Can the Digitakt manipulate samples further than M:S?

I see they both have options for Pitch, Sample Start/Length, LFO per track and Delay/Reverb FX. Was wondering if there is anything more to Digitakt’s LFO or any other effects that I’m missing that would let you alter a sample deeper than on the M:S.

Thanks

1 Like

Bitcrusher full ADSR on amp and filer.

Thanks I forgot M:S only has decay and no attack.

Just debating if it’s worth the extra money for me. Though Overbridge sounds nice.

I think DT is better. I read some posts in the forum from people saying that assigning samples to track is better engineered on the MS and less limited as you have 512 samples to assign whereas on DT only 128 from the soundpool

Not sure but it feels DT has better converters, just sounds punchier with more presence, while MS is softer.

Super subjective…

You can resample on the DT, so short answer is yes.

1 Like

I also wouldn’t underestimate the value of the display. Being able to see the waveform on the DT is way more convenient than using your ears and repeatedly retriggering to get start and end points right.

Also DT has the ability to define the portion of the sample that is looped if the trigger is held. That can take you to instant glitch territory. The M:S doesn’t have that.

…m:s is a damned serious toy…and lot’s of fun…but apart from more hands down direct twiddling, it always remains restricted to one stereo sum…

while the takt, apart from a little less hands on factor, it provides single stems for virtual outputs via ob AND it can actaully SAMPLE STUFF…!!!

and THIS simple fact alone is worth the difference in price already…
apart from it’s separate midi sequencer capabilities…it’s full fledged modulation options…
serious envelope finetuning…
serious filtering options…
a lfo section that goes beyond all average…
way more options to shape and fine tune the fx…
and the simple fact that u actaully can really see what ur doing…
it’s a serious music instrument…
not just some nice to have sonic gadget…

with m:c it’s a different thing…so if u can’t afford a takt for now, don’t go for a m:s instead…
go for a model cycles…

I’d disagree, I’d go for samples over cycles personally as it’s more flexible. (I really like the cycles too but I’d take samples over it any day).

the takt was the device where I really got comfortable with Elektron gear (even tho if owned MD n stuff previously)
but I must say now I prefer the MS even tho it is more limited than the takt. the interface is a real joy to use.

MS & OT are my 2 current favourites. takt is still a great piece of gear tho.

Welcome to the forum!

Adding to the above, the DT can get super granular compared to M:S. The resolution for sample start is 0.01 on DT, but only whole numbers between 0 and 120 on M:S. Plus you can set a separate loop point on DT, whereas M:S only enables the whole thing to be looped between the sample start and end. In short, then, the DT is waaaay more flexible and the midi side of things kicks M:S’s ass. Also, having inputs is a godsend, as is the master compressor!

3 Likes

…since when is a one shot drum sample more flexible than drum synthesis…?

I really wish the models had audio in. what I’d give to be able stick me microfreak or typhon in pass thru.

2 Likes

Hell yes. Even audio over USB would be awesome!

It’s a shame Samples and Cycles can’t be paired without the use of a small mixer or whatever.

big time, its a shame.

1 Like

by that I mean you can make samples sound like whatever you want, cycles is limited. it sounds lovely but is limited.

MS isn’t limited to drum samples.

…but limited to the samples already in there, as long u don’t wanna bother a computer again to use transfer…

Yeah I have a Model Cycles now which I love. But definitely want something for sample playback. I like to use samples to find interesting rhythms not always just drum shots.

I’m an Abelton user who is trying to use the computer less (since work and other hobbies involve sitting at a computer). So I could see the screen of the Digitakt and OB being real helpful to bridge that gap.

…if so, u might wanna consider a second hand ot mk1…

cycles through an ot are my 1st choice, once off the computer…

and a second hand mk1 is good to catch for same price tag as a new takt…
if ur used to liquid audio, the options of a mono one shot sampler might bore u pretty soonish…

and with an ot u have two stereo outputs at hand, so ob options are not that much of relevance in first place…not to mention the further options of hosting ur cycles with it…
and resampling it also…

while all the sample mangle options and the realtime approach can kick u big time, when it comes to discover new innermoves of rhythmical surprises…

but all in all, m:s won’t do it for u…sampling first in ableton, then transferring and then hoping for discovering new sonic terretories via m:s won’t do the trick…
u need something that samples right away…so, takt or ot…

I kept my M:S for a sketch pad and to use as a drum machine, one-shot sequencer when I got the Digitakt. A few people have already listed the advantages DT has for sound editing. This is not the best phrasing but with the M:S you can alter the samples but you can’t get entirely new sounds.

For the big thing on the Digitakt if you want to go full on sound design is resampling. You can slowly sculpt a sound this way. You can keep layering and sculpting sounds as you go. With the M:S you pretty much have to do all that on another device/computer. For me this is the feature that really sets those two boxes apart as far as sound manipulation.

If you just want to sequence some one shots the M:S is worth considering because that is a hell of a price point and Elektron did a better job of making a new Electribe than Korg did lmao

3 Likes

Well as mentioned. The DT is a sampler. So you can bend your sample, resample it, bend that, resample again and so on, ad infinitum.

MS is not a sampler and so therefor cannot do that.

So to answer your question. YES. DT can manipulate samples further than M:S.

3 Likes