Changing patterns, and kits workflow

So I have a bass in Kit 1
and i have 2 patterns using Kit 1
say pattern 1, and pattern 2
if i want pattern 2 to have a different filter position from pattern 1
do i need to make a whole new kit? this seems a little redundant to me.
also if i would like to have a whole new sound instead of bass 1?
at the moment the only thing pattern 1 seems to hold independent from pattern 2 is note values.

also any workflow tips in regards to this?
thanks!
peace to you all :slight_smile:

New kit…

In fact, I just use a new kit per pattern to be sure I don’t mess up any of my previous patterns…

It’s just the way the A4 works…

OK Thanks!
That actually makes a lot of sense now that im learning Computer coding…
This is just a sort of Syntax The machine uses.

program:
pattern:
kit:
sounds: ?

(or something like that :P)

so for something simple like filter cuttoff or volume of Track 1 would you just make a copy of the old kit… or is there a special function for this?

I could just live record automation into the pattern as well, but that can be messy

One advantage of sharing kits between patterns is that they retain all settings, even those you tweak live, when you switch patterns. That lets you do stuff like switch between different variations, make chains, etc. If you use a separate kit for each pattern then every time you switch patterns your sounds will get reset unless you save the pattern before switching.

Can’t you just p-lock the filter position on pattern 2?

Otherwise, yes, duplicate the kit.

+1 but you need to unable the reload kit on pattern change function

+1 but you need to unable the reload kit on pattern change function[/quote]
If u unable the Kit-reload all it dous is keep the Kit’s - State it was in, when you where tweaking when you switch to a pattern with a different Kit. So this dousn’t help to avoid parameter-jumps.
So if you want no paramter-jumps while loading a pattern with another sound on 1 of the tracks , you have to use thesame Kit for both patterns but lock the other sound from the POOL in the following pattern. For every extra new sound on another track you want to change you’d have to use thesame process.

Offtopic: That’s the great part of the Classic mode switch on the MD.

I would also use the same kit as long as you’d like to use the same sounds, but use a new kit every now and then instead of p-locking everything (just for convenience).

A parameter jump that closes a filter almost never sounds bad, especially when you’re introducing new sounds at the same time, as I suppose you intend to do when changing a kit.

+1 but watch for a massive jump (w/ many parameters) which can be counter-immersive.
off-topic: How do you use classic/extended function on MD?

+1 but watch for a massive jump (w/ many parameters) which can be counter-immersive.
off-topic: How do you use classic/extended function on MD?[/quote]
For a while, classic mode was even my default mode. Have, say, 16 patterns with 16 kits. Jump through those patterns and tweak something in classic mode, create a build-up with CTR-AL, reverb, delay, LFO, filter, SSR, crazyiness… Press Extended (not shift extended), boom.

The initial idea was to find the easiest way for transitions, without RAM machines and stuff that might go wrong in a live setting. Say you have a track spread out on patterns A1-4 with kit 1. When you’re done with this track, you’d like to go to a different track on patterns A5-A8. Switch to Classic mode before changing to pattern A5. The listeners than get a feeling of the new rhythmic structure. Then press Extended to introduce the new sounds. In the meantime, I skipped this kind of scripted pattern structure. Improvisations and mangling on the fly, but the general idea is the same, just that the track to which I switch is empty before I enter some new trigs (on a MPC though, no MD at the moment).

PS: btw, there was this great RAMicizer patterns idea some years back that is really useful when working with RAM machines. Record the main outs into RAM, switch to a bank only for RAM remixing purposes with a different kit that only consists of RAM playback and CTR machines, lots of p-locks, switch back to the initial or another drum pattern to return to a standard beat.

That’s a fact - I sometimes really like it that the parameters jump back - wthout having to do a Kit - reload. it’s a great way to make build-ups without worrying about a Kit-reload- just jump to the rigt pattern…

[quote="“vos”"]

That’s a fact - I sometimes really like it that the parameters jump back - wthout having to do a Kit - reload. it’s a great way to make build-ups without worrying about a Kit-reload- just jump to the rigt pattern…[/quote]
This.