Bought a Mnm... Tell me what to do first

holy shit, I didn’t even know about this!

2 Likes

Yes! Absolutely.
Neighbor routing especially. This is the key to turning MM into a wild digital modular with 18 LFOs, 12 filters, and 6 delays.

First track I ever made with MM was using it as one giant neighbor’d single voice. All I had to add was Rytm kick and hat, send the MM through Rytm’s compressor and it was done…

10 Likes

that sounds sick!

2 Likes

My advice would be this: If, at some point, you start to think about selling it - don’t.

6 Likes

yes, wild digital modular is pretty appropriate. That track is pretty wild - are the distorted sounds also coming out of the MM?

1 Like

Check the behaviour of the hi pass filter, if I’m not wrong it will track pitch by default, which can be annoying.

2 Likes

Both filter parameters (base / HPF, and width / LPF) key track by default. You can turn it off for each parameter independently in the track assignments (kit > assign > key).

5 Likes

…but also good to thicken a bass sound. By default it’s two octaves below the fundamental frequency, so doesn’t really thin out the sound at all (from what I’ve experienced). If you set BASE to 8 or 16 though, and turn up the HP Q, it’ll enhance the lower frequencies, I use it all the time for my bass sounds.

The LPF tracking is equally useful imo, if you’re trying to emulate analog sounds (unless you’re trying to emulate a 303, in which case definitely turn it off), or if you set the WIDTH to a pitch relevant to your fundamental frequency, to ‘play’ the filter…

Of course, if you’re using the FM machines and want bright, sharp sounds, keeping the filter tracking on can somewhat annoyingly filter out some good tones, so YMMV :smiley:

I know I always respond when people suggest turning the tracking off, it just annoys me that a lot of people seem to think this is the one monomachine trick that should always be applied to any sound.

8 Likes

Yeah! Sold it twice. Want happen again. Hopefully the price goes down significantly so there’s no point in even thinking about it. :wink:

1 Like

Others than that. I wouldn’t suggest starting in the manual. This machine is very playable.

• Use all the machines 'til you know them. How they sound. What parameters there are. How to abuse them badly.
  • Then learn how to eq for better sound. Ex: Lower the volume param to 2/3. Set the Eq-gain -20% and set the Eq-freq by ear.
  • Dont forget to play madness with the arp on percussion and drums.
  • Explore routing.

…and don’t sell it. There are many uses for the :elmm:.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about the key tracking options in the assign menu, this essential for the FM machines IMO.

1 Like

Waking up to so much advice and a new synth sitting in the living room = my Version of happy Family. Thanks a lot guys :panda:

3 Likes

Have a read at @Tarekith’s compilation of EU tips & tricks http://tarekith.com/assets/monomachine_tipsandtricks.htm

2 Likes
2 Likes

You should perform the ceremonial dance of the MnM owner. I don’t have many regrets in life, but selling mine years ago is a big one.

2 Likes

The Nicholas Lem soundpack is great, learnt a lot from those patterns. I also regret selling my Monomachine, will have to get another one at some point.

4 Likes

The Master Volume is at maximum at 3’o’clock, any further is potentially undesirably adding a further output gain stage to the signal’s previous gain structure.

Some sounds you make will be naturally very soft, and in these cases the extra potential of the Individual Vol, and the Master Vol, become useful.

Reading this thread reminds me I need to give my brother some hard time over the fact he sold the sfx-6 years ago.
We used to rock out on that slab of metal together and it was much fun.

He didn’t even bother to save the sys-ex to retrieve the bangers we made on it!

WTB Pitchfork and petrol…

2 Likes

Step 1 - load a bowl
Step 2 - read the manual
Step 3 - turn on MnM and take your first dive down the wormhole

The Monomachine is still my favourite piece of hardware, such a vast/deep machine that is unlike anything else out there. Learn how to turn off HPF/LPF tracking, the default for a new machine is ‘on’, turning to ‘off’ makes a big difference. Have fun and enjoy!

2 Likes

I think step 1 is the best advice ever…

2 Likes