Classic Mode: Knob per STEP instead of Knob per PARAMETER

Here is a suggestion for something very very important that is missing in the Sequencer design.
Since the dawn of step sequencers, a big part of the programming was the ability to change the pitches of the steps in real time by the dedicated pitch (CV) knob on each step.
The Elektron way of accessing each step, by pressing it and then altering and recording that automation is great,
however,
if there was a mode where each of the 8 rotary knobs were dedicated to steps 1-8, and then next page 9-16 etc.
it would have been much easier to program a melodic sequence in no time and more intuitively musical within seconds.
On top it can be dedicated to whatever parameter you like, as a knob per step instead of knob per parameter.
Hope this makes sense. I think that could push the work flow kilometers forward.
Thanks!

Good Thought for all Elektron Machines

strange idea, this would drive me bonkers ha
the monomachine is fine as it is
why not just use a key board ?

Hey Orwell- not sure you git my idea-

Think of a step sequence running where all or some of the steps are engaged.
Now, its running as 16 notes ti ti ti ti ti ti… in real time you are tuning each step to create a melody just like we used to do in the traditional step sequencers. The fact that you can reach with your hands and change pitches on the fly for any step is the most musical and intuitive way of creating step sequences and that is the tradion…
Now imagine having different parameters assigned ti the “classic knob per step” mode… its endless and much more intuiti=ve then the parameter locks which are essentioally recording automation…but without inter relations as you have to assign each step separately and cannot tune 2 or more steps at the same time to find their sweet inter relations…

hope i make more sense…

“Missing”?

Monomachine is of course a ‘keyboard’ type of synth. You can get all the pitch variation you want, and in real time, just by plugging in a keyboard (or using the one built into the unit). Works great for me. You can also adjust and record pitch changes (in real time) in Live Record mode.

No offense, but trying to fit Elektron into the way things have been done since the “dawn of step sequencers” just seems regressive to me. I like that different machines/companies have different ‘ways’.

Another way to look at is; more knobs means more shit that might break or go bad.

What keyboard is integrated into the mm? have you ever seen a keyboard?..:wink:

Even if there was, altering pitch on a step sequencer sans keyboard is a totally different experience…

Also, do you think EVERYTHING is new on the MM? are you kidding me? 70% of this machine is like any other old synth…

You don’t have to like it but maybe you have never used a proper step sequencer…
I dont see whats wrong with having another “view” to the programming flow…

Dont be so scared of the…Past…:wink:
LOL

You don’t have to use it, although you just might fall in love with that method if you do. However, since your style was dismissing i couldn’t care less about what you like or not…

I have been programming sequencers since the 80’s and into the latest technology, and let me tell you, some of the old methods bring special results unlike any other method…

YMMV…:wink:

good idea

never gonna happen, no more development for the MnM

buy a frostwave fat controller or roland ef303 and hook it up,

Yes,since we’re heading back to the dawn of things you may want to check out the original Monomachine and the sixteen trig buttons are a keyboard of sorts on the desktop version.

I have to admit that I can’t see how that could be musically intuitive and you’d have to have incredibly fast fingers to adjust a melody on the fly even if you were working at 30 bpm, with a keyboard however…

It seems like were just not transmitting on the same wavelength. forget it.

i get what you mean about the immediacy, but i think getting note precision with the knobs would be tricky? i find knobs are good for getting to the extreme ranges quick, but for notes i think you could still only work one knob at at time. i do find using the arrows can be slow. i like the analog4’s mini keys.

maybe i’ve missed it, but i think a “sticky” mode where you choose the trig you want the note value on and then could immediately use the trigs to enter notes, without using the arrows would be nice. i know when i’ve used external MIDI to do this it’s been fast enough for me. ymmv

Lets put it this way, the “Classic” Step Sequencer, which i still use in my modular rig and with my vintage analog synths, with the step dedicated CV knobs, provides a certain workflow that leads to certain results.

Just like cooking in a pan vs. baking in an oven. Just different results due to different work flows.

Since the facilities are already there(knobs exist, software exists and probably an easy software tweak), i don’t see the harm in having a “Classi” mode such as i suggested for people who love it and people who would be introduced to it.
I know from years of experience that this specific work flow is great and brings awesome results.

I am not saying it should replace any other work flow, just a great addition.
As always-YMMV;)

Care to post a video or something of a sequencer like you are talking about? The first thing that came to mind was a sequencer like on Thor from Reason: http://www.musicappblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/thor-routings.jpg

As far as I’m conceiving it, I can’t see how it would be an improvement over the current sequencer…the last thing I want to tweak very much is pitch. In fact, on the other Elektrons I kind of hate dialing in the pitch with a knob.

Anyhow, while you seem to think it would be a simple implementation (if there were much more development for the Mono to come…unlikely), the whole Elektron paradigm is based around their sequencer, p-locks etc. If I understand you right, you’re suggesting that they add in a different approach that bypasses this only for tweaking pitch on the fly?

Maybe they will start selling Whoppers at McDonalds too.

I think we all get it
but such a method of sequencing is counterintuitive
something like the ms seq on the iPad or arp 200)6 seq drives me absolutely nuts
elektron took the traditional sequencer and made it really easy and quite breathtaking
you could try the machinedrum seq pitch, just p lock each stp with the pitch
all the best

I don’t particularly want it on my MnM…but I do like the analog seq approach - I love sequencing my analogues via my Dark Time - it gets you away from the tyranny of the keyboard, if you see what I mean ? I think though, it works superbly for analogue gear, not so sure for something like the MnM…Could be fun though, I wouldn’t say no.

It took him about twelve seconds to zero in on his first note and ten for the second note, people are going to be begging Elektron to add this feature to all their melodic machines.

Depeche mode, Krafwerk and most classic electronic music was made in this workflow.

With the Elektron gear, we can have several parameters being accessed in this “view” mode, where you have a knob per step instead of a knob per parameter.

Its fun and its creative, and if it makes someone here annoyed he is welcome to leave the thread. Its not for you;))

I dont see why we are even having an argument here… its retarded, You don’t have to like it. Different strokes for different folks. Dismissing it is pain stupid.

If it were an option already built into the Elektron sequencer, I’d probably use it. But I doubt it is something they would add to any of their existing equipment. If the Nebula mixer/fx/sequencer idea ever comes to be, then maybe.

Personally I feel like the MnM has a Knob per Set per Parameter. It’s the exact concept you are interested in only taken to a much more powerful level. I can understand people wanting to input pitch with a knob, though personally I always seem to get better results when I step program the pitch values using a keyboard.

Since i am a recording studio owner and work on a large console, im from a philosophy of being able to send your hands to several places at once, tweaking several console tracks at once and responding to the relationships between them, This is quite similar…

The pitch tweaks become very musical when you tweak several steps on the fly. Much more fun then going through 2 or 3 button pushes to get to the page, and certainly less fun then being able to tweak several steps rapidly.

Trust me on that…