use to present your videos.

2 Likes

Neither of either… :laughing:

3 Likes

At these prices it’s going to be really hard to abstain from eurocrack…

2 Likes

1599 for a system 55? That’s subway sandwich money. I better check out the YouTube reviews.

2 Likes

With good reason. Funny, I was chatting on the phone with a mate of mine yesterday about this. Used to be a sound engineer now He repairs electronic stuff of all kinds, builds his own modules all that stuff. Has done it for many years. The Bery modules are very cheaply made, like very cheap. Which is a shame. And important details like, the jacks are not fixed to anything, the only contact point is the solder joints, same for the pots. Cheap tactile switches that will break , thin boards, crap traces, the list goes on. (He doesnt like repairing B modules due to the PCBs.)

Its a shame because for not much more money, they could upgrade all parts even jusy a tiny bit, and make stuff that will last.

Sure its a cheap way into eurorack. So lots of people will be thinking about getting one. Not for me. Ive been down the “buy cheap buy twice” hole a few times.

4 Likes
1 Like

Not many videos in this thread, so i’ll throw one in. Daniel Fisher knows this synth ( from using the Moog version a lot ), and i queued it up to a nice sounding part. The video is 16 minutes long, worth it, for the most part. He uses a simple ping pong delay in parts of the video.

He has videos for some of the separate parts of this synth linked below the video, and he details the System 55 parts earlier in this video too.

I think Behringer did a nice job buttoning up the parts here, with the large area at the bottom for your configuration choices too. ( Maybe ARP 2500 parts too ? )

I like the way they have two separate sub assemblies for portability and yet the combined pieces make such a usable interface as a whole.

2 Likes

It’s not necessarily a great entry point for Eurorack in general because Behringer kept the trigger format of the original Moog modular , s-trig (where a low voltage is a trigger / gate), instead of using the more common v-trig (where a high voltage is a trigger / gate). There are modules to convert between s-trig and v-trig but it makes it more of a pain to use in a Euro system, having to convert everything.

2 Likes

Ah, I did not know this! I assumed all trigs worked like the v-trig. Thanks for the knowledge drop.

1 Like

Do keep in mind that the System 55 has a knock-off of the 961 Interface. Which includes S-trig to V-trig conversion. If that’s not enough, making an adapter cable is quite easy, using only a few components:

I use my Moog system with my v-trig/1/4" system quite a lot. In fact, before I got more Moog cabinets, I’d begun to see my big Synthesizers.com system as little more than a Moog sequencer accessory.

Another to consider: an actual Moog will likely have lower audio signal levels than those you might be used to, so if the Behringer is accurate, you might need to boost and attenuate when shuttling signals back and forth.

5 Likes

Forget the succulents and random nick-nacks, Scott Solida is an innovator. He’s going to use bowls of cereal. Filled with milk, and a spoon! With a little bit of milk dribble here and there.

3 Likes

Probably the “strange cables” Fisher was referring to in the video.

It’s a balance for companies recreating historic hardware. You’ll get it from both sides. When is something a deficiency, and when is it something that defines the equipment ? I am no where near as critical on Behringer’s choice to hew closer to the tradition with triggers in this case.

So tempting…I was done buying this year and have a few euro things but a nice full system for this cheap…hmmm.

1 Like

Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch, to be precise.

2 Likes

See what I mean…that’s the cereal innovators eat. None of this “Oops All Berries” noise.

2 Likes

I have ordered a System 55 … now waiting impatiently :slightly_smiling_face:, several months backlog in Germany

Some questions:

Looking at the System 55 modules I do not see any phones or line level output, so I am thinking of getting either an Erica Synths Black Output Module V2 or a Doepfer A-135-3 plus a Befaco Out V3.

Some other modules in consideration to populate the bottom row would be:

• Behringer Brains to have one OSC a bit more “digital” in the portfolio

• Doepfer A-145-4 for some more LFOs in a very compact size - a Micro Ornament & Crime module looks like an interesting alternative, would offer the LFOs as one engine but also LOTS of other CV processing options

• Dopefer A-184-1 to add the ring mod, sample and hold and portamento missing from the System 55 modules

• Doepfer A-174-4 3D joystick for more “interactive” control

Any likely some FX / audio processing, thinking of:

• After Late Audio Resonate and/or Monsoon for textures / ambient / drones
  • Soma Lyra FX for delays and distortion
  • Happy Nerding FX Aid XL for CV-controllable multi FX

Any thoughts on these choices, better alternatives?

Thinking in terms of using the 55 in stereo ( or in quad ?? ) may help you figure out your additions.

How about a second Behringer 914 Fixed Filter Bank module, for ambient stereo effects ? ( See Sweetwater Synth Clips video on the 914, to hear this. ) Plus Behringer has lowered the price on the 914 now.

As i mentioned above the Behringer 2500 modules are possible additions too.

ALSO : Depending how you like to work, more different MIDI to CV might be a fit for you.