Best Drum Machine for classic Drums like TR 909,808,707

mfb, jomox, etc., that’s all pretty nice too, but in the end, as I said, I always want this TR sound, I just like it best. hence the consistent decision between a good sampler with punch like the digitakt or the tr8s. what still concerns me is the rytm, which you could get for the same price as the digitakt. do the tr samples sound better here? but then the midi control is missing again…it’s difficult;)

in my case, mono is ideal for drums.

1 Like

Nthing the TR-8s. It kind of feels like Roland’s interpretation of the Machinedrum: all of the classic Roland x0x sounds, setup to sound great out of the box. Very tweakable, but it really wants to guide you towards that Roland Sound, while the MD is constantly nudging you towards Elektron Weirdness. MD and TR-8s are probably the last two devices I’d sell, if pressed.

The TR-6s also seems good, but I’m leaning towards an MC-101 as an all-in-one travel machine. Or maybe I’ll go 100% ITB and focus on Live/Max/Bitwig. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

TR8-S.

Ive got one. Absloute trusty workhorse megabeast of a drum machine. Love the sounds, love the layout. Absolute joy to use.

Had a digitakt, got rid of it. Didnt like the auto normalise, didnt like the high end eq boost (you cant ger rid of It) didnt like the cramped buttons and knobs, didnt like the rubberised coating that melts.

Personally I dont mind sound design on the TR8-S at all. Button for button press its no more menu divey than any elektron.

All the classic kits are there, and the sound you can get just out of the box is hard to deny. If you like the TR machine sounds, the 8S is a no brainer.

Takes practice mind. But then so does anything.

5 Likes

Wait until the kits are available again, order it, wait a few months for it to arrive, and then just solder it together ;). Easy peasy :joy:

Then you’ll have the real deal :wink:

Of course that’s just a 909

3 Likes

How much do you charge for assembly? :thinking:

2 Likes

If you can live without song mode, the TR-8S. Otherwise, the MC-707, and gain its other benefits beyond drum machine features. Another option is the Behringer 808 and clones, and sample packs for 707 sounds.

1 Like

I think Roland nailed ACB on TR-8, TR-8S, TR-6S and TR-06. Can’t go wrong with any of those for classic TR stuff.

2 Likes

If you’re happy to buy used then a TR8 is another option. I picked up a boxed mint one for silly money recently. I was tired of using 909/808 samples and wanted something that is more instant and performance orientated than the Digitakt. Pretty sure it’s the same ACB technology as the TR8s, but obviously no where near the same sound design options.

2 Likes

After my flexing my troubleshooting skills, Steda did ask me to be a preferred builder.

I said I’d think about it. I haven’t thought about it enough to know how much I’d charge, let alone if I even want to :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

after a long time of tossing and turning, it will now become the syntakt after all. this forum is really nice, thanks again. I’ll probably get the tr8s with the classic sounds at some point too.

2 Likes

If you want the classic Roland drum sounds then definitely go with the tr8/6s. I first got the tr6s, loved it, but wanted to try the digitakt. Now I own both. I’ve sampled lots of the drums from the tr6s into the digitakt and haven’t used the tr6s since.

Yeah the faders on the tr6s are fun, but the screen and menu navigation sucks. I like the digitakt way more for sound design and performance.

1 Like