Best synth to do what an Access Virus can do

Ah OK in the character section. I have to say I don’t hear much difference between Vintage 1, 2 or 3 and they don’t make a lot of difference to the sound, unlike the other characters.

I’m a big Roland synth fan and zen core is cool/deep but it doesn’t sound like a virus.

2 Likes

agree well I have a Roland JX-08 on the way to use with my TB03 and TR08 for ambient stuff but will save for a Virus and Waldorf M. Classic synth wave, trance and house work well with those synths.

FWIW I sold my iridium to buy the TI polar and am very glad I did.

The iridium is nice, it sounds good it’s feature packed BUT it was glitchy enough for me not to get along with it, random crashes (white screen of death) and when messing around with the sample engine and modulation all kinds of crackles and pops and a very noticeable slowdown in the GUI both visually and responsiveness.

On top of that, the most interesting part of the synth to me (the Kernel engine) was all menu diving which imo is inexcusable for a synth with that many knobs.

I was also making a lot of sounds that the virus excels at so all that combined I decided to grab the TI polar instead and I’m very glad I did, I much prefer the sound and overall feel of the virus plus the OS is rock solid and it has nearly the same amount of features as the iridium I’m very happy with my decision though ideally I’d have both if Waldorf smoothed out the OS issues

3 Likes

Interesting and sad that such an expensive synth has all those issues. I’m hoping Waldorf fixes them in firmware updates and that the M does not have similar problems.

Despite Access being silent in the past like 5 years about Mac’s TI compatibility, stand-alone the thing is rock solid. And I have no issues on windows 10. In fact, better results than I ever had with Mac OS.

I keep saying I’m going to share some patches I made. Maybe it’ll be a New Year’s resolution.

6 Likes

Well it’s not just the Virus and Mac OS issues but many third party hardware synths I’ve had to use my other Windows PC to update.

It’s definitely a difference in philosophy with respect to drivers for Mac and Windows.

Mac pushes the onus on developers to keep up and has no qualms about breaking backwards compatibility.

Windows tends to keep all the onus on themselves to keep everything backwards compatible or at worst require running in a compatibility mode for the executable.

1 Like

Bit of a tangent, but question for the Virus heads in the thread:

What’s the best forum, message board, or mailing list for the Virus? I haven’t found a good place online to nerd out about going deep in to the Virus yet.

I have a C and it’s one of the last synths i would ever sell.

Honestly, it’s here.

2 Likes

What have you had trouble updating? I haven’t had any issues on any of my macs; the only incompatibility I’ve faced has been Behringer’s X-Touch editor being Windows-only.

These days probably not really anywhere, there was the official forum virus.info & infekted.org but I think they’re pretty quiet these days but there’s a couple of decades of posts on them.

http://infekted.org/virus/

1 Like

Endorphin.es modular firmware. Andreas at Endorphin.es even told me that newer Mac OS have issues with their firmware.

the virus is also really a classic. thanks for your info about the iridium. I’m having a hard time deciding if I should save up for it. I actually would have thought that it didn’t sound any better than a good vst instrument. but you said that the sound is excellent.

menu diving is not for everyone. i personally like devices with many functions. i think the crashes should be improved by waldorf on such a device.

1 Like

This sounds rad as heck.
Reading through this thread kind of got me interested, but they are way out of my price range at the moment

I like the more aggressive sounds the Virus can make. I think it does them in a really cool way that sounds unique and unlike other synths.

3 Likes

Agree. Psy basslines sound phenomenal on this.

there’s a facebook group that at least has some people active in it

I really would like to be able to make these neurofunk basses/leads with my MM2 and/or Blofeld and/or Typhon and/or Wavestate.
This sounds pack almost made me buy a Virus but well, no space anymore, and thanks to @sezare56 thoughts on MM2 vs Virus, I didn’t pull the trigger.
Bit out of topic so I may post in the DnB production topic.

2 Likes

I had a MM2 and liked it a lot. I even considered buying 2 of them and replacing the Virus with them. They’re both good at similar sounds, but sound different. I ultimately preferred the Virus and ended up selling my MM2. The MM2 can sound more analog, but I really like the nasty, crunchy, lo-fi-ish, digital nature of the Virus. It has its own sound imo.

1 Like