Black Corporation Kijimi

Has anyone ever seen or touched this synth before? Ever since the promotional videos, I’ve been very fascinated by this piece of hardware, but I’ve never encountered anyone online who either has one or played with a unit outside showroom events. The few demos I’ve heard has me very intrigued, and the scarcity of any information has drawn me to save up for the unit.

Also, anyone here ever came across a Deckard’s Dream?

First time I hear of these guys … Their synths sounds nuts!!!

8 Likes

I’m guessing they’re busy with Superbooth stuff, but I messaged the company via their website a couple weeks ago and haven’t heard from them. I was inquiring about whether anyone will be stocking parts kits. I am psyching myself up to the task of building one. Anyone out there build one or thinking about building one?

Beautifully sounding synth!
Im waiting for a tabletop version - Kijimini :robot:

…hopefully that will cost less than 72.000 dollars

Currently building one. Its a long haul. Even with very good tools (which are pretty much required doing this level of DIY). I am taking a week off after my exams for my foundation degree just to build it. I took a week off last year to just do the SMD as It was a huge learning process and I am reasonably well experienced. (built TTSH , LXR sonic potions and a bunch of smaller fx).

1 Like

Not sure there will be a tabletop version. However. Why not build a tabletop case for it? I plan to make a nice wood rack for it with the expander (Deckards).

1 Like

Sounds amazing, I’ll keep an eye out for this one :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. It would definitely be a labor of love. With the 2nd child due any day now, it would probably take the better part of a year to build it (but could be fun and definitely rewarding). How tough was the SMT work? What size(s) were the components? Also - I assume you sourced the parts yourself, can you give me a rough idea on cost? Were you able to buy from a single source, or were multiple orders required? Sorry for the many questions.

1 Like

Wait, you can’t get it already made by BC? You have to build it yourself?

you can … it’s 3 times more expensive

2 Likes

More like 1.3-1.5 times depending on the cost of components. Of course, that’s the difference between paying $2500-2800 vs. $3750. Either way, it’s gotta be for the love at that point, considering what other synths can be had in that price range.

2 Likes

wooha I just realised that the kit was actually just for the PCBs … hmmm

1 Like

I build them to save money as I don’t have much. I also use it for soldering experience and I also want to be a synth designer when I get my masters. So I find building and looking at schematics and design are useful for me :).

3 Likes

Yes pcb only. No case no expander no components and no case. It is expensive.

I would advise a really good soldering iron. Weller or above. Work with tweezers. Alternatively use a solder pen. They are relatively large smd. They are caps to reduce noise in the circuits. Everything else is normal for what it is. But there are a lot of components. X3 more than a ttsh. However the build is more straightforward than it. I can’t remember the price for components at the moment. But I think it’s ending up being around 2.5k or so from memory. It will be a rewarding experience. After this I’m going to start designing simple eurorack modules. :slight_smile:
But even that doesn’t include the expander :/. But the metal case and wood frame and everything else!

1 Like

this seems useful :
https://www.dsl-man.de/display/DDRM/DDRM+rev.2+guide

1 Like

You can rely on DSL man. His site is a gem for diy synths

1 Like

Thanks @Zifor - that’s a lot of great information. I have a Hakko FX888, so I’m off to a good start. Maybe I should start pricing out the components and see where I end up. The tougher question would be Deckard’s Dream or Kijimi? I love the sound of the Dream, but all the modulation routing on the Kijimi is intrguing.

2 Likes

No problem @cold_fashioned :smile:. I think for me if the Kijimi was out first I would of gone for it. Imagine the slowly evolving drones! Then again cs80 is a hard synth to beat which will always sound fantastic However it GAS tradition there is only one answer. Both! Then an ob6 :wink:

2 Likes

Ha - Funny you mention OB-6. When I think about attempting this huge project, the OB-6 pops in my head as an off-the-shelf alternative. It just sounds so interesting. Of course, I’m not in the market for such a big ticket item at the moment anyway, so it’s fun to imagine.

1 Like