Choke group question

Hi all! A little question about choke groups.
Let’s say we have two sounds (two presets), an open hat and a closed hat. As we all know, in choke groups, if both tracks have a trig placed in the same position, the right track takes precedence in using that voice. then imagine the following pattern: CH on 1-5-9-13-16 and OH on 3-7-11-15
There is a real advantage in using two tracks for those instead of use just one track with soundlocks?
I would also like to take this opportunity to ask you how to make the most of the various choke groups?
Thank you in advance

The advantage I see is mute is easier with 2 separate tracks.

Think about a real drummer with its charley.
Check Nate Smith for instance…

Ahem well no, maybe this is too much next level :smiley:

3 Likes

I found it interesting to create notes variations with %TRC, without the need to use NEI TRC.

3 Likes

Different track lengths for open closed can also bring rhythmic interest to patterns

2 Likes

sezare can you give me an example please?

maybe haha :smiley: anyway easy mute is a good point

1 Like

nice one!

Bass line on track 4, with TRC.
Same bass line on track 3, one octave up.
When TRCs are not true, track 3 notes are played.

2 Likes

Just a quick tip: Sometimes a click happens when one track chokes the other. Try controlling it with a slower attack in the amp envelope or something similar.

2 Likes

Nice! This is a great usage! Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Sure, the OHH with a long release for a build can be really effective followed by a quick cut to pumping/choked CHH.

1 Like

uTiming can be useful as well (depending on what the end result needs to be) and as mentioned above, conditional trigs and different track’s length.
when using conditional trigs, FILL is also a good option and i would add that experimenting with different settings for the trigs is a good exercise too :smiley_cat:

1 Like