Budget ambient synth?

there is no best tool, its all subjective. so choose whichever you can afford and that looks most fun to use.

Its really easy to fall into thinking that getting certain hardware will make you sound like people on the videos who are using them, and be dissaponted in the hardware when it doesnt make you a better musician. Especially with samplers, what you put into them, is what you get.

Im sure that with enough skill you would be able to recreate that beat on any sampler that was mentioned in this thread, all of them just have different internal paths to achieving what you want.

but to SP 404 credit, it does has a tonn of great sounding FX to play around with :tongue:

Awesome performance, but maybe not everything has been created/edited on the SP-404.

Or SP-404 hero @NearTao has a great video about Ambient and Pads, it could give you a good idea of the workflow.

1 Like

I’ll need to revisit this again because firmware 3.0 adds a lot of interesting features that could allow for making more fun things on the mk2. Still wish there was a full wet for reverbs though… can’t help but dream :smiley:

Major sleeper in this department is the Korg Microsampler. Its kind of the last keyboard based sampler as they have unfortunately gone out of style.
Get one of these and a reverb pedal. Sample some old Italian prog or something. For maximum effect save up and get an SP404mk2 in the future to add to this rig.

If you’ve got the room look at old Ensoniq synth too. I had an ESQ1 for years. Multitimbral with built in sequencer.

1 Like

Sound advice… and something a lot people miss is that these musicians rarely are using a single device, there are loads of mixers, filters, staging, effects, and all kinds of other things “behind the desk” that ultimately contribute to the sound.

Plus, I think a lot of people forget that honestly, the most interesting thing is what they bring to the table through better understanding what they like, how they make choices, and ultimately coming up with their own path. Learn how your favorite musician did things, what their process is, what gear they used… it’s all fine… but if you’re just trying to imitate them you’re going to have a hard time learning why they did it, and it’s easy to loose yourself in the mechanics of it instead of finding your own voice.

Enough philosophy for one post though :smiley:

Hey @Hachu, I only read up to post 60 or so, but just wanted to add my 2 cents: I hear you on hardware being more inspiring, I think we all feel it in different ways.

But, since you made it clear you’re not very experienced with sampling, I really would recommend you to explore this and get hang of the basics in a free DAW before picking out the ideal hardware sampler (which btw doesn’t exist). In my experience, Elektron samplers are pretty fun and inspiring to use, but they’re way outside of your budget. The SP-404 MKII is a great option, but that too is outside of your budget and I can’t say I find it that much more fun to use than samplers in a DAW.

Really, what you’re after is quite simple: take some interesting samples, pitch them down an octave or two, drown it in a nice reverb, eq, resample, rinse and repeat. Regardless of which hardware sampler you end up picking in the end, I don’t think playing around with these techniques in the DAW for a couple of weeks will feel like an uninspiring waste of time. If anything, I think you’ll learn some stuff and maybe come to appreciate the techniques and have a better idea of what’s important in a future hardware sampler - or maybe you’ll realize you don’t nerd one at all.

1 Like

Keep in mind that a lot of that has to do with how those samples came to be. Maybe he did all the work of creating those textures in the DAW and then just exported them as samples on the SP-404? It’s easy to look at hardware jams and think it looks so inspiring and sounds so good, but especially when it comes to samplers, there’s no way of telling where those sounds were created (short of asking the artist, of course).

2 Likes

The best demo for a sampler is probably going to be someone going around recording samples and putting them straight into the device, tweaking the sound and making a quick track out of it.

2 Likes

All it’s going to take is a video of some dude sitting in the woods head nodding to the ambient beat they made with Koala app to drive home that point

1 Like

A search for “koala app ambient” returns

3 Likes

Ambient is about your approach, so how do you want to find or create the textures?

You’ll do well spend more time understanding sampling, how to start collecting textures, where to find them around you, what old sources on youtube or elsewhere can provide you with lo-fi, and then get better at degradation of the source material.

Burial’s process has little to nothing to do with synthesizers directly, and you can absolutely get closer than you think with only your Model:Samples!

Understand what sources to seek out, what thematic choices with vintage audio, understand how they were composed, look into trip hop and older hip hop sampling aesthetic (mid-heavy late 80s stuff that veers into slightly industrial processing like Public Enemy would also be fun.)

If you’re looking for textures to add, you can find some initial inspiration in goldbaby - dirt and layers

It’s fine to not start with that, but can give you an idea of what to isolate for.

To create your own sounds, you can edit ambient “silence” from movies and in something like audacity, to then upload to your sampler.

You can also do interesting things in Audacity with

Paul’s Extreme Sound Stretch
(an ambient godsend) and The AKAIZER Project can grunge up any source further.

This is of course creating starting material!

The trick for the tracks is to create a careful spacing between the noise and let the FX breathe and still be dynamic, not creating a solid cloud of smoke.

You want your percussive may-not-even-be-drum groove that the textures can slither in and out of, like a school of fish :slight_smile:

We are very happy to give tips as to how to do what you want with exactly what’s in hand, because what you are seeking is workflow and process!

And while perhaps difficult to get your head around, and we can’t promise we know burial’s secret sauce, the style and aesthetic are achievable and we all have our methods we can help you solidify your understanding of, or give you additional tools in your arsenal for emotional resonance and creating a similar aesthetic.

2 Likes

https://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16347&sid=69beeda3a199d10e63924f24e2eba295

Speaking of Trip Hop!l!

I was pretty amazed at how much of the ambiance of Silent Hill came down to smart, careful use of sample libraries i was even aware of.

Anyway @Hachu the most productive way others can help in your goal is getting specific, less “how do i do xgenre” or “how do i sound like Burial” as much as digestible language where we can suggest how to replicate one specific element or expression for you to build off in your own voice.

Sometimes there is language for the convention but making it up as you go or being descriptive can be enough :slight_smile:

There’s so much we do unconsciously without needing to explain to others that modeling and conceptualizing will help you more than any gear could.

2 Likes

This could be useful and perhaps fun to play with - about Soundplant

It’s mainly geared towards firing off one shots, drums or other SFX, pretty immediate and intuitive. Lacks MIDI control for the various knobs though which is a shame, would be nice to quickly tweak a bunch of samples with some physical encoders. You can shift click a bunch of keys to edit them all at once, give them all the same reverb for example. Looks like you can quickly record into keys too which could be great fun with a mic and some pots + pans.

It’s nice that there’s a VST version of Paulstretch now, I had some good fun with a recording of an organ and choir I made at the back of a cathedral. Had it playing out in the plugin and ran it through ReaVoice, which allows you to chromatically play any live audio source with a keyboard via pitch shift, it has polyphony and a basic envelope. A nice way to play your Paulstretched audio live -

3 Likes

A wee snippet of me messing around with this technique -

6 Likes

I still think Digitone is an amazing ambient machine!
@substan is king on showcasing that:
https://youtu.be/zUProkVj0dk
Sure it’s out of budget, but maybe it’s worth waiting a few weeks/months to safe some extra money.

2 Likes

This is beautiful :cry:

Does this kind of thing exist in a hardware?

Yes, a desktop computer or a laptop + audio interface + USB MIDI keyboard :wink:

But not in a standalone thing no, maybe something like that Organelle has a patch that can do something similar.

It’s hard to get away from the fact that even a cheap old laptop has more CPU and RAM than pretty much any of the standalone devices you’ll see talked about on this forum. I’m kind of in the same boat as you in that I wish there was something that did exactly what I want in a dedicated hardware box but there just isn’t, at least with software like with a plugin chain in a DAW + some hardware controllers I can get much closer to what I need.

This is why in my current setup I’m trying to use a laptop pretty much only as a sound source and polyphonic sampler for my OT, and recording the outputs live in a field recorder that I use as an audio interface. I’m trying to turn the DAW (Reaper) into just another instrument rather than what DAWs are traditionally used for in song arrangement etc. As much as possible I’m trying to set it up so that I’m not needing to point and click on things or stare at small things on the screen while I’m trying to compose.

3 Likes

beautiful stuff! encouraged me to download Paulstretch and investigate ReaVoice…or alternatives that I can use in Ableton. Derail over but a wonderful case for software approach and demonstrating unusual initial sound sources too.

1 Like

Surprised no-one is mentioning Micromonsta 2

Seems to me like the main contender. It has a crazy amount of modulation possibilities, its does poly, and has onboard fx even. And within budget.

4 Likes