Can Elektron please start selling MachineDrums again?

The MD can’t be replaced. The sequencer was transformational when it was released. I worked massive amounts of overtime in a windowless basement to afford mine 20+ years ago. It’s dying on me now, alas.

I’m sure many of us were hoping the Syntakt would resurrect the MD. If only the ST had 16x freely assignable dual LFOs, a core feature of the MD that for some reason hasn’t been replicated elsewhere.

1 Like

:rofl: Not enough for you eh? Or you just want it in the Elektron package? (me too)

1 Like

rings

4 Likes

Yeah, because otherwise it’s just collecting dust. I always wanted to sample that stuff, but if it’s not multisampled it of course sounds dead again.

A little bit of silly fun with Bass Station II and Rings from a long while ago.

2 Likes

I also wonder why they never put that much lfo power in their machines again. It seems like they lost the golden recipe.

1 Like

I feel too late to the party.

Me too. I never had a machine drum but 16 freakin lfo’s sounds almost too good to be true.

1 Like

The thing that really interests me about it is being able to use other tracks to trig lfos. Like instead of using compression you can have the kick trigger a LFO to duck volume on another track. Or more complex things like have the kick drum make the hihats shorter. That sounds really powerful for making sounds that interact with each other.

2 Likes

Well, Syntakt got Swarm and RAW, which is huge in my book.
And with the two LFOS, one can get a lot out alive sounding things out of the digital machines.
So there could be a lot happening …

1 Like

but, but, but imagine a Syntakt with 16 lfo’s!

Octatrack has 3x8=24 and has the LFO designer. I never feel a lack of LFO power on it. Except for when I do but it’s time to switch to Ableton at that point. Once you have too much going on in hardware I want the visuals of a DAW to make sense of it.

2x12=24 yes?

1 Like

suboptimal was talking about 16 FREE assignable lfo’s. Syntakt has 2 per track. OT 3 per track.

Throwing a bit of gasoline on everyone’s GAS:

That’s got to be harder to keep track of. I see why it’s powerful. I want the second destination per lfo like the A4 has more.

1 Like

Yeah maybe. Never had a MD. But when i’m using my DT or DN i often wish for 3, 4 or even more lfo’s per track.

Maybe one day there will be an AI program that can decode the MD and MnM software/motorola platform enough to easily make a VST, bring some machines back, or some other variation? That seems like the only cost effective way to bring any of it back, since it’s such a niche and probably low priority thing despite being somewhat in demand from ppl in the know

1 Like

Me neither. I agree more would be nice. DN has track layering so you can sort-of have more. It would be cool to have another track layering mode where the lfos stack. And a way to link the filters without having to resort to control-all.

1 Like

with a sound I hate since I first had an Adlib soundcard :joy:

2 Likes

I know it’s a pain, but have you tried using sample chains of many similar hits and modulating start point? Much easier on OT but still possible on the other sample players.

My Digitakt is collecting a bit dust as well, so far I’ve used lots of single samples (of the same sound) with random LFO -> Sample on the Digitakt. Which, of course, leads to sometimes repeated samples. Haven’t digged further in ways to get actual round robin.

(Speaking of “finished” sounds, like recordings of me hitting stuff or percussive synth sounds.)

1 Like