Best versatile microphone for recording singing + instruments in untreated studio

So in your opinion, for recording a hi hat or a shaker for instance, is eg the Re-320 from electro-voice gonna be significantly better than a shure sm57?

So I’m reviving the topic

I bought a shure SM57 for basic dynamic mic duties, and recording e.g. a snare.
I guess the next step would be a good allround large condenser mic to complement it. Recommendations? eyeballing the AKG C414 XLS, but maybe not worth the money? would be mainly used for instruments, singing, overhead.

AT4033a is a great choice that’s much cheaper than the 414. The 414 is way overkill for your first condenser. It does sound amazing though. I did all the lead vocals for my upcoming album on one I borrowed and then used the 4033a for almost everything else.

Tnx, can get a rode NT-1 (black) including shockmount , stand and pop filter for 150 bucks, soundsike a good deal and might be good too? Any xperiences?

From my experience, the SM7B works in untreated situations better than a large diaphragm condenser mic, while still being more than suitable for good vocal work. As someone else recommended, if you get a 7B, get a cloudlifter to boost the signal when going into a standard audio interface.

1 Like

tnx, I generally find the SM7B a bit dark sounding, and idd the cloudlifter necessity, made me choose the SM57. Also the price difference, and this youtube movie:

The Rode will pick everything up. Can work better with a temporary booth set up with a blanket hung up behind it, but it still will pick up everything else in the room, well, that’s my experience with large diaphragm and untreated rooms

1 Like

If you’re going to get an LDC (large diaphragm condenser) the Black 2013/14 Rode NT-1 (4th generation I think) is an excellent first choice because it’s self-noise is ridiculously low. It’s quite a neutral sounding mic with a pretty flat frequency response. Good build quality and the shock mount and pop shield kit are well engineered too. Don’t scrimp on mic stands either - get K&M. Then if you choose to add a reflection filter later you’ll be confident it can support the extra weight.

But in an untreated room it will definitely pick up lots of room acoustic / reverb / background noise. So budget for some acoustic treatment to go behind the singer/sound source even if it’s just a couple of rails on the walls with some duvets hanging off them.

1 Like