Best of poorly reviewed Pitchfork albums

:rofl: Every chance I get!

1 Like

Whoa! I saw a Tool music meme and thought of this thread

It missed the mark, but it’s not terrible. Just somebody who got really excited about Douglas Hofstadter, and then tried to make an album review out the style. It didn’t work completely, but I liked the hommage. 5.9/10

2 Likes

And at the other end of the spectrum…

(IMO it’s a great album, but I’m not sure anyone loves it as much as this reviewer)

1 Like

Someone had been reading godel, Escher, bach before writing this one.

I never listened to Underworld’s Oblivion with Bells in its entirety until today and was BLOWN AWAY by it start to finish; it feels like their most cohesive and complete record, to me. I decided to check out the Pitchfolk’s review of it and see it got a measly 6. What a joke!

their default mode still leans a little too heavily on Hyde’s increasingly silly beat poetry and the kind of unashamedly booming drums that haven’t sounded exciting since, well, 1997

I wonder how old the reviewer was in 1997… I would guess 13.

Funny thing, I looked him up and found this hilarious blog Rip Fork:

Mark, why do men write album reviews? What drives them to action? An idealist might say it stems from noble intent, that inspiration stirs when a man declares: I love music, respect musicians, and write with a steadfast hope that I might also enrich the lives of others through a craft. That’s admirable.

But who are we kidding? This is Pitchfork we’re talking about. If I read your review believing that sunny fantasy, I’d only be setting myself up for a grim shock, like watching someone kick a swan into a septic tank.

Maybe I’ll email that blogger this thread in the AM…

To be fair Drukqs wasn’t well received on its release. This isn’t just a Pitchfork thing.

We wanted more Windowlicker & Come To Daddy but got neither. It wasn’t concise like RDJ album or melodic like SAW or thumping like Classics. In 2001 SAWII was for weirdos. So of course Drukqs got middling scores.

Hindsight’s a good thing & should be encouraged. Drukqs matured well.

Pitchfork serves its purpose. Even if that’s just reinforcing that Frank Zappa quote… “Most rock journalism is people who can’t write, interviewing people who can’t talk, for people who can’t read.”

Those Tool, Autechre, NIN & Jet reviews are satire. Wouldn’t be surprised if Pitchfork’s old writers were more interested in taking the piss than listening to CDs other journos in boring spots like Rolling Stone had already covered.

1 Like